White Working class Boys left behind

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

White Working class Boys left behind

Postby mercalia » 16 Jul 2020, 10:59am

The lost boys: the white working class is being left behind: These children are the forgotten demographic

In education:

Black African British children outperform white children, whereas black Caribbean children tend to do worse. Poor Chinese girls (that is to say, those who qualify for free school meals) do better than rich white children. But, interestingly, the ethnic group least likely to get into university are whites. With the sole exception of Gypsy/Roma, every ethnic group attends university at a higher rate than the white British and, of the white British who do attend, most are middle class and 57 per cent are female. The least likely group to go on to higher education are poor white boys. Just 13 per cent of them go on to higher education, less than any black or Asian group.

Capture.JPG

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-lost-boys-the-white-working-class-is-being-left-behind?

Yet while white working-class males are the largest disadvantaged minority, their cause is the least fashionable. In the intersectional pyramid of victimhood, white males are at the bottom, tarnished by ideas of ‘toxic masculinity’ and ‘white privilege’ despite the fact that in Britain class has always been the most significant indicator of true privilege.

comments?

on the other side of the coin what do people think of this story

British Vogue editor Edward Enninful has said he was racially profiled after being told to "use the loading bay" by a security guard as he entered work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53425148

seems to me he is missapplying the term? properly applies to organisations. I bet the security guard didnt know who he was ( if its any thing like my lidls the guards move around so they dont know who's who?) and I bet most black people who work there & turn up in casuals do manual jobs; seems to me he has a chip on his shoulder of victimhood. I would rather have enjoyed telling the guard who I was and seen him cringe and let it be ( rather than turn it into crusade point)? cetainly not broadcast it over the media as he is implicitly generalising the matter in the way the guard was? an ignorant man in a postion of power?

AND it seems Shamima Begum can return to UK to fight citizenship, Court of Appeal rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53427197

Ben@Forest

Re:White Working class Boys left behind

Postby Ben@Forest » 16 Jul 2020, 2:54pm

The Guardian reports today that, people are more likely to say that racism has got worse or stayed the same during their lifetimes'. The key fact that appears to be missing from their article (though maybe not the study itself) is the age of respondents which is evidently going to influence such a study.

Apart from growing up in an era of casually racist comedians and TV shows such as The B&W Minstrel Show (tho just too young to have knowingly seen it) l also heard casually racist jokes at school, at work and from a comdian in a pub, at a time when such jokes were already been seen as a bit 'off'; at least some people in the pub looked uneasy about it.

Jokes which insult or diminish people through race or nationality have all but disappeared, the last time l heard an 'Irish' joke it was told to me by an Irishman. Ethnic minorities are in jobs and positions you never saw them before. It is de rigueur to have black people in TV adverts (and at a far higher incidence than is in the population). That's not to say racism doesn't exist but for those of us who are 40+ and certainly 50+ there's no way it hasn't changed in our lifetimes.

merseymouth

Re: White Working class Boys left behind

Postby merseymouth » 16 Jul 2020, 4:12pm

Hi, You forgot "Love Thy Neighbour", Jack Smethurst, Rudolf Walker, Nina Baden Semper, all stereotypical stuff.
Most folk squirmed at the Smethurst character!
Mind you they bred programmes like "Desmond's", were the boot was on the other foot!
All of us have preferences in life, but must avoid prejudices. Enjoy total diversity in all things. TTFN MM

pwa

Postby pwa » 16 Jul 2020, 5:47pm

All lives matter, of course. The reason that the slogan Black Lives Matter took off is that some people seem to have left black people out. To respond to that with other groups who also matter (as all do) is surely an attempt to refute the notion that black lives are being undervalued. Or an attempt at distraction.

White working class poor certainly exist, and it is a problem worthy of our attention. But raising that separate issue as a response to concerns about another problem is curious and frankly disturbing.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 16 Jul 2020, 6:42pm

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 17 Jul 2020, 11:03am

pwa wrote:All lives matter, of course. The reason that the slogan Black Lives Matter took off is that some people seem to have left black people out. To respond to that with other groups who also matter (as all do) is surely an attempt to refute the notion that black lives are being undervalued. Or an attempt at distraction.

But raising that separate issue as a response to concerns about another problem is curious and frankly disturbing.

Reference to the fact that there is a white underclass is not an attempt to refute the notion that black lives are undervalued.
Of course if you may feel that an underprivileged black youth is deserving of more consideration than an underprivileged white youth.
We have seen the loss of those semiskilled industrial jobs that were readily available in the 50's
Many of the communities left behind when those jobs went were predominantly white - the white youth youth in those areas are underprivileged every bit as much as underprivileged black youth in the inner cities.
I saw on the television images of white middle class people kneeling and renouncing their "white privilege" - well many of the white youth in the neglected former industrial community would be struggling with the idea of their "white privilege"
It isn't a competition - many of the youth of all ethnicities in our country have poor prospects - lucky if they can get a zero hours contract while the billionaire at the top of the tree watches the money roll in.

pwa

Postby pwa » 17 Jul 2020, 11:30am

ANTONISH wrote:
pwa wrote:All lives matter, of course. The reason that the slogan Black Lives Matter took off is that some people seem to have left black people out. To respond to that with other groups who also matter (as all do) is surely an attempt to refute the notion that black lives are being undervalued. Or an attempt at distraction.

But raising that separate issue as a response to concerns about another problem is curious and frankly disturbing.

Reference to the fact that there is a white underclass is not an attempt to refute the notion that black lives are undervalued.
Of course if you may feel that an underprivileged black youth is deserving of more consideration than an underprivileged white youth.
We have seen the loss of those semiskilled industrial jobs that were readily available in the 50's
Many of the communities left behind when those jobs went were predominantly white - the white youth youth in those areas are underprivileged every bit as much as underprivileged black youth in the inner cities.
I saw on the television images of white middle class people kneeling and renouncing their "white privilege" - well many of the white youth in the neglected former industrial community would be struggling with the idea of their "white privilege"
It isn't a competition - many of the youth of all ethnicities in our country have poor prospects - lucky if they can get a zero hours contract while the billionaire at the top of the tree watches the money roll in.

Do you really think that I would take that view? I spent a decade and a half working with a charity that addressed deprivation issues in almost exclusively white working class areas, so I know the challenges better than most. But I wonder at the motivation of raising that issue now, rather than a year ago. Why now? The timing makes it look like a reply to the Black Lives Matter movement, and it is that that is disturbing. The way the issue is being used.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 17 Jul 2020, 4:27pm

The issue is a smoke screen to obscure the fact that "privelege" is a class, not race, "war".

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 4:45pm

ANTONISH wrote:.......?.It isn't a competition - many of the youth of all ethnicities in our country have poor prospects - lucky if they can get a zero hours contract while the billionaire at the top of the tree watches the money roll in.

That is the problem IMO,one only need look at the yawning and ever growing gap between rich and poor.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 4:47pm

pwa wrote:......... But I wonder at the motivation of raising that issue now, rather than a year ago. Why now? The timing makes it look like a reply to the Black Lives Matter movement, and it is that that is disturbing. The way the issue is being used.

Quite!
Not to mention it's source :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 17 Jul 2020, 6:10pm

Anyone who really wants to understand the roots of racial prejudice needs to look back to the 50’s and onwards from there to see how migrants have displaced and undercut white working class people in the jobs market. They then need to understand how communities have been torn apart and had their local traditions smashed by the introduction of alien cultures and religions from overseas.

That’s the hard truth of it and, to be frank, black lives do not (or rather should not) matter more than white lives - personally I judge people on their personal merit and not their skin colour. Equality is a wonderful thing but in general it’s a convince for the wealthy (and the misguided middle class) to tell the poor that they must be nice to the people that have been imported or positioned to control wages. Why do I say that it’s the truth, well I was brought up in such economic times and circumstances. Times were not always easy and there was an unskilled labour shortage but labour wages were kept low by importing bodies from overseas and sod the social consequences (of which there were ever so many and they were also very large!).
Last edited by Carlton green on 18 Jul 2020, 11:04am, edited 2 times in total.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 17 Jul 2020, 6:19pm

Wrong there Carlton, black people were brought to do jobs white people did not want, maybe ensuring structural unemployment was involved too

I am or was a White Middle-Class Boy, like nearly all of this parish, one imagines (except the WMCG Girls)
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 17 Jul 2020, 6:26pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Wrong there Carlton, black people were brought to do jobs white people did not want, maybe ensuring structural unemployment was involved too

No, not wrong. It was never OK to import people to do work in poor conditions and for low wages, doing so allowed employers to get away with Victorian conditions and so stopped progress towards universally better wages and conditions for working class people. White working class people did want work but the really rich regarded then as no more than a resource who replenished themselves by having loads of children (workers/wage slaves for the future).

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 17 Jul 2020, 7:23pm

Actually many immigrants were brought in because of a labour shortage - in fact Enoch Powell was responsible for bringing in large numbers.
They were not brought in to do jobs that British people wouldn't do.
Of course that is the canard pedalled by the poor old farming community when they claim not to operate without east european workers.
Of course there was increased pressure on housing ( "no blacks , no Irish, no dogs" - note the Irish also suffered discrimination ) and eventually a recession which added to the pressure.

My impression of BLM is that it points to the wrongs done to some minorities but the virtue signallers have jumped on to it.

Poor white youth is being ignored - no doubt there will be right wing extremists dropping poison in their ears in the hope of gaining recruits.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 17 Jul 2020, 8:09pm

Carlton green wrote:Anyone who really wants to understand the routes of racial prejudice needs to look back to the 50’s and onwards from there to see how migrants have displaced and undercut white working class people in the jobs market. They then need to understand how communities have been torn apart and had their local traditions smashed by the introduction of alien cultures and religions from overseas.

That’s the hard truth of it and, to be frank, black lives do not (or rather should not) matter more than white lives - personally I judge people on their personal merit and not their skin colour. Equality is a wonderful thing but in general it’s a convince for the wealthy (and the misguided middle class) to tell the poor that they must be nice to the people that have been imported or positioned to control wages. Why do I say that it’s the truth, well I was brought up in such economic times and circumstances. Times were not always easy and there was an unskilled labour shortage but labour wages were kept low by importing bodies from overseas and sod the social consequences (of which there were ever so many and they were also very large!).

Classic. "These other poor people are responsible for your poverty. Vote Tory/Brexit/ other group actually responsible for your poverty"