Cats: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you like/love cats?

Yes
45%
No
23%
Not sure
No votes
Not in my back yard
14%
Prefer dogs
9%
Cats, dogs, horses, the more the better
9%

Total votes: 22

Cyril Haearn

Cats: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

8.8, today is World Cat Day

Does it apply for tigers, lions and the like? Or is it more a marketing event?

Apparently cats are fascinating, puzzling, that is why there are so many on the interweb

Why do you like or dislike cats?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 1 May 2021, 7:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Re: Cats: Why? Why not?

Post by mercalia »

I like cats except when I remember they kill things for no good reason. I have a catapault and mud pellets to send the local cats on their way and give them a bit of exercise. They know me by now and sling their hook when they see me. I havent seen them now for some time. good. There used to be a big white cat too stupid to realise withs its stand out fur colour it had no chance of catching anything. I used to have fun with my laser pointer getting it to chase its tail & run all around the garden.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Surely a white cat will excel in snow which is one reason why such cats proliferate in Arctic,and are rare in jungles,as tigers and lions run show.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I like cats. I don't like cat owners allowing them to kill small birds.

Our cats only go out supervised, and I think that all owners shoudl either keep their cats in, or supervise them. I don't have a problem with using them for rodent control, like farm cats. They can, to some extent be trained for that. They can also be fitted with collars that birds can see better than the cats, themselves.

https://www.stlawu.edu/news/biology-pro ... d-atlantic
The collars prevent cats from hunting birds and lizards, but not rodents.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
We don't have a cat (does anyone own a cat?) but we did have cat mess and dead birds in our garden. A spray of water (RSPCA-sanctioned) combined with some citrus repellent sorted both problems. We now have squirrels and pigeons that dig up the lawn!
I'm indifferent to cats and ignore them. If I go to a house with a cat then they always sit on me, which my wife finds hilarious, and the active cat lovers are crestfallen, which I find hilarious :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mumbojumbo wrote:Surely a white cat will excel in snow which is one reason why such cats proliferate in Arctic,and are rare in jungles,as tigers and lions run show.

snow in London - maybe catch a bird then once every 20 years :lol:
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

tim-b wrote:Hi

(does anyone own a cat?)

If I go to a house with a cat then they always sit on me, which my wife finds hilarious, and the active cat lovers are crestfallen, which I find hilarious :)
Regards
tim-b

No, cats have staff.

It's because of the way you look at them - with narrowed eyes. To a cat that means you are relaxed and friendly; a sign of affection. If you stare at them wide eyed that, to the cat, is a sign of aggression and they will avoid you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have three at the moment.
Percy, Sadie, and Nellie.
Percy and Nellie were strays and set up home with us, but Sadie was in need as a re-homer so we took her on.
All neutered.

We have three (or is it four?) cats buried in the back garden, and a couple buried in the back garden of the house before this one.

Do I like cats?
Not much I must say, but Mrs Mick F likes them ............ so we have them. :wink:

We've had cats and dogs all our married life of 47years this autumn. All the dogs and all the cats have got on very well indeed.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout Sailor? Did the cats accept him when he joined the family? Anything changed now he is much bigger than they?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:I like cats. I don't like cat owners allowing them to kill small birds.

Our cats only go out supervised, and I think that all owners shoudl either keep their cats in, or supervise them. I don't have a problem with using them for rodent control, like farm cats. They can, to some extent be trained for that. They can also be fitted with collars that birds can see better than the cats, themselves.

https://www.stlawu.edu/news/biology-pro ... d-atlantic
The collars prevent cats from hunting birds and lizards, but not rodents.

We have a cat. It kills (and eats) rodents, sometimes rats but more usually mice and voles. The guts are left uneaten on the terrace, though sometimes whole rats are left for us as a gift. It doesn't seem to get birds which l guess is just because they're more difficult prey to catch.

Both this and our previous cat were fitted with collars on multiple occasions and both managed to divest themselves of them easily and regularly until we gave up. Most collars were never found but we found one once hanging from a sturdy twig which showed how he must have hooked the collar onto the twig and backed out of it.

I don't really see why a collar which allows a cat to kill field mice but not wood pigeons is a 'good thing', and if we're so concerned about bird deaths l trust we will all stop driving cars tomorrow. I've just come back from a ride, as usual there must've been a bird carcass at least once a mile.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Whatabout Sailor? Did the cats accept him when he joined the family? Anything changed now he is much bigger than they?
All happy.
Percy and Sailor eat and sleep together.
The other two can take it or leave it.

Not seen Nellie for the last 24hrs or more, but she's a law unto herself.
Eats rabbits and wildlife (but doesn't bother with birds) when she can catch stuff. She's a hunter.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

They can feed themselves, no need to spend money on kitkat chocolate bars :wink:
Or is it kitekat?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I like cats. They are massive psychopaths, and entertaining as well.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Cats? No thanks! My late paternal granny had two most times, one of which was a right bird butcher-er!
Granny would go to the fishmongers, get some nice choice salmon and also a bag of fish scraps. The cats got the salmon, poor gramdpa got fed the scraps??????????????????????
Is it any wonder I have no time for the furry vermin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . IGICB MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

^^
Cats, love or hate?
Anything between love and hate, anyone indifferent?