25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby mercalia » 28 Aug 2020, 11:35am

francovendee wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes, a web browser.
That's all that most folk need.

I keep a spreadsheet or two for accounts, and produce a letter or document or two to print out or save.
Generally though, just an internet link with a decent screen and a keyboard big enough for my chunky fingers.

Spot on. It's why I bought a Chromebook, it does all I need. You do have to trust Google mind! :lol:


and you do? One thing MS has done is their Credge browser that is Chrome stripped of all the Google stuff. Horray for that?
Last edited by mercalia on 28 Aug 2020, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8811
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby al_yrpal » 28 Aug 2020, 12:31pm

Credege?!!! Probably means another 30 minutes a day of downloading upgrades! :lol:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
velorog
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 8:50pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby velorog » 29 Aug 2020, 5:47pm

I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby mercalia » 29 Aug 2020, 7:28pm

velorog wrote:I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.


well the Windows 10 was free and incl free anti virus .

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17680
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby [XAP]Bob » 30 Aug 2020, 11:58pm

mercalia wrote:
velorog wrote:I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.


well the Windows 10 was free and incl free anti virus .


Windows 10 was never free...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby mercalia » 31 Aug 2020, 9:02am

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:
velorog wrote:I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.


well the Windows 10 was free and incl free anti virus .


Windows 10 was never free...


well I didnt pay for my copies. and mine aint bootlegged


pete75
Posts: 13163
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby pete75 » 1 Sep 2020, 11:04am

al_yrpal wrote:Credege?!!! Probably means another 30 minutes a day of downloading upgrades! :lol:

Al


Hmm actually Microsoft updates will download and install automatically at a time of your choosing. 03:00 is a good time to choose.

The point is people are at liberty to choose whatever OS they care to use. Folk who constantly attack other peoples choices either don't realise that or feel a need to constantly justify their own choice. If the latter it begs the question why?

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17680
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby [XAP]Bob » 3 Sep 2020, 1:26pm

mercalia wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:
well the Windows 10 was free and incl free anti virus .


Windows 10 was never free...


well I didnt pay for my copies. and mine aint bootlegged


So how did you acquire them?
You will have paid.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Jdsk
Posts: 2277
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby Jdsk » 3 Sep 2020, 1:29pm

There were some free upgrades, as described in the article linked above.

Jonathan

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17680
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby [XAP]Bob » 3 Sep 2020, 1:41pm

Jdsk wrote:There were some free upgrades, as described in the article linked above.

Jonathan


Which required you to have paid for the OS in the first place
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3418
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby simonineaston » 3 Sep 2020, 2:02pm

On August 24, 1995, Microsoft held what's likely to go down in history as its biggest Windows launch in history with Windows 95.
Argueably the biggest commercial con-trick of the 20th century. Back in the very early '80s, Gates had hood-winked major players like IBM into believing he could deliver and, in desperation, bought a disguarded * operating system following a chance encounter... The world had to wait 'till the launch of '95 before getting what he'd promised all those years ago. A glorious example of where lying can get you. Him and Jobs made a dream team.
* The developer had reservations about its inherant insecurity - ring any bells?
Last edited by simonineaston on 4 Sep 2020, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Postby mercalia » 3 Sep 2020, 6:06pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Windows 10 was never free...


well I didnt pay for my copies. and mine aint bootlegged


So how did you acquire them?
You will have paid.


well I bought some cheap as in £5 or so windows 8 licences from Ebay in the first place that gave me the free update, eventually.