Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
KTHSullivan

Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Post by KTHSullivan »

Any consider the above to be true, or do I have a dodgy batch? Just making some fajitas for tea endeavoured to crumble some chicken oxo cubes into my special flavouring; not very crumbly.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
mercalia

Re: Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Post by mercalia »

as they go off they absorb water and become solid. But they have to be real old for that to happen in my limited experience.
mumbojumbo

Re: Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Post by mumbojumbo »

People are now unused to physical labout and can struggle with the task of crumbling.It can be helped by placing the cube betweennthe thighs and squeezing gently.This softens the cube.
Last edited by mumbojumbo on 28 Aug 2020, 6:03am, edited 1 time in total.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

mumbojumbo wrote:People are now unused to physical klabout and can struggle with the task of crumbling.It can be helped by placing the cube betweennthe thighs and squezzing gently.This softens the cube.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

These particular OXOs are well within date and there individual wrappings are intact, they also seem a tadge more sticky than they used to be.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never used an OXO cube in over forty years, so I can't comment in the slightest. Honestly and truthfully.

Married 47years this autumn. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Stop press; just done an auxiliary OXO cube squeeze with a new "virgin" box different batch number and bought from a different shop. And the result is.............not as crumbly as I remember. So I consider that they must have altered the make up. Probably they no longer contain crushed dolphin bladders or similar. :D
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

And the tomato sauce of both Baked Beans (57 varities) and Glenrych Pilchards isn't as rich and tomatoey as in yesteryear. :shock:
IMHO.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

PDQ Mobile wrote:And the tomato sauce of both Baked Beans (57 varities) and Glenrych Pilchards isn't as rich and tomatoey as in yesteryear. :shock:
IMHO.

I think you have go something there as well. Chocolate bars the same price forever, but becoming progressively so small I consider by this time next year you will need an electron microscope to see a two quid bar of dairy milk. Shrinkflation!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PDQ Mobile wrote:And the tomato sauce of both Baked Beans (57 varities) and Glenrych Pilchards isn't as rich and tomatoey as in yesteryear. :shock:
IMHO.

Try lidl just 22p a tin
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just as an aside, I didn't know this for years and years, if you unfold the ends of wrapped oxo code you can crush it entirely within the wrapper, and then open it to dispense oxo dust...

[youtube]AKI40q38LUw[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Just as an aside, I didn't know this for years and years, if you unfold the ends of wrapped oxo code you can crush it entirely within the wrapper, and then open it to dispense oxo dust...

[youtube]AKI40q38LUw[/youtube]

Be rest assured that before I placed the question on the forum I had performed both forms of crumbling, namely within and outwith it's aluminium foil condom. Subsequently the only conclusion I can come to is that they are indeed less crumbly.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

For video evidence of historic crumbliness levels see around 00:08 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FkH0Ah1eM4
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

backnotes wrote:For video evidence of historic crumbliness levels see around 00:08 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FkH0Ah1eM4

Suspicions confirmed :(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I cant speak for chicken cubes but the beef ones as good as they always were.