Earths falling population....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Earths falling population....

Post by al_yrpal »

I find this article very interesting. Will the human race dwindle away globally with increasing numbers of old people needing to be supported?

BBC News - Fertility rate: 'Jaw-dropping' global crash in children being born
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53409521

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Re: Earths falling population....

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not falling yet, not in our lifetimes, rather rising less slowly I think

But nobody knows what might happen tomorrow, let alone in a few decades
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 15 Jul 2020, 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Rising in Dover nearly every day
uwidavid

Post by uwidavid »

I think this is misleading. First the rise in population now is actually higher than in 1950, but these studies use % change.
So a smaller percent change in a big number is seen as a population slowdown.
(The world population in 1950 was about one third of what it is now).
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

It might be a difficult change or transition but I’d be very pleased if the World’s population did somewhat decrease. Working habits will change considerably over the next century and various forms of automation will transform every day life. Full retirement for all might become a thing of the past but not everybody will regret that. I met an acquaintance a few days ago who when they turned 80 gave up their job in a local shop and several years later very much misses it. Many retired people would happily work again, be more socially useful and pay (consequently) pay more in tax if the work was there for them.

Young people need support when they are having and raising children. As a Grandparent I’m happy to give that support - lucky to be able to too - and that support is a very valuable way of stabilising the population. Two or one child per family could become the new norm but it isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s just a thing to be worked with and to be understood. Might be worth learning some lessons from the Chinese experience and avoiding some of their difficulties.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that a slowing fertility rate is a good thing. And maybe it is a natural response to excessive population, as well as birth control and the increase in education & careers for women.

As we are living longer, we will contribute for longer, as well. It is a slow change, so society will adjust.

Talking about the the human race disappearing due to decreasing fertility rate, at this point seems silly.

There are far greater existential threats, and TBH, I think if the population reduced significantly, and the planet was still able to support increased population, the fertility rate would probably increase again.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The late Rosling. I've linked before, and likely will do again. One of the most insightful hours one can spend IMHO:

https://youtu.be/FACK2knC08E
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Amusing synchronicity going on there - just as The Earth finally gives up under the strain of too many human animals (see Siberian heat-wave and think about clathrates...), the human's collective psych realises what it's done and attempts - too late - to slam on the brakes! Gaia 1, human sapiens - nil...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

For those alive in a world with half the current population it might be a much nicer place to live.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Even amidst the deadliest global virus modern society has ever seen, world population has increased by a whopping 44,000,000 so far this year. The plague of humans infecting the planet is far from in decline.

Meanwhile it is estimated that 100 - 200 species go extinct every single day with a further 1,000,000 other species on the brink of extinction.
https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopme ... ed-report/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yakdiver wrote:Rising in Dover nearly every day

As a result of displaced people from wars we either fund in the shape of arms sales to despotic regemes or we start firsthand without thinking where it will end,then abandon.
We reap what we sow
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Pebble wrote:Even amidst the deadliest global virus modern society has ever seen, world population has increased by a whopping 44,000,000 so far this year. The plague of humans infecting the planet is far from in decline.

Meanwhile it is estimated that 100 - 200 species go extinct every single day with a further 1,000,000 other species on the brink of extinction.
Truly, we have wrecked the place... however our host may have a cunning plan up her sleeve :-)
C19, as diseases go, is small beer (so far...). Consider The Black Death - I read that it may have done for over half of the population of Europe, during the outbreak in the mid 17th century!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:The late Rosling. I've linked before, and likely will do again. One of the most insightful hours one can spend IMHO:

https://youtu.be/FACK2knC08E

Fascinating and very insightful,thanks for that :)

Would I be the only one with tears in my eyes when the Mozambican father got his bicycle?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:
Pebble wrote:Even amidst the deadliest global virus modern society has ever seen, world population has increased by a whopping 44,000,000 so far this year. The plague of humans infecting the planet is far from in decline.

Truly, we have wrecked the place... however our host may have a cunning plan up her sleeve :-)
C19, as diseases go, is small beer (so far...). Consider The Black Death - I read that it may have done for over half of the population of Europe, during the outbreak in the mid 17th century!

But most of the world then had no idea how to tackle such a huge problem.
It'll be the ignorant and downright stupid who'll suffer worst from such epidemics and those won't be the people we might think.
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sars-Cov-2 just one in what will become a stream of pathogens that reach pandemic levels - referred to as "a once in century event" this morning by a cabinet member, by contrast, it will become the norm as the planet gets into its stride, dealing, in its own way, with irritants like us.
S