Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I was on Branscombe beach briefly yesterday after a cliff walk. People were well spaced out and observing the distancing rules.

Does anyone living in the lock down areas know whats going wrong? Is the government's reaction going to help?

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 1 Aug 2020, 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Re: Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Post by reohn2 »

We like Branscombe beach and thinking about it it's so long and also relatively off the beaten track it's never packed so social distancing isn't a problem,it also helps that it's a pebble beach and deep so not good for paddling.

We live in GM area with the new restrictions,it's hard to tell what's caused it but it's a densely populated area and as result not without it's fair share of idiots.I don't know if the new restrictions will help but there'll be elements that'll keep what little police there are busy.
TBH BoJo couldn't have chosen a better time to alienate the Muslim population in the area with Eid celebrations about to take place Friday midnight,it makes one wonder if he'd planned it that way.One Muslim leader in the area said it was like cancelling Christmas on Chistmas Eve,you have to see his POV.
That said he'd be damned if he did or didn't impose the restrictions when he did but they've seen it coming for over a week.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Come, come. This isn't a new lockdown but rather a slowing of easing of the lockdown in some areas.
rjb

Post by rjb »

We visit Branscombe quite frequently. We usually take the bus from Seaton, this makes for an interesting journey especially during the summer with holidaymakers clogging up the rural lanes. :lol: walk over the cliff to Beer, then bus back to Seaton. When we were younger we would walk from Branscombe village hall to Seaton with our children and back again. Can't manage that now. :(
We usually leave our car at Axbridge and bus it to and from Seaton via Colyton. Make the most of our bus passes whilst the buses are still going and it's a nice interesting ride. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I did a ride to Bournemouth and back on Thursday. No one was taking any notice whatsoever of social distancing, and there were thousands of people on the beach and surrounding areas, all plonking themselves right next to each other. I despair. It wasn’t so bad on the Milford and Barton on sea beaches though. This is what’s gone wrong. The government had no choice but to allow people to start moving around and visiting places again, it wouldn’t have been remotely enforceable if it had been otherwise. However it was a case of ‘Hobson’s choice’. They had to leave it up to people’s common sense / judgement as to whether or not they considered an area to be ‘too crowded’. That was a mistake, as judging from what I witnessed, their judgement was way off.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Used to live in GM and can understand the reversal on some aspects of lockdown.

Mrs Syd was due to travel down next Friday to visit friends. That is now on hold.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I live just over a mile from the boundary with Kirklees, one of the areas covered by the revised arrangements. Kirklees is a good sixty miles - as the dog sniffs - from the nearest beach, so I don't think that's triggered any version of a second wave there. A lot of the population lives in cramped conditions and I fancy that's what's caused it ie not something that will change merely as a result of exhortation.

FWIW, a few weeks ago, there was a local flare-up in a meat processing plant in Cleckheaton, which is in Calderdale, which borders Kirklees and is now subject to the same scheme. When the health secretary was referring to this plant, he said it was in Keighley, which is some distance away at the other end of Bradford. It's all up somewhere North.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote:I was on Branscombe beach briefly yesterday after a cliff walk. People were well spaced out and observing the distancing rules.

Does anyone living in the lock down areas know whats going wrong? Is the government's reaction going to help?

Al

It all went wrong when Cummings kept his job after going to Barnard Castle.
You’re right the government looks like it is reacting instead of planning.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Pubs are gonna have to close again?
Boozer Mick F will be filling up his empty 4 pint milk bottles again!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I was on Branscombe beach briefly yesterday after a cliff walk. People were well spaced out and observing the distancing rules.

Al

To an extent they have to react, at least they aren’t delaying their reactions by weeks/mo the like they have so far.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:This isn't a new lockdown but rather a slowing of easing of the lockdown in some areas.

Aren't the restrictions on assembly a tightening rather than a slowing of easing?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/north-west-of-england-local-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The "Come, come" you have omitted was meant to indicate the whimsical nature of my post.

The original response to the announcement across the media was along the lines of the North under new lockdown. The spinners must have got spinning, because that was quickly softened to talk about the lifting of lockdown being delayed in some areas.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Some of the increases in infections will be in the Asian community where there is a greater trend for there to be multigenerational families living in one house (much like previous generations of British born occupants of the same homes only a few decades ago). However there was an item on the news (possibly the news on ITV but it might have been the BBC news) saying that the new restrictions - no more having 2 households meeting in homes or private gardens - were as a result of trends spotted in the track & trace data. That showed that a high proportion of potential/actual infections were households meeting up & not following physical distancing rules including, noticeably, in better off areas.

We're probably the least at risk, living right on the edge of the affected area - maybe 10-15 minutes walk, much less by bike, from the boundary - but it would be too easy to say the rules shouldn't apply. I'm sure many could find a reason why it didn't apply to them but, for now, we've changed our plans to fit the new rules. I hope enough people take heed & the infection rates start to come down again.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote:

Al

Boris Johnson’s handling of his top aide breaking lockdown had “negative and lasting consequences” for the public’s trust in the government during the coronavirus pandemic, researchers have established.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 58411.html
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Eacxh day I find people who are simply not keeping theier distance/breaching the rules etc, from people in supermarkets not using the spacing markers and refusing to distance when asked, to people on the pavement.

Case(s) in point - visited Stratford a few days ago (on Avon). Local coubcil has effectivley widened footpaths by imposing traffic restrictions, using barriers and adding tarmac to widen the pavements and putting markers down. Even so
    A queue of people outside an in-cream shop were all bunched up together, even those that were clearly from different groups
    While my wife went into a shop I waited outside on a very wide stretch of widened footpath, standing against a building - groups of people walked past 3 or 4 abreast almost brushing shoulders with me as they went
    People in a hurry or messing with mobiles instead of "staying alert" simply ignoring people walking in the opposite direction

Whatever various reports say about distance/outdoors blah blah blah this creeping complacency does seem to coincide with a rise in infection rates
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !