Modern bikes noisier?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Modern bikes noisier?

Post by mercalia »

so its not just me about the noisey freewheels? Mine are silent so whats the issue? "look at me"? My Shimano HG50/1s or some thing are silent
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You can buy lots of electric bikes that look like racers with drops. When I get passed by one of these things making a loud noise I always assume its electric?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geocycle wrote:It would be interesting to know which freehubs are quietist.
Campag Chorus, silent.
The lower groups were noisy as hell.

I gave up with my Chorus rear hub due to it breaking two alu cassette carriers. Had they been steel, I'd have been happier.
Now use a Miche, though that's not silent, but nowhere near as a noisy as my Mirage hub on my spare wheels.

It's all to do with the number and depth of the ratchet teeth in the hub and the way the pawls are sprung. More teeth, less deep, and a single ring-spring gives a quieter "click".
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Ah, the curse of perfect hearing. I ride without my hearing aids, for fear of loosing them, and unless I spot them in my mirror the first I know of approaching cyclists is a friendly grunt as they cruise past. If I do see them coming I temporarily up my style and pace in an effort to lessen the humiliation.

Front dérailleur trimming is also a bit hit and miss, quite literally in fact.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My steel bikes are silent. Until I put a modern wheel on them. it's the flat bladed spokes on modern wheels that make a noise on my bikes. i'm also usually on D/T shifters, so no noise from them. Frighten a lot of cats.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

Modern bikes aren't noisier per se. Poorly maintained bikes are noisy. It's quite possible with modern drivetrains to "crosschain", that is to say using the biggest rear cog on the rear cassette whilst remaining on the big ring on the chainset. This coupled with poor or no lubrication can be very noisy. Technology allows for a great deal more opportunity to crosschain.
As the owner of a variety of bikes from steel audax bike to aluminium and carbon fibre framed bikes I would concur that carbon fibre bikes can echo when cables knock against the frame.
I don't find it unduly irritating. Personally, I find a well maintained bike doesn't rattle or make odd ticking noises. Occasionally I hear the clutter in my rack bag jangling, usually steel tyre levers. If ICBA I wrap them in a cloth with elastic bands to secure them.
I'm usually too preoccupied with other road users or the conditions of the bridleways I occasionally travel along to concern myself with bike noises.
Keep your bike in tip top condition and enjoy the ride.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Modern bikes aren't noisier per se.

Mate of mine has a quite expensive carbon bike. He's recently added some carbon wheels. The noise from them to my ears [used to a silent steel bike] is horrendous. Of course he doesn't notice it as it's his only bike.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Does carbon fibre create or magnify noise?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

bigjim wrote:
Modern bikes aren't noisier per se.

Mate of mine has a quite expensive carbon bike. He's recently added some carbon wheels. The noise from them to my ears [used to a silent steel bike] is horrendous. Of course he doesn't notice it as it's his only bike.

I agree, I think some are, put simply.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

francovendee wrote:Does carbon fibre create or magnify noise?
Neither: it may not attenuate vibration as well as a steel or aluminium fabrication (lower damping), and it also converts the vibration into sound more efficiently (high stiffness to mass ratio = good radiation efficiency). If it's creating significant noise then it might have a problem...
"42"
Syd

Post by Syd »

My noisiest bike is my TT one due to its carbon disc rear wheel and deep rimmed front. If I move it to more standard wheels it’s close to being among my quietest.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How do carbon wheels sound?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

With a solid rear carbon disc wheel the sound is very distinctive but difficult to describe.

Its kinda like a slightly oscillating hum with oscillations diminishing the closer you get to maintaining smooth power through the entire pedal rotation.

Deep rim front is similar but less noisy.

Never used shallow rim carbon wheels so can compare with metal options.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have just finished building up a 1980 Colnago Super with 2x7 speed Campagnolo Super Record groupset. I am completely astounded how smooth and silently it rides. 25 years ago I made the transition from a very similar bike to contemporary index gearing working up to 10 speed along the way. I thought it was a step forward in designed-in technical efficiency but now I’m not so sure. It’s just as fast as my other bikes and (here’s an over-used cliche) wanted to go faster still. I always sniggered when someone used that phrase but it seems it is true sometimes! :wink:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

what an interesting thread - there has been a couple of incidents I can recall when I have rode a few miles with someone on a modern super expensive high tech flying machine, and on both occasions I have thought to myself what a noisy bike.

I like the peace and quiet when out on the road.