Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
millimole

Re: Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Postby millimole » 4 Sep 2020, 9:00am

Another advantage of the Disabled Person's Railcard is that the discount also applies to your companion (aka carer).
The terms of the card are sufficiently wide to allow those of us with NHS hearing aids to get a card (apparently hoops need to be jumped through if you don't have a NHS appointment card)
It's a bargain!

And yes, there are enough discount cards available - another one isn't needed. It might be easier to drop all fares by a third and issue a card to those not entitled to a discount and charge them the extra.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 4 Sep 2020, 10:13am

Mike Sales wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:No it can't. He travelled the length of England because if you live in England your bus pass doesn't cover Scotland.

Does not cover Wales either, so there is another limit.

Aaah! But mrs mickf could travel from Gunnislake to Preston by bus as it's still classed as England, although there's some who feel Cornwall is a separate nation of course.

Anyway, was never meant to be a serious solution to Mrs mickf 's travelling costs. I thought it would be obvious that it's not practical. Do we always need to use smillies to make the obvious more obvious?

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 4 Sep 2020, 10:21am

Hi Millimole, You will find that I had already posted the advantages up for a DPR. Yes, I have my disability travel cards due to H.I., a letter from my ENT Consultant avoided all the normal hoops. Cheaper than a Senior Citizen Card, with the bonus of double person discount, what's not to like?
I pay for three years at a time, even more savings :D . MM

PH

Postby PH » 4 Sep 2020, 11:33am

millimole wrote:And yes, there are enough discount cards available - another one isn't needed.

Need? Who said anything about need? Your point reinforces the one I made earlier that it's a marketing tool.
Yes they could just drop all fares, though it wouldn't be for 30% if it was to be at the same value to them, I don't know the percentage of travellers with a railcard but I doubt it's half. But it is good marketing and who doesn't like to think they're getting a bargain? Even if they're not.
The entire rail fare structure is a mess, even without the railcards, full of anomalies and unfairness, it costs the taxpayer a fortune in subsidies yet it's run as a business, too many conflicting interests for it to be an efficient public service.

PH

Postby PH » 4 Sep 2020, 11:48am

Mick F wrote:Talking of rail pricing ...........
Mrs Mick F wants to visit her sister in Lancashire.
Gunnislake to there - just south of Preston - will cost £150 return with her senior railcard.

There's always the coach, Plymouth to Manchester is about £35 and there may be pick ups more convenient to you than Plymouth. Yes it takes all day, so it depends on your tolerance for such things, but it can be a bargain. A couple of years ago I managed train-coach-train with a folding bike from Penzance to Derby for £28.
Also even for train fares it's worth looking at Megabus, despite the name many of the journeys they sell are by train, no bike booking possible, but it may be possible to book that separate.