Back To School Essentials

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Back To School Essentials

Post by thirdcrank »

Tangled Metal wrote: ... I guess my humour is my own and not shared! :o

I think most people understand irony, even if the refer to it as something else. There is, however, a difference between on oral conversation and an exchange on social media where shades of meaning may not be apparent. The little yellow faces may help, but as somebody who used them too much, when I recently read that they could be turned off, I did so.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Tangled Metal wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:The meaning of "go postal" is the second thing I've learnt today.

PS I thought you were being ironic till you clarified.

I'm British. I've a sense of humour that's unique but above that I'm kind of traditional British. Of course I don't believe that, it was just my humour when someone seemed to take that first comment as being serious. Couldn't help but carry it on a bit too far. Hoped it was a comment too far to actually be believed.

I guess my humour is my own and not shared! :o

As I have American friends who do believe this is the way to go, you will have to forgive me for mistaking you for a Trump supporter.

My ex neighbour who is back in the Good OLD US of A now believes that is how you solve the Crisis in schools, he has no children and is an ardent Trump supporter. One day we were waiting for his wife to come off-shift on the base.
he says "You see that clearing over there, sat here at 6:00a.m. and this stag with the full antlers just stood there with the sun behind it, One of the most beautiful things I ever did see . Wish I had my Gun "
I replied "Don't you mean camera "
" No my Gun"
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

For the last couple of years I've volunteered to help with reading in a local primary school. "My" class had a project about family, which involved everyone bringing in a pic of themselves as a baby for everyone else to guess who's who. My pic from 1945 was a bit obvious. Then, they had to interview somebody old in their family. The teacher suggested I might have pictures to share so I scanned things like a pic of my great-grandparents, born in 1865 and 1870 for display on the electronic whiteboard.

A pic of a hundred uniformed students at a district police training centre in 1967 caused great interest. When it came to questions "How many people did you shoot?" was a favourite. I tried to make the point that the police here and in NZ are the only routinely unarmed police services in the World. Apart from some improved readers, if they remember anything from me I hope that's it. And I hope it remains the case, unless some other country follows the example.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Three day course? :shock:

We did a couple of weeks, and then refreshers every year - or was it six monthly? - to be allowed to have and hold an armed weapon.
Further to this ........

I did a six month course to do with the use and maintenance of the main armament of a frigate!
4.5" high explosive shells fired to a max of twelve miles, and a guided anti-aircraft missile system too. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you're American you can fire military grade weaponry at special gatherings in the desert I believe. Anti aircraft batteries owned by civilian gun collectors. They get their kicks day and night courtesy of the tracer rounds.

I can totally believe Nuke's friend preferring the gun to a camera from dealing with people in a Texan company. Big Merv knew how to deal with skunks making a home under the office trailer. A sudden firing of a pump action shotgun under it until nothing but mess remained. Or the three or so times a year they sort out the encroaching nature where their factory is. Basically the workforce and families get together for a BBQ , big trailer BBQs with smokers btw, then after drinks and food everyone goes for the guns. They all walk out from the factory across the wasteland in a land shooting anything that moves!

Then one of our guys spent time out there helping them with a production line installation. He went shooting with a few guys. A boat, swamp, plenty of guns and a huge cooler of beer. The guy was genuinely scared with the drunk guys and their guns.

Then the guy I dealt with who had no concept of gun control. The idea that if I shot a few cans in my backyard I'd probably get an armed response. It totally confused him.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tangled Metal wrote:
NUKe wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Give teachers guns!! The more guns around the safer US schools will be.

Are you quoting Trump or do you seriously believe more guns the safer the school?

Would you go postal in a school if every adult armed to the teeth? Much better than UK school security guards with handheld metal detectors!! We need a second amendment!!!

That’s not the way to stop shootings...
The UK, and Australia (which had much more USian approach until recently, are both decent examples of how to limit shootings.

The problem is the USuans can’t cope with the concept that an “amendment” could be changed, despite being a change already...

The concept of a well armed militia is no longer relevant, the biggest threat to liberty nowadays is no longer a rogue government.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
NUKe wrote:Are you quoting Trump or do you seriously believe more guns the safer the school?

Would you go postal in a school if every adult armed to the teeth? Much better than UK school security guards with handheld metal detectors!! We need a second amendment!!!

That’s not the way to stop shootings...
The UK, and Australia (which had much more USian approach until recently, are both decent examples of how to limit shootings.

The problem is the USuans can’t cope with the concept that an “amendment” could be changed, despite being a change already...

The concept of a well armed militia is no longer relevant, the biggest threat to liberty nowadays is no longer a rogue government.

The only answer to that is "Trump". If he gets a 2nd term who knows what he will try and do.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Despite the active incompetence currently on show at the heads of multiple English (or close enough) speaking nations they are still not a threat which requires an active militia to halt them in their tracks.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.