Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Post by mercalia »

Is this the shape of things to come? armed police fine gym owner for not closing down his gym

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8841079/Armed-police-serve-Liverpool-gym-owner-fine-REFUSES-bow-Covid-closedown-order.html

and here is the ( eventually) BBCs report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54553363

no mention of them being armed. significant?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Liverpool? Far too many ignorant, self-centred dipsticks! I'll carry my "Social Distancing Measure" tool, stout walking stick, encroach at their peril!!!
Now we just need the Welsh First Minister to stop Mayor Joe front bolting over to Talacre? IGICB MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

From a BBC map its the North Londoners who are the problem, not South London - The northerners shouldnt be allowed to come to the pubs in the south as thats what might happen, have check-point borders set up on the bridges crossing the Thames. And maybe a Trump Wall built in the West.

pwa

Post by pwa »

My own area has a medium sort of infection rate, 54 or something like that, but along with most South Wales counties we are restricted in what we can do. We can only leave our county for certain "essential" reasons like work or education, not for leisure or most shopping. So I cannot legally jump in the car and drive to Tenby. But until the new restrictions imposed by the Welsh Government come into effect it is legally possible for someone from a place with a much higher infection rate to pass through our county on the M4 then visit Tenby, because the Westminster Government will not impose the same legally binding restrictions on English "lockdown" areas as the Welsh Government puts on us. I know some in the media see this as an anti-English thing, but it is nothing of the sort. It is the Welsh Government doing the only thing it can to restrict the movement, in Wales, of people from other UK high covid areas as it already does with people from Welsh high covid areas. If that did not happen we would end up with people from a locked down area like ours saying "Hang on! If people from an English area under lockdown can go to Tenby for the weekend, I'm going too!"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:Is this the shape of things to come? armed police fine gym owner for not closing down his gym

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8841079/Armed-police-serve-Liverpool-gym-owner-fine-REFUSES-bow-Covid-closedown-order.html

and here is the ( eventually) BBCs report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54553363

no mention of them being armed. significant?

No sign of any firearms in the pictures of the officers. The Daily Mail couldn't even get the location right in their headline - it's not in Liverpool. Looking at the picture of the owner with his shirt off he's lucky they didn't search the place for illegal steroids.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

One should always be sceptical about extreme reporting and believing the first thing you hear. More especially if it is in the DM.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I come from a large and the most sparsely populated county in England. In the south east towns there are high numbers. Over 60 miles away, in the far north, where I am, there are hardly any cases. But we all get lumped together to join tier 2.
John
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I suspect you are from North Umberland,possibly Morpeth or Wathberry.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:One should always be sceptical about extreme reporting and believing the first thing you hear. More especially if it is in the DM.

to be fair to the DM it was what the beef steak said? 'It's disappointing. They sent out seven or eight firearms officers, what a waste of resources.' though the url does mention it as part of its wording.

I would like to see armed officers in my local lidl wipe the casual smug smiles off some of those not wearing face coverings, in fact drag them out by their hair as they protest its not the law ( as a cretin-guy did last week end)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was reading what is happening in France. Imagine if they tried that here. Why not here?

New restrictions were announced on Wednesday by President Emmanuel Macron to combat the soaring infection rate across France.

Residents of Paris, its suburbs and eight other cities including Marseille and Lyon will not be able to leave their homes without "valid" reason between 21:00 and 06:00 from Saturday for at least four weeks. Mr Macron said he aimed to reduce the daily rise in cases to 3,000.

Prime Minister Jean Castex said police would be deployed to enforce the curfew, but people will still be allowed to leave for work or to visit hospital or the pharmacy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54557549

There is some sense here in the French approach? surly closing pubs at 10pm is not good enough, there also needs to be curfew and any (drinkers) found out side arrested if they smell of booze, and off licences closed also at 10pm. Johnsons soln is half baked.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mumbojumbo wrote:I suspect you are from North Umberland,possibly Morpeth or Wathberry.

I live near Berwick, less than a mile from the border.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What went wrong was the restrictions were eased. Pubs and restaurants shouldn't have opened. A bunch of relaxed, drunks social distancing in town centres?? That's a big joke for a start.

Now they're looking at putting the whole of Lancashire into category 3 restrictions as if it's all like East Lancashire towns and cities with large multi generational households. We live in a semi rural town of about 5300 people. There's an plenty of space for social distancing. It's got a lot lower infection rate too. One interactive map shows us at 50-100 cases per 100,000. East Lancashire has 400+ per 100,000. At least 4x greater rate. I'm sorry but where's the logic in that? Shouldn't it be on infection rate? There's a hot spot around Lancaster university but it's really with of Fylde I think. Preston through to East Lancashire.

I'd like them to put the whole of London into level 3 because one borough has high rate of infection. It seems to me that Westminster, government and sage are a bunch of southerners who don't really know what's North of Watford gap. It's time they devolved COVID decisions to the mayors and council leaders in the North. Treat us as another nation while this pandemic is going on.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I'm not too far from that gym and I was told it was 4 police officers and none of them carrying weapons (except tazers).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

And he told the officers to fine him because he wasn't going to tell anyone to leave. That's a good scouser!!

Aiui other nations give an exemption to lockdowns to gyms because of the obvious health benefits of exercise.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Good Morning, A small point, but pertinent! That stupid Gym owner has his business in Moreton, in the Wirral, not Liverpool.
Rather like a Cockney only being someone born within the sound of Bow Bells, so a Scouser can only be someone born in Liverpool, not Bootle, Wirral or anywhere outside the city boundary!
It must annoy Chris Boardman to keep being called a Merseysider? He was born and lives in Hoylake, which is most definitely on the River Dee.
To most Scousers the Wirral is rather like that blank space that used to be shown on maps of Africa. There was even a stage show called "Brick up the Tunnel", all top coat and no draws over there! MM