Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Railcards for ex Armed Forces.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or maybe we should just raise fuel duty (Both road and air) and subsidise the rail network overall...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You cannot raise fuel duty on planes-there is none surprisingly
https://airqualitynews.com/2019/05/10/e ... x-on-fuel/
PH

Post by PH »

I think some people have misunderstood railcards - other than the Disabled Persons Railcard they're not a benefit but a marketing tool, just look at some of the categories -
https://www.railcard.co.uk/about-railcards/

I've just qualified for the senior one (It's really no compensation for getting older) £70 for three years, yes I'll easily make that back, but it'll also tempt me into making some train trips I might otherwise not have. I'm no more deserving that I was a month ago, my financial position hasn't changed. I doubt anyone at National Rail thinks it has, they've just seen an opportunity to encourage more ticket sales and it works.
So someone has decided there's an additional group they can sell to, and maybe glean some goodwill along the way, no one loses from it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plenty do save with railcards, but plenty do not
I am noting my rail trips and ticket prices to decide whether it is worth getting a railcard
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In timetrialling anyone over 40 is a veteran :wink:

Older people get all sorts of other discounts and benefit too

Same with the Armed Services... I became a "Veteran" at 38
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Typically is a third off rail travel, sometimes only off peak travel. You pay £30 or £20 for disabled card for this reduction in ticket price. I assume veterans would also pay£30 for it or is it a free Railcard that's being discussed? Whichever these cards are a way to reduce costs of rail travel.

It does look like there's a Railcard for everyone anyway. Why create another category? Also, railcards kind of imply ticket prices are overpriced by a third in the first place if they can give such a discount for only £30 up front. I had one as a student and easily saved the card price.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talking of rail pricing ...........

Mrs Mick F wants to visit her sister in Lancashire.
Gunnislake to there - just south of Preston - will cost £150 return with her senior railcard.

However, she can save £20odd by going return from Plymouth, but a single to Plymouth is only a fiver (can't buy returns) so by going Plymouth return, she saves a tenner even going from Gunnislake.

However (again!) if she went Exeter/Lancashire return and bought a Gunnislake/Exeter return with the train times dovetailing in, she can save £40 or so.

Stupid system! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Still seems expensive
Can one save more by booking far in advance or taking an early or late train?

Or just check the price again tomorrow, could have gone down. Or up :?
I understand the interweb is so smart, if it sees that you have checked the prices several times but not bought it might drop the price

Is there something to be said for simply charging so much per mile or kilometer?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Friend of ours is Dutch, and he says that in Holland, they charge by the kilometre.
Far better system.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, I buy a DPR, but being over 70 I would be able to buy that, as does SWMBO.
The DPR is cheaper than a Seniors railcard.
If I bought a Seniors one SWMBO would have to buy one as well. So over double my expenditure.
But as my DPR allows two to travel at the discounted fare I'm a winner all around! I get my money back quite easily, that is apart from during the Covid meltdown. IGICB (at cheaper rate) MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Over 70? Why not use your free bus pass and take your time? :lol:

Cheapest option but you have to travel out of peak times and change buses a lot.

Not a serious idea but iirc one guy travelled the length and breadth of the UK using only free bus travel when it first came into existence. Can be done.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Friend of ours is Dutch, and he says that in Holland, they charge by the kilometre.
Far better system.

That's not my experience. Advance tickets, discount tickets, off-peak, day and period passes, different prices for different classes of trains...
It is generally cheaper though, most noticeably if you need to travel without booking in advance.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote:Over 70? Why not use your free bus pass and take your time? :lol:

Cheapest option but you have to travel out of peak times and change buses a lot.

Not a serious idea but iirc one guy travelled the length and breadth of the UK using only free bus travel when it first came into existence. Can be done.

No it can't. He travelled the length of England because if you live in England your bus pass doesn't cover Scotland. It also took about 9 days because you can only use local services.

It only took me 11 days to do JOGLE.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote:No it can't. He travelled the length of England because if you live in England your bus pass doesn't cover Scotland.

Does not cover Wales either, so there is another limit.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:No it can't. He travelled the length of England because if you live in England your bus pass doesn't cover Scotland.

Does not cover Wales either, so there is another limit.

But if you need 9 nights of accommodation, where's the saving?
John