Shopping on the High Street

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Shopping on the High Street

Postby al_yrpal » 22 Jul 2020, 6:24pm

The 'High Street', you know the place our government seems to think is 'the economy'. A place full of clothes shops, footware shops, banks and coffee shops.

With my wardrobe needing a refresh after 3 years caring for my wife without being able to get to clothes shops. I prefer to see what I am buying rather than ordering online. I ventured there today by bus. I was suitably masked and used the hand gel going into and out of all the shops.

Not busy, some shops (John Lewis) made you queue up and one out, one in. Others, M&S, Next you could wander into with impunity. Most customers seemed to be mindful of risks and behaved, older folk better behaved than youngsters.

What was striking was prices, loads of price cuts. Half price very common, 70 to 80% off common too. The shops seem to be a bit desperate. A great time to refresh your wardrobe!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

merseymouth

Re: Shopping on the High Street

Postby merseymouth » 22 Jul 2020, 7:28pm

Hi Al, You mean that you don't buy from Chums? The elasticated waist to aid the fit after "Lock-Down Spread"! :lol: :lol: :lol: TTFN MM

rjb

Postby rjb » 22 Jul 2020, 7:40pm

No charity shops in Cully, or did the Bulgarians get there before you :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 22 Jul 2020, 8:03pm

Really makes sense to buy clothes in person
Lots of people order by www, order several different garments in various sizes, send back lots of stuff, what madness
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 22 Jul 2020, 8:19pm

rjb wrote:No charity shops in Cully, or did the Bulgarians get there before you :lol:

We have a couple of Charity Shops in Cully. Twice recently I have seen queues outside the Swimming Pool Funds shop :lol: And, it wasnt Bulgarians! Pity Alfies (Devons Del Boy) doesnt do clothes, most things in there are 99p. I always take visitors there and they always buy something.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 23 Jul 2020, 9:02am

Hi again, I certainly have issues over getting hands on my idea of a comfortable jacket, 3 button Harris Tweed, always end up with item picked up on Fleabay, not stolen ones though!
The only men's wear I see in shops looks to be made for shop window display, skinny and distorted! Certainly many years ago, when I worked in gent's outfitting the actually did make items to fit the mannequins, very suitable for human stick insects! They really did make them.
I really do miss GA Dunn men's wear. IGICB MM

Navara

Postby Navara » 23 Jul 2020, 11:44am

The High Street hasn't been the High Street as I knew it for years.The last time I went into town it was just sandwich shops,Poundshops,Mobile phone shops and Hairdressers.
I rarely go into a clothes shop nowadays.I know what size and style I want/need and I order online.I generally buy outdoor gear when I'm on holiday if something takes my fancy and bike stuff is 90% online too.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 23 Jul 2020, 12:26pm

Does anybody see any future at all for Marks and Sparks? I've never thought much of their footwear but apart from that there was a time when nearly all my non-cycling togs came from there. If I somehow won a free trolley dash around their menswear department now I'd not bother with it.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 23 Jul 2020, 12:46pm

It says something when the elders that frequent CUK forum have stopped buying from M&S!!! It long ago became the shop for the oldies with even that grundies becoming the sole preserve of b those choosing granny pants! I used to get shirts from there once because b they did extra long versions actually double extra long and slim fit. Stopped that decades ago because they started looking old fashioned like school shirts. Had to switch to George Henry Lee's in Liverpool. Anyone remember them? My gran was such a regular I'm surprised she didn't get invited into the staff canteen at breaks. School holidays were spent in there or m&s occasionally Owens and Owens.

Things have changed but some high streets are still full of shops you might want to visit. Others are full of betting, charity or pawn shops.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Jul 2020, 12:58pm

We buy far too much of everything anyway. It is, quite evidently given the current closures all around, unsustainable. Both commercially and environmentally.
John

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 23 Jul 2020, 3:30pm

Clothes shops need caché, and M&S hasnt got it. Hence their internal branding - Blue Harbour and Autograph in mens stuff. But, it just doesnt cut it for the ladies. Funny how just a label bestowes class on garments, trainers etc, and even bikes! (Pinarilo?), wildly inflating the price out of kilter with actual value. Lots of people fall for it but not me... Casio Waveceptor watch, more accurate than any Rolex, Aldi rather than Waitrose, M&S or John Lewis own tees rather than Ted Baker. All you are paying for with labels is so often marketing and Advertising.

I expect MM will be along in a moment to remind us about 'Utility' brand but he might be too young :lol:

Al

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 23 Jul 2020, 4:22pm

The entire world of traditional retailing has taken a beating and there's probably worse to come. A readiness to change will help some firms to survive and possibly prosper but IMO M&S epitomised what I'll call institutional arrogance and that was personified in the late Sir Richard Greenbury.

I know I'm right because I'm a customer, or more accurately, a former customer.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 23 Jul 2020, 4:43pm

Your wish is my command O Master :roll: , I went to school wearing my father's De-Mob suit, also preferred shirts with detachable collars :shock: .
But when I was younger, i.e. too small for the De-Mob suit my Mam bought most of our clothes from TJ Hughes's, C&A, Blacklers, et al.
She always tried to buy shirts for us lads made in Hong Kong, they came with a spare collar, so when it wore through she'd unpick it, then turn it over. When that wore through on went the spare collar, with yet more reversal stuff!
Always wore shorts until 15, as knees healed quicker that holes in longs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Always hand-me downs, apart from shoes, after my elder brother had worn them they would be cream crackered! Only my sister avoided the "Second Hand Rob" syndrome.
When I started buying my own the Army & Navy Stores got my custom. Went to work in Starched Collar shirts, pin striped tousers, Alpine trilby, briefcase & rolled umbrella, topped off with a U.S. Commando Jacket! :oops: .
Always was a fashion Icon long before the punk look came in. For some reason I never saw anyone copy my style :?: . MM

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 23 Jul 2020, 4:53pm

I thought shirts with a spare collar were made in Wakefield. I can even remember most of the commercial

Double Two is the shirt for you,
Many fine fabrics, Terylene too.

When there is wear you can fit this spare...
Double Two.

Another bit of our industrial base that was perhaps not as nimble as it might have been. I remember industrialist Sir John Harvey-Jones' BBC programme Troubleshooter saying something like "It's your trainset, you play with it how you like" after the owner had dismissed the guru's advice.
=====================================================================

PS I've been on youtube and among loads of Double Two ads I've found that song, with more lyrics than I remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiIdmapdbRk

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 23 Jul 2020, 5:02pm

MM, 'Utility' was the government brand after WWII. In your youth you never experienced it :lol: I slept on a Utility bed with a Utility counterpane as a kid. Some clothes were Utility too, only available with the right coupons... :D

CC41 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_furniture

Al