PROMS-BBC disappoint

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby mumbojumbo » 25 Aug 2020, 1:35pm

The BBC had the chance to refresh the format of the Proms.They could have scrapped Land of Hope and Rule B and replaced them with some Soviet works like Prokofiev or Shostakovich but have simply lost the singing.What would you have chosen to supplant the jingoist anthems?

My nominations

1.Gadfly
2.Finlandia
3.Carmen exerpts
4.Dvorjak New World
5.Peter and the Woof

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby mercalia » 25 Aug 2020, 1:47pm

Get rid of the national anthem. the words totally as it refers to the Christian god? and asks him/her/it to vanquish our enemies. It also requires every other nation to recognise the one true god. Talk about Empire :roll: and any way falsifes the truth about our democracy - she aint got any power to do anything :twisted:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/british-national-anthem-lyrics/

( another song from the early C18)

rjb
Posts: 3984
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby rjb » 25 Aug 2020, 2:09pm

I've always enjoyed the last night. I would want to keep the sea shanties and perhaps conclude with Jerusalem. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

MrCJF
Posts: 13
Joined: 5 Aug 2020, 1:42pm

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby MrCJF » 25 Aug 2020, 2:51pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-yRKfD2GIk

Sample lyric:
Tra-la-la-la, tra-la-la-la, tra-la-la-la
We're making the world safe for capitalism

If you thought the army
Was here protecting people like yourself
I've some news for you
We're here to defend wealth
Away with nuns and bishops
The good lord will help those that help themselves
I've some news for you
We're here to defend wealth

Tra-la-la-la, tra-la-la-la, tra-la-la-la
We're making the world safe for capitalism

pwa
Posts: 12708
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby pwa » 25 Aug 2020, 3:25pm

For me the Proms are like Snooker and Wimbledon, something that takes over some of my fave telly channels and means I have less choice in what to watch for a couple of weeks. My only disappointment is when it is on. :)

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4905
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby Oldjohnw » 25 Aug 2020, 3:50pm

I listen to as many concerts as I can. Apart from the last night, although i have always liked Elgar.
John

merseymouth
Posts: 1931
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby merseymouth » 25 Aug 2020, 4:14pm

Hi all, Well we won't have to worry about what is played at the Proms for long?
I say this because it is funded to a large extent by the BBC, so with the current purge of any content that doesn't appeal to the "Yoof" Audience it won't survive in the present form. If it does continue it will probably be in a trendy "Glastonbury" style load of crepe!
I imagine "Flash" will soon be spinning in his grave. "TIMBER", gone. MM

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16055
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby mjr » 25 Aug 2020, 4:52pm

mercalia wrote:Get rid of the national anthem. the words totally as it refers to the Christian god? and asks him/her/it to vanquish our enemies. It also requires every other nation to recognise the one true god. Talk about Empire :roll: and any way falsifes the truth about our democracy - she aint got any power to do anything :twisted:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/british-national-anthem-lyrics/

( another song from the early C18)

Replace it because the tune is an awful dirge also used by two other countries and an American song anyway. It's only been in use since the last German-born King of England anyway. We can surely do better now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14164
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Aug 2020, 4:54pm

The European national anthem of course :wink:

I did go to a proms concert once
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pete75
Posts: 13163
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby pete75 » 25 Aug 2020, 5:18pm

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:Get rid of the national anthem. the words totally as it refers to the Christian god? and asks him/her/it to vanquish our enemies. It also requires every other nation to recognise the one true god. Talk about Empire :roll: and any way falsifes the truth about our democracy - she aint got any power to do anything :twisted:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/british-national-anthem-lyrics/

( another song from the early C18)

Replace it because the tune is an awful dirge also used by two other countries and an American song anyway. It's only been in use since the last German-born King of England anyway. We can surely do better now.


Yes. What we need is something rousing and inspiring - like this.


KTHSullivan
Posts: 162
Joined: 4 Aug 2017, 1:15pm
Location: Wind Swept Lincolnshire

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby KTHSullivan » 25 Aug 2020, 5:20pm

Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby mercalia » 25 Aug 2020, 5:29pm

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:Get rid of the national anthem. the words totally as it refers to the Christian god? and asks him/her/it to vanquish our enemies. It also requires every other nation to recognise the one true god. Talk about Empire :roll: and any way falsifes the truth about our democracy - she aint got any power to do anything :twisted:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/british-national-anthem-lyrics/

( another song from the early C18)

Replace it because the tune is an awful dirge also used by two other countries and an American song anyway. It's only been in use since the last German-born King of England anyway. We can surely do better now.


Yes. What we need is something rousing and inspiring - like this.



One of my favourite French singers with her gutteral delivery

merseymouth
Posts: 1931
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby merseymouth » 25 Aug 2020, 5:36pm

Yo, Marseillais? Only if interspersed with Conrad Veidt singing the Hort Vessel? "Of all the joints in all the world you had to walk into mine", "Here's looking at you kid" :lol: "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship" 8) . MM

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8811
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby al_yrpal » 25 Aug 2020, 6:02pm

What to replace the anthems?

Johny Rottern's God Save the Queen? :lol: ...or Queens 'We are the Champions'....

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

pwa
Posts: 12708
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Postby pwa » 25 Aug 2020, 6:05pm

al_yrpal wrote:What to replace the anthems?

Johny Rottern's God Save the Queen? :lol: ...or Queens 'We are the Champions'....

Al

"We will rock you", surely.