Have you been to a tea shop (recently)?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ChrisF

Have you been to a tea shop (recently)?

Post by ChrisF »

I have noted Mickf's question earlier about going to a pub. The background to my question here is a bit different.
For the last week I have been travelling in my campervan, and cycling every day. I have stayed at two campsites; breakfast and evening meal both made in my van. But during the day (on my bike ride) I have been visiting cafes - as I usually do on a ride.
What strikes me is the enormous difference between how cafes are interpreting, or applying, the guidelines about Covid-19.

In six or seven cafes (and one pub) I have only once been asked for my ID, and at this one I was sitting outdoors (I never went inside).
    One cafe, a large one in a touristy town, seemed to make no effort at all (no signage, no sanitizer available, staff not wearing masks, tables not sanitized between guests, tables 2m apart from their centres but not between seats, cash preferred over card payments).
    I've only used cafe's toilets twice but in neither case had they seemed to have given any thought to the use of these (e.g. needing to use two door handles, to get both in and out, and no sanitizer in sight)

So I'm just wondering about others' experiences. Ironically, if i get a track-and-trace call as a result of my travels this week, it will be from the cafe least likely to have exposed me to the virus. In the meantime I think I'll buy more snacks in a shop beforehand and be more self-sufficient on my rides. I'll miss the coffee though :(

for anyone interested, the guidelines are here. There don't seem to be any hard-and-fast rules, it's mainly about risk assessment.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5eb96e8e86650c278b077616/working-safely-during-covid-19-restaurants-pubs-bars-takeaway-090720.pdf
Chris F, Cornwall
Paulatic

Re: Have you been to a tea shop (recently)?

Post by Paulatic »

I thought I might get lucky today and find one open. Just as well I carried a sandwich 40+ ml and I passed one pub and beer garden open. Nothing else :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Visited two cafes in our area this week and both doing what I presume is the law in the way they operate. Both require that you sign in (name, date and phone number) so you can be traced.
One had it that you could only sit together if you where from the same household. Also had screens between separating tables.
The other we sat outside so no idea of the seating arrangement inside.
Both had 2 metre spacing while ordering at screened off counters.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Visited the white hare cafe in Kirby Stephen, excellent cafe BTW recent name change from red geranium cafe. A few tables missing, Sanitizer cable tied to the outside roof cover part before you touch the door to get in.

Once in the owners who also run it use anti-bac spray on all surfaces including the spindles in the back of the chairs and the menu. They then use paper towels to dry everything before directing you to your seat. They then give you a sealed pack of dog treats if you have one with you before taking your order. They've got sanitizer in the entrance to the corridor leading to the kitchen. You go that way to the toilet and everyone was using it before returning to their place or returning outside. A lot of customers got takeaways and ate/drank them outside. I'm fact most customers didn't come in.

The owners were practically overrun with customers and struggling but being very industrious the customers were all ok waiting. It's a very good cafe before COVID and after. They had only opened last week on Thursday and was quiet all that weekend so they ordered this weekend expecting similar. Saturday they ran out. They say it's hard to predict what will happen and how many customers they'll get. One day they didn't even recoup their costs.

The one point about that cafe I noticed was a certificate from the local tourism group that certified they were working in accordance to the current advice on opening during COVID situation. I don't see that as affecting my view on a cafe because I make my own judgements based on what I see. However some schemes like that might reassure some.