COVID 19 testing for holiday returnees - a special case?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

COVID 19 testing for holiday returnees - a special case?

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's on the news about people calling for holiday makers returning from countries that now need 14 days quarantine to get tested instead. Apart from this not addressing incubation time, do you think it's fair?

You're going overseas in a time of pandemic when experts are expecting a second spike. The spike happens while you're away so your country says self isolate on returning home. If you didn't factor that into your holiday then that's down to your choice.

Are COVID tests still being rationed? If there's not unlimited tests how can you prioritise holidaymakers over others?

I have no idea whether it's right or wrong. It just feels a bit wrong to me because you don't need to go overseas to have a nice holiday which perhaps in these strange times was not a good choice right now.

Anyway I am waiting to be educated by others views on this. Even have my views changed!!

(I fear it'll happen and I'll end up agreeing with R2 again!!! :lol: )
reohn2

Re: COVID 19 testing for holiday returnees - a special case?

Post by reohn2 »

AFAICS,it's selfish and stupid to go to other countries in the face of the present situation unless absolutely necessary.
Holidays abroad aren't anywhere near necessary end of.
As for flying,crazy :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Agree with both, for once :wink:
Happy to stay home mostly
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote:Are COVID tests still being rationed?

The UK can now perform as many tests as it chooses.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Remembering how the virus got here in the first place, what on earth are people thinking of in going abroad in a pandemic?

The Labour spokesman unbelievably said that two weeks warning should have been given. Long enough to bring many more cases here! Rarely might I agree with something this government does but a guillotine was required and immediate shutdown.

Ironically, I would be more fearful of Brits invading: if I were from Spain the last thing I'd want was tens of thousands of English arriving.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As I read it you’ve to pay £150 for the test, I see no reason we should foot the bill for their pleasure, and as the second test is 5-8 days after the first test then you’ve saved yourself about a week of quarantine if clear.
I can see the mess now with mixed samples and false results. Making people quarantine is the only sure way IMO
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Are COVID tests still being rationed?

The UK can now perform as many tests as it chooses.

Jonathan

So if t decides to test everyone it won't run out or struggle getting the results quick enough? Chooses is the word there. If it decides to test holiday returnees it can but if it decides to carry out trests on everyone going to a doctor or hospital then perhaps they can't. I don't know. You might know though.

Are they testing for this Corona virus when admitted to hospital for treatment like that used to test for infections like MRSA? I'm curious because that dataset would probably be very interesting to those studying COVID infection rates and other things.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The assays cost money, as do all assays. But there aren't barriers such as not enough staff or reagents or analytical equipment.

Current turnaround time from receipt of specimen to issue of reports is less than 24h in over 90% of NHS laboratories. That could be shortened a bit if necessary.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:AFAICS,it's selfish and stupid to go to other countries in the face of the present situation unless absolutely necessary.

I'm mostly agreeing with you. Don't tell anyone!!!

Having said that my parents went away for less than two weeks in their motorhome to Brittany. Came back Saturday. Just as a spike was appearing in Brittany. Since Brits were very noticeable by their absence, they meet a Scottish couple only, it wasn't the Brits fault this time. It was the Parisians driving out from a high infection rate Paris to holiday in their motorhome in Brittany. They went before the spike and came back just as it was being reported so in the 2 week time symptoms appear. Not good but over there the locals are a lot better at dealing with social distancing. Not least because their police were patrolling campsites and Aires regularly. My parents said they caught people out but mostly people carried a mask with them everywhere and used them except it in the open. Hygiene and distancing was better they reported. I actually worry less about the French dealing with it all better than the Spanish, Portuguese and even the British!!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote:The assays cost money, as do all assays. But there aren't barriers such as not enough staff or reagents or analytical equipment.

Current turnaround time from receipt of specimen to issue of reports is less than 24h in over 90% of NHS laboratories. That could be shortened a bit if necessary.

Jonathan

There's a few people in another forum I visit are donating plasma AIUI since they've come through COVID. Their various testing seems to take 2 to 3 days from what they say. Occasionally they get it a bit quicker but rarely 24H.

Not saying it's wrong but it sounds a bit like those rail efficiency notices that show 95%+ when most of the trains you catch are late!!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote:There's a few people in another forum I visit are donating plasma AIUI since they've come through COVID. Their various testing seems to take 2 to 3 days from what they say. Occasionally they get it a bit quicker but rarely 24H.

Perhaps that's for a different assay from the one that would be used to detect infection in passengers at airports.

The Pillar 1 turnaround times for NHS laboratories are regularly published:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/ ... time-data/

Jonathan
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 22.18.59.png
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:AFAICS,it's selfish and stupid to go to other countries in the face of the present situation unless absolutely necessary.

Couldn't agree more! It's selfish to either take the disease with you and spread it or return and do the same thing just to have a holiday abroad. Here the numbers of infections are rising, due to it being a holiday area and visitors in their thousands arriving from across mainland Europe and the UK.
Selfishly I'd rather they weren't here :oops:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

What is this obsessional disorder of having a right to a holiday abroad about even when all best advice says it is bl**dy stupid?
Why is there an assumption that a holiday is a universal g*d given right for all???
My wife had her first holiday as she neared the age of 22, holiday season was work your socks off time, she comes from Nth Wales. All through her childhood she helped mum with the holiday camp chores, then on to college, but holidays then meant PT job to fund her college work.
Only at 21 in her first year teaching could she contemplate being able to find leisure for herself.
I was luckier, holidays came about occassionally, caravan holiday at Abergele or Talacre. Once Mum and us nippers went to Blackpool. Pop had to keep working 7/52, that was exotic!
So today's population look upon the flight to the sun as their entitlement! Even if it kills others. T*rds! MM
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

francovendee wrote:

Couldn't agree more! It's selfish to either take the disease with you and spread it or return and do the same thing just to have a holiday abroad. Here the numbers of infections are rising, due to it being a holiday area and visitors in their thousands arriving from across mainland Europe and the UK.
Selfishly I'd rather they weren't here :oops:

It's not just the travelling "abroad" of course.

West Wales has seen relatively low levels of the virus but now there are huge numbers of visitors.
Many seem ignorant of the two meter distancing advice.

So I wonder if travelling further afield into areas where the virus is aleady present makes that much difference to the overall infection rates?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PDQ Mobile wrote:[

West Wales has seen relatively low levels of the virus but now there are huge numbers of visitors.
Many seem ignorant of the two meter distancing advice.

So I wonder if travelling further afield into areas where the virus is aleady present makes that much difference to the overall infection rates?

My nearest town is indeed a tourist town. Tourists are welcome but the constant and biggest gripe I hear from locals is many of those from over the border, ie England, have little idea and respect of social distancing.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info