Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote:I am right now sitting in my car In Kelso, Scotland where my wife has a medical appointment. It's funny seeing all the shops and hotels open. The police have been stopping local folk going to England to shop and redirecting them to Scottish supermarkets.

Yes, I believe they have been stopping people on the Coldstream and Norham bridges and asking the purpose of their journeys. Seems crazy north northumberland has one of the most severe lock downs when just over the border it is as relaxed as it gets. I think Scottish Borders is about 30 per 100,000 and I doubt North Northumberland is any higher.

I have wondered about restrictions on the border as so many people in the far north of northumberland use the border towns as their local main towns, many even use scottish health services.

Anyway - what did you make of the new 20mph speed limits, it is even 20 all the way through Coldstream - just wonderful far more civilised.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pebble wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I am right now sitting in my car In Kelso, Scotland where my wife has a medical appointment. It's funny seeing all the shops and hotels open. The police have been stopping local folk going to England to shop and redirecting them to Scottish supermarkets.

Yes, I believe they have been stopping people on the Coldstream and Norham bridges and asking the purpose of their journeys. Seems crazy north northumberland has one of the most severe lock downs when just over the border it is as relaxed as it gets. I think Scottish Borders is about 30 per 100,000 and I doubt North Northumberland is any higher.

I have wondered about restrictions on the border as so many people in the far north of northumberland use the border towns as their local main towns, many even use scottish health services.

Anyway - what did you make of the new 20mph speed limits, it is even 20 all the way through Coldstream - just wonderful far more civilised.

My own immediately area is 21 in 100,000: possibly the lowest in the country. But the most severe lockdown.

I.was pleased with the new speed limits but you certainly have to stay very alert.

Folk from Duns, Churnside, Ayton and Eyemouth generally shop in Berwick. They have been told to go to Kelso.
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’m in a tier 4 area at present. To begin with, hardly anyone seemed to be taking it seriously, judging by the levels of traffic I’ve been encountering, not much notice was being taken by anyone. However, it seems that simply having nowhere to go, has finally had the effect of getting more people to toe the line. It could be as much to do with the time of year though. The next couple of weeks should show what’s actually happening.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Is the answer yes - another 14 million or so as of a day or two ago.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’m in a tier 4 area at present. To begin with, hardly anyone seemed to be taking it seriously, judging by the levels of traffic I’ve been encountering, not much notice was being taken by anyone. ....

My neighbour (mid-30's with family) actually stayed at home Christmas Day but once Tier 4 started he and family off to relatives each of the following days! They've all been out all day every day since Christmas Day.

And I feel somewhat the exception spending Christmas Day alone (as my attending would have broken the special Christmas Day regulations by one household), then Tier 4 ...

I was shocked that despite the desperation from NHS hospitals and soaring infection and death rates, Tier 4 remains in Tier 4 under same "restrictions". I'd really expected some toughening of restrictions to try and get the infections, ICU demand and deaths down a bit.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’m in a tier 4 area at present. To begin with, hardly anyone seemed to be taking it seriously, judging by the levels of traffic I’ve been encountering, not much notice was being taken by anyone. ....

My neighbour (mid-30's with family) actually stayed at home Christmas Day but once Tier 4 started he and family off to relatives each of the following days! They've all been out all day every day since Christmas Day.

And I feel somewhat the exception spending Christmas Day alone (as my attending would have broken the special Christmas Day regulations by one household), then Tier 4 ...

I was shocked that despite the desperation from NHS hospitals and soaring infection and death rates, Tier 4 remains in Tier 4 under same "restrictions". I'd really expected some toughening of restrictions to try and get the infections, ICU demand and deaths down a bit.

Ian

I was listening to Today this morning, and whilst the 'old' strain was in steep decline, this new one is still rampant despite the measures - and the Christmas easing 'bulge' hasn't hit the hospitals yet. I fear it'll get (a lot?) worse before it get better.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I was listening to Today this morning, and whilst the 'old' strain was in steep decline, this new one is still rampant despite the measures - and the Christmas easing 'bulge' hasn't hit the hospitals yet. I fear it'll get (a lot?) worse before it get better.

Early after the new strain was made public, one qualified individual on TV was saying the increased infectiousness of the new strain would add about 0.4 to the R value. I've not seen anything more recently so that value might have been refined a bit now. And that is a significant increase needing action to be addressed.

Ian
Syd

Post by Syd »

Its very clear what this doctor thinks of the rule breakers.

Covid rule-breakers 'have blood on their hands' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55479018
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:My neighbour (mid-30's with family) actually stayed at home Christmas Day but once Tier 4 started he and family off to relatives each of the following days! They've all been out all day every day since Christmas Day.

Ian

Early after the new strain was made public, one qualified individual on TV was saying the increased infectiousness of the new strain would add about 0.4 to the R value. I've not seen anything more recently so that value might have been refined a bit now. And that is a significant increase needing action to be addressed.

Ian

Yes, that number was quoted today, too, so it suggests it's pretty accurate. I don't know what the overall R is at the moment as I haven't seen it quoted for some time.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Am hearing that hospitals in London and East Kent are having to transfer patients significantly out of area to find them available ICU beds.

Level 5 coming?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Tier 2 to Tier 4 .....nothing much has changed. B&Q still open, Screwfix still open, click and collect still available, all supermarkets still open. Golf course still open, coffee shops still serving outdoors.

The shopping centre is still open as M&S have a food hall in there plus there's a Boots.

I haven't done restaurants or pubs so can't comment. We are a holiday area so I guess the cops will be enjoying a quiet new year for once, fair play and well deserved.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I was listening to Today this morning, and whilst the 'old' strain was in steep decline, this new one is still rampant despite the measures - and the Christmas easing 'bulge' hasn't hit the hospitals yet. I fear it'll get (a lot?) worse before it get better.

Ian

Yes, that number was quoted today, too, so it suggests it's pretty accurate. I don't know what the overall R is at the moment as I haven't seen it quoted for some time.

Yesterday on Radio 4 they said subsequent research puts new variant at an R-value INCREASE between 0.4 and 0.7 (so likely somewhat higher than originally thought).

Ian
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

We have had our first day of the January full lockdown in Scotland - and it has been nothing whatsoever like the original lockdown. Last March there was a sudden change and the streets and roads went eerily quiet. Today just seems like any other day recently, no less traffic, not even the slightest hint that we have now entered a strick lockdown.

I believe Englands new full lockdown starts on Wed ? Does anyone seem to be taking any notice ?
Syd

Post by Syd »

One major change for me is that I now MUST work from home. If I need to attend on site I MUST gain consent to do so by submitting a request stating why to my head of department.

Justification becomes even harder if I have to cross council boundaries.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pebble wrote:We have had our first day of the January full lockdown in Scotland - and it has been nothing whatsoever like the original lockdown. Last March there was a sudden change and the streets and roads went eerily quiet. Today just seems like any other day recently, no less traffic, not even the slightest hint that we have now entered a strick lockdown.

I believe Englands new full lockdown starts on Wed ? Does anyone seem to be taking any notice ?

I think we have to remember in the first lockdown a lot of people were prohibited from working. It seemed daft at the time and I can see the only benefit of it was to give time for workplaces to adapt Covid safe ways of working.
For example in my village first time around I know 5 people who stopped travelling to work. One of them can and does work from home full time and I suspect for ever more. One of them his job has changed and instead of travelling 5 days a week now does 3 days every fortnight and others from home. The other 3, a builder, a sawmill worker, a on site breakdown engineer are now back to travelling out exactly as before.
From my example you could expect a 20% reduction in traffic but we will notice it?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info