COVID 19 testing for holiday returnees - a special case?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: COVID 19 testing for holiday returnees - a special case?

Postby Tangled Metal » 3 Aug 2020, 10:29am

There's a research organisation that's been government funded to research COVID related matters. It's too fund short term research projects up to 18 months and it has a quicker application time. There's so much to be learnt about our relationship with COVID in society. It's a mad scramble in academia to get at the money. Within 2 years there's going to be a lot of answers coming out through published research I reckon.

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 3 Aug 2020, 10:50am

Advice, please. I am currently 'abroad', in that I'm in the UK and have not been able to return to my home in France since March - and, being car-less, Brittany Ferries will not be taking cyclists until the start of September.

I am, like many regular cyclists, completely fit, healthy, and well, and if I did return to the UK later this year from a region the size of three English counties where there have been, so far, only six recorded potential infections for this flu - and no deaths - the only thing that I am likely to be suffering from is a sore backside from all the increased cycling. Testing that might be rather a trial for the port officials (bend over, zurr (port of Plymouth, remember) whilst oi' takes a swab. Blimey: you a 'bin on the rough old red stuff agin?).

A challenge: although over twenty years older than Boris I'll take him on to run five miles, or to cycle a hundred. £25,000 as a stake, winner takes all. Boris? Boris? Where have you gone now.....................?

Happy days,
Image Attachments
Another Government committee meeting.jpg
Another Government committee meeting.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 130 times

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 3 Aug 2020, 11:50am

Morzedec wrote:Advice, please. I am currently 'abroad', in that I'm in the UK and have not been able to return to my home in France since March - and, being car-less, Brittany Ferries will not be taking cyclists until the start of September.

I am, like many regular cyclists, completely fit, healthy, and well, and if I did return to the UK later this year from a region the size of three English counties where there have been, so far, only six recorded potential infections for this flu - and no deaths - the only thing that I am likely to be suffering from is a sore backside from all the increased cycling. Testing that might be rather a trial for the port officials (bend over, zurr (port of Plymouth, remember) whilst oi' takes a swab. Blimey: you a 'bin on the rough old red stuff agin?).

A challenge: although over twenty years older than Boris I'll take him on to run five miles, or to cycle a hundred. £25,000 as a stake, winner takes all. Boris? Boris? Where have you gone now.....................?

Happy days,

Maybe you need to go down to Dover or the south coast and pickup one of those boats the immigrants are using to get here. Should be empty, so you should have the boat all to yur self? :wink:

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 4 Aug 2020, 3:13pm

Merca, nice idea - but it is 568 km from where I'm currently living to Dover, and with no absolute guarantee of finding a boat (empty or not) when I arrive it would make for a troublesome journey.

I'm still quite suntanned from earlier this year, so if they spotted me the Immigration bods might well accuse me of being one of Priti Patel's relatives trying to slip in without a passport - a complete reversal of the Home Office's current cocked-up policies, when so many innocent people have been sent back 'home' when in fact they have lived in the UK legally for over fifty years.

After me, everyone: Priti Out! Priti Out! Priti Out!. Is she Bojo's puppet, or are these facts reversed?

What a complete and utter shambles this country of ours - and its so-called 'leaders' - has become.

Beam me up, Scotty, first chance I get and I'm off elsewhere.

A pair of End to Ender's heading northwards through Okehampton earlier today, going along 'quite nicely' - was that you?

Happy days? Not really, no more.
Image Attachments
The Boss and I go cycling.jpg

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 5 Aug 2020, 9:31am

Morzedec wrote:Merca, nice idea - but it is 568 km from where I'm currently living to Dover, and with no absolute guarantee of finding a boat (empty or not) when I arrive it would make for a troublesome journey.

I'm still quite suntanned from earlier this year, so if they spotted me the Immigration bods might well accuse me of being one of Priti Patel's relatives trying to slip in without a passport - a complete reversal of the Home Office's current cocked-up policies, when so many innocent people have been sent back 'home' when in fact they have lived in the UK legally for over fifty years.

After me, everyone: Priti Out! Priti Out! Priti Out!. Is she Bojo's puppet, or are these facts reversed?

What a complete and utter shambles this country of ours - and its so-called 'leaders' - has become.

A pair of End to Ender's heading northwards through Okehampton earlier today, going along 'quite nicely' - was that you?

Be careful what you say on here about the British govt. You'll get branded as a one who hates his country of birth.

Even dyed in the wool Tories on here must realise the total cock up the govt are creating.

Ooops! Just fallen into my own trap and next there'll be cries that my criticism is me not accepting the Brexit result.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Aug 2020, 2:26pm

francovendee wrote:
Morzedec wrote:Merca, nice idea - but it is 568 km from where I'm currently living to Dover, and with no absolute guarantee of finding a boat (empty or not) when I arrive it would make for a troublesome journey.

Be careful what you say on here about the British govt. You'll get branded as a one who hates his country of birth.

Even dyed in the wool Tories on here must realise the total cock up the govt are creating.

Ooops! Just fallen into my own trap and next there'll be cries that my criticism is me not accepting the Brexit result.

You would be in good company. Apparently Mr Ian (Duncan) Smith has now read the small print on the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement which Johnson negotiated and which Smith voted for and discovered it sells us down the river.
John

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 6 Aug 2020, 12:23pm

Joining the European Financial Union made huge sense, but only if I had been put in charge of it: no ego to support, very limited expenses, only one MEP from each country (chosen by myself and non-cyclists need not apply), constraints on unnecessary expenditure (limited down to a budget rather than up to total income), those on Benefits banned from spending the money on having their hair coloured/being tattooed/buying fags/but encouraged to spend the cash on tennis balls.

What? Hold a tennis ball between your knees, best contraceptive known to (wo)man.

Free inner tubes for all on Fridays, unnecessary ambulance call-outs to drunks charged at £1000 per visit, policemen made to pass an intelligence and common-sense exam, everyone made to eat at least one cabbage with each burger they consume (that will put the Andrex shares up, but crucify global warming), police Commissioners made redundant (most are already), free ferry crossings for all cyclists, free brain transplants for US presidents, third-rate universities turned back into technical colleges, and so on: further suggestions ought to be sent, on a postcard, to Mr 'Where is he hiding today?' Bojo Blonde Bellywobble, if anyone can find his current whereabouts.

Vote for me! I'm leader of the Social Autocrats, soon to change its name to the Party of Beneficial Despots.

Happy days indeed: I'll drink to that. Hic.
Image Attachments
The grand idea..jpg