Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MGrant

Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Postby MGrant » 27 Aug 2020, 2:47pm

I was looking at Railcards and see that they are going to offer a Veterans Railcard later this year.
Could be handy for those of us that have served.

simonineaston

Re: Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Postby simonineaston » 27 Aug 2020, 3:32pm

Now that sounds like a good idea :-) I'm not ex-forces but I do have a rail-card and it's Great!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Aug 2020, 6:53pm

Have a local railcard for Devon and Cornwall.
Since "maturing" into a Senior, I could have one as well.
Local Railcards cost a tenner or so, and a National Senior one costs £30?

Whist serving in the RN latterly, they were free, but they weren't automatically given as you had to apply for one ............. but you could get free travel from base to home return once a month anyway.

Served from 1969 to 1996.
Mick F. Cornwall

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 28 Aug 2020, 6:09am

|I really cannot see how the state can discriminate in favour of sevice personnel.Few actually are directly involved in combat so an army chef can see granny on the cheap but Amhed or Bejamin who served school lunches pay full whack and rely on Skype to chat to aunt Matilda.

pwa

Postby pwa » 28 Aug 2020, 6:56am

mumbojumbo wrote:|I really cannot see how the state can discriminate in favour of sevice personnel.Few actually are directly involved in combat so an army chef can see granny on the cheap but Amhed or Bejamin who served school lunches pay full whack and rely on Skype to chat to aunt Matilda.

Or NHS staff for that matter. Who do we rely on most, our nurses or our soldiers? It seems like a strange discrimination.

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 28 Aug 2020, 7:15am

pwa wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:|I really cannot see how the state can discriminate in favour of sevice personnel.Few actually are directly involved in combat so an army chef can see granny on the cheap but Amhed or Bejamin who served school lunches pay full whack and rely on Skype to chat to aunt Matilda.

Or NHS staff for that matter. Who do we rely on most, our nurses or our soldiers? It seems like a strange discrimination.

I agree that ex armed forces should receive railcards.

The list of comparison and resentment with civilian occupations is endless.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 28 Aug 2020, 7:19am

Personally our binmen are great. Without them our two weekly build up of refuse would be a real problem. I don't think they should get free rail cards because they get rewarded by getting paid. Do armed services not get paid then? We probably all appreciate their service even if not believing in armed combat but after service shouldn't they be just like the rest of us (obviously with support for injuries of any kind inflicted during service)?

I find the assigning of a hierarchy of value by occupation or age for services or benefits other than by need a bit of a problem. Whether it's giving ex armed services free rail cards or free bus passes / tv licences universally based on age without the filter if needs based assessment. I know that costs but it still doesn't make the universality of such benefits right.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 28 Aug 2020, 7:21am

windmiller wrote:
pwa wrote:

I agree that ex armed forces should receive railcards.

The list of comparison and resentment with civilian occupations is endless.

Perhaps free railcard to nhs staff, fire and rescue staff, police too? Where can the line be drawn? Any line is purely arbitrary.

pwa

Postby pwa » 28 Aug 2020, 7:27am

Tangled Metal wrote:Perhaps free railcard to nhs staff, fire and rescue staff, police too? Where can the line be drawn?

It would be less messy to just ensure people are paid properly in the first place, then they can pay the same price as everybody else for railcards or whatever.

If we do have to have particular professions having railcards free, I'd put the police ahead of the armed forces. They face a combat zone every single day. The same for Health Service staff. And what about volunteers such as RNLI / Mountain Rescue? The list of deserving folk goes on and on.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Aug 2020, 7:45am

I am bewildered and become more and more alienated. Trying as hard as I can I fail to see why a group or groups of occupations get special treatment over others.
I know, personally, that some ex service people have great difficulty thriving in life outside of the service and I wouldn’t deny help to anyone but can someone explain why a 'veteran' should get help over and above others?

Have we always referred to ex service people as veterans I haven’t really noticed the word until recently. Or is this something that has crept over from the USA? Are we only years away from our own Hitler Trump clearly visible on the TV last night.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Aug 2020, 7:49am

What next? Free TV licences?
John

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 28 Aug 2020, 10:23am

Aren't the armed services well paid anyway? Lower grades obviously less as in civilian (public and private sector). If am ex servicemen can't afford a railcard if needed then they're probably in the same boat financially as our less well off civilians. So shouldn't everyone in that situation get the free railcard?

Afaik veteran was traditionally accorded to those servicemen and servicemen who had seen active duty in a war zone. If they haven't seen that they're ex service men or women. In the USA it seems even without combat action they're veterans. I prefer to use ex servicemen, not least because that's what the local club for them round here calls them judging by its name. It's our traditional term not veteran imho.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 28 Aug 2020, 12:53pm

In timetrialling anyone over 40 is a veteran :wink:

Older people get all sorts of other discounts and benefit too
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 28 Aug 2020, 1:00pm

The allocation of these treats is divisive.Boris and the outlaws talk of one nation conservatism yet offer rewards on a partial basis.At the very least the universal card should be replaced by one allocated to those with a physical disability or mental health issues,like post-traumatic stress disorder.

Syd

Postby Syd » 28 Aug 2020, 2:13pm

There seems to be little detail on how it will operate.

I can see it is going to enable the holder to get discounted rail travel but what about the card itself? Is it free or have a cost like the Two Together card?

Mrs Syd and I both work for the NHS but by far the cheapest rail travel is with Two Together card. The first use paid for the card for a year.