WW3: The West v China?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

WW3: The West v China?

Post by mercalia »

AN article from the Spectator makes worrying reading at the ever expansion of China?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/sea-change-china-has-its-sights-on-the-bay-of-bengal?

I just hope it isnt in my life time.
Carlton green

Re: WW3: The West v China?

Post by Carlton green »

mercalia wrote:AN article from the Spectator makes worrying reading at the ever expansion of China?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/sea-change-china-has-its-sights-on-the-bay-of-bengal?

I just hope it isnt in my life time.

Yes, it does make for interesting reading and to my way of thinking it’s very plausible too. Personally I think that the West has been completely bonkers in its dealing with China and it should long since have reduced trade with it to a minimum. At the moment the Western World lacks both leadership and long terms plans whereas - admirably IMHO - China does have leadership and does have a plan (that’s not to say that I like their direction of travel), that plan is detailed and looks many years, decades even, ahead. How different is that to the stupidity that we see here in the West where we squabble between ourselves and barely think beyond the next big deal? As an important aside it does not take a Rocket Scientist’s intellect too to question whether many of the squabbles that divide us are not in some way seeded and supported by external states. War? China would crush us like a sledgehammer crushes a walnut. We need to be a lot more like them and their famous General who’s wisdom stands sound throughout the centuries.

As an aside this article about made in Britain makes an interesting read: https://makeitbritish.co.uk/opinion/made-in-the-uk/
The final part of the article says it all: “You can drill down into almost any aspect of British business history and discover that same story of political incompetence linked to corporate board-room short-term greed and mismanagement.”
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

China has been the victim of aggression and imperialism.In the second world war they were attacked by Japan.The British forced the sale of narcotics and the imports were to result in widespread opium addiction.The Spectator was once edited by today's PM who typifies a colonial perspective with his casual racism.Like Russie China has huge external borders and feels vulnerable.Like Russia they delight in destabilising the West,following pattern set by patriots like Farage ,Trump et al.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mumbojumbo wrote:China has been the victim of aggression and imperialism.In the second world war they were attacked by Japan.The British forced the sale of narcotics and the imports were to result in widespread opium addiction.The Spectator was once edited by today's PM who typifies a colonial perspective with his casual racism.Like Russie China has huge external borders and feels vulnerable.Like Russia they delight in destabilising the West,following pattern set by patriots like Farage ,Trump et al.

That’s an interesting take on things but where the complete truth lies in all of this is unclear to me, and likewise how much and which historical context really matters now. China, vulnerable, pull the other one. China has massive military forces and is expansionist in both claiming territory and in trade, have no sympathy for them but instead have both respect and concern. Destabilising has happened and both Trump and Farage are part of it but look beyond them and it’s not to hard to see the hands of other States assisting the victories that those two have enjoyed.

Boris and the Spectator, well they’re both Conservative voices so treat what they say with caution but also be aware that they might speak the truth too, well for some of the time - so what they say is not automatically incorrect. As such I think the article valid and it long past time that ‘The West’ ‘woke-up’ to how the World is changing and how they have allowed themselves to become ridiculous dependant on the manufacturing capabilities of China. Incidentally that’s a trading arrangement that has destroyed the livelihoods of many people in the West and unbalances our economies. IME today’s China is certainly quietly predatory and somehow that fact is either unseen or ignored.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton Green
I agree with you 100%.
China won't be satisfied until it rules the world and the west is rolling over and asking it to happen.
To sum up your last sentence,it is unseen or ignored is because in the present western capitalist system the only thing that matters is profit and nothing else,it's a very short term outlook and it's incompetence and stupidity plays into the hands of China's world domination strategy.
As you say China's has been a long term strategy and unless the west does something soon we'll be down the proverbial creek without a paddle and a hole in the hull without the wherewithall to mend a sinking boat,whilst the authors of the downfall will be living off the profits in some offshore island complex :evil:
We're are own worst enemy for allowing it to get get this far and continually falling for the Conservative/New Labour BS of the past 40 years of mismanagement of the country.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One thing to remember Japan allied itself with Germany due to economic restraints put on its expansion?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Didn't Japan need territory to grow hence occupying other countries???

China doesn't just have strong leadership, it had strong dictatorship. It had been moving in a more acceptable to the west direction but the current leader mind of changed that. Sounds like Putin and Russia to me!! Strong male leader takes control of more of the power unto himself and wraps himself up in an appropriate form of nationalism to his citizens. Russia promoted Russian orthodox church ties. China I'm not as clear on but their leader has been very clever over the years IMHO.

Overall I believe two countries will become major powers indeed the biggest powers eventually. China and India. Longer for India but it's on a Trajectory I reckon that one far all supplant even USA as second superpower. Not sure how that plays with Pakistan though. Possibly a more worrying situation than China!!!

BTW anyone note the China Vs India border dispute recently? Also AIUI India is working on a homegrown fighter jet the match of Western versions. A few mistakes not least with the missile system I heard but they'll get the hardware right and local made too one day.