Shopping on the High Street

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lakelander

Re: Shopping on the High Street

Postby Lakelander » 26 Jul 2020, 1:56am

Oldjohnw wrote:What's a suit?

I don’t own a shirt or trousers let alone a suit.
I have a couple of Polo style shirts but that’s as close to a collar as I get and I rarely wear them.I have no shoes either but I do have a pair of Brogue boots that I’ve worn twice in as many years.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Jul 2020, 9:19am

Buying clothes without being able to try them on is crazy, but whatabout ordering an expensive cycle without trying it? Madness! :wink:
And books, food, one could often be disappointed. Maybe the rules about returning and swapping goods should be changed, restricted
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Navara

Postby Navara » 26 Jul 2020, 11:00am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Buying clothes without being able to try them on is crazy, but whatabout ordering an expensive cycle without trying it? Madness! :wink:

I don't need to try on clothes.I know what size I am!
I have been wearing the same brand/style of trainers since the early 80's.I was a size 8 then and still am now.I recently bought 2 pairs online at £49.99 a pair saving £60 in total.Crazy!!?
I build all my bikes.I know roughly what size frame I need but check the Geometry against my current bike.Then it's just a case of fitting the correct bits.Madness :wink:
Buying online makes total sense if you know what you need!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Jul 2020, 11:21am

Unfortunately, IME there's little consistency in clothing and footwear sizing between makes and even formerly reliable firms like M&S no no longer achieve consistency with their own brands.

Navara

Postby Navara » 26 Jul 2020, 11:29am

thirdcrank wrote:Unfortunately, IME there's little consistency in clothing and footwear sizing between makes and even formerly reliable firms like M&S no no longer achieve consistency with their own brands.

I suppose it depends what you wear.
IME Jeans are jeans are jeans.I tend to stick to the same brand.
A T-shirt is a T-shirt.There tends to be very little difference in sizing.

Cycling clothing can be a whole different matter :shock:
If I tried getting into a size L Castelli for instance I would probably do myself some damage!!My son had a Castelli Team Sky jersey when he was 9.It was an adult size XS!!!!!He was about 4'6" and 4.5stone at the time :shock:

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 26 Jul 2020, 6:09pm

Oh, Navara, how I covet your feet!

Mine are odd, not as in unusual but in size - one is a 12, and the other a 13, so buying anything to fit has always been a problem - and I'd never risk buying anything online. I used to have my rugby boots specially made for me (back when the club was paying) but those days have long gone, so now I but trainers like boats and cut slits in the sides - aerodynamically disastrous, but air-conditioning-wise quite effective.

One advantage of getting (just a little) older is that the muscle tone starts to drop off, joy of joy, because I can now get my thighs into a pair of jeans again for the first time in over 60 years. Trendy, what!

Happy days,

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 27 Jul 2020, 10:51am

If I could I'd buy all my clothes, the few that I buy, on line. I really detest the whole shopping experience, consumerism at it's worst. I know exactly what I want and never get distracted by stores trying to separate me from my money.

A lot's been said about the dangers of the high street dying and how bad this is. Personally I'm not so sure, too many shops selling services and stuff you don't really need. We're all trying to do our bit for the planet and a society less based on consumerism is a good thing.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 27 Jul 2020, 11:08am

I see on our local Facebook page that our Costa Coffee shop is about to reopen. I never go in such places but have noticed that their counters are stacked with sticky buns etc ie junk food. The government should tax that stuff heavily and spend the resultant dosh educating people on healthy eating.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jul 2020, 11:58am

Market traders are being pushed out so a new Shopping Heaven (there is already a SH nearby) can be built in Casnewydd Newport Gwent

The last Shopping Heaven? One earnestly hopes so
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2020, 2:50pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, Last year our daughter got wed, so my suit came out?
Well the photos need more than a touch of air-brush to get the suit fitting right. AAAAAAgh.
So I ordered a new suit, a nice Mod Style whistle, even Brad Wiggins would like it. On-line order, full measurement schedule displayed. As I used to do that task for a living it was an easy to follow job. SWMBO wielded the tape, order sheet completed, off it flew to Malaysia.
Price of Wales Check, nice mid grey, medium weight, 3 button, matching tie, just what I wanted. Price very reasonable, workmanship good, back here in 10 days!!!!! Must remember to get a nice Ben Sherman shirt to match?
Of course the Lambretta to complete the ensemble would have taken food off the table for one hell of a long time, so gave that a miss.
Nice fit, makes me look a lot healthier, when I turn my toes up the charity shop will find a ready customer. Suit on-line? Painless for me! MM

No man! If it's that good make sure it goes with you!!

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Jul 2020, 4:03pm

Lakelander wrote:

I have a couple of Polo style shirts but that’s as close to a collar as I get and I rarely wear them.I have no shoes either but I do have a pair of Brogue boots that I’ve worn twice in as many years.

Intrigued. What do you wear?
John

Lakelander

Postby Lakelander » 27 Jul 2020, 4:35pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Lakelander wrote:

Intrigued. What do you wear?

If it’s warm:-T-Shirt,shorts and trainers.
If is cool:-Hoody,T-Shirt,shorts and trainers.
If it’s cold:-Hoody,T-Shirt,jeans and trainers.
Add coat to above if it’s wet/snowing.
Add Wellies to above if it’s wet/snowing and I’m walking the dog.
I have Walking Boots and Walking Trainers if I’m out in the hills.
I wear the same generally to go out for a pint or a meal.
I’ve only worn a shirt and tie once in the last 36 years and that was for my wedding.

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 27 Jul 2020, 4:42pm

I'd be quite happy to buy the clothes that M&S were selling 40 years ago, reasonable quality for a reasonable price. I hate shopping for clothes, so I hate clothes that wear out. The writing was on the wall for M&S once people started buying cheap rubbish made in far eastern sweatshops just to wear it once then throw it away.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche