Titanium and carbon fibre...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Titanium and carbon fibre...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Are both remarkably low density and high strength/weight. Especially when the CF is formed around a foam core.
Taking bits of the chair apart to measure out and mark up the relevant curves - the Ti parts really do weigh nothing...

Just finished rebuilding my wheelchair seat pan, adding side guards to stop myself wrecking trousers.

Seat pan I’ve had for a while, 6mm foam core CF sandwich, I’ve added a couple of angle extrusions and shaped “wings” out of double A side 1mm sheet. The side guards’ top edges fairly closely match the wheel, and their bottom edges allows the back to fold down and keep the guards located inside part of the hinge plate.
All now epoxied together with a structural CF epoxy, and the edges are taped with black leccy tape.
Just over 900g for the whole assembly.

Rather satisfying- just two pairs of bearings to replace, then I can plan something new entirely :roll: ♿️
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mumbojumbo

Re: Titanium and carbon fibre...

Post by mumbojumbo »

Remarkable,and possibly worth a patent.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Titanium and carbon fibre...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Clearly not worthy of a patent (that would need to be an existing invention on which I add “Ona mobile device”). But it does work nicely.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.