Fox News UK?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8812
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Fox News UK?

Postby al_yrpal » 29 Aug 2020, 10:12am

Murdochs organisation is apparently planning a rival News source to the BBC..

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... tion-in-uk

Personally, I dont think the BBC really has a left wing agenda and what I have seen of Fox News is a bit scary. All the stuff about the anthems is just Daily Wail style ridiculous waffle.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

mumbojumbo
Posts: 405
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby mumbojumbo » 29 Aug 2020, 10:56am

Spose they will shift something decent like slum tenant,posh landlord from Channel 5 to create a slot.There goes my daytime diet.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4932
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Aug 2020, 11:11am

The left thnk the BBC has a pro-government right wing agenda. It was always thus. This time, however, the government has been making it clear for some time that they want to control the BBC.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 30 Aug 2020, 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.
John

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10767
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby Cunobelin » 29 Aug 2020, 12:04pm

al_yrpal wrote:Murdochs organisation is apparently planning a rival News source to the BBC..

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... tion-in-uk

Personally, I dont think the BBC really has a left wing agenda and what I have seen of Fox News is a bit scary. All the stuff about the anthems is just Daily Wail style ridiculous waffle.

Al


Ironically it is due to polarisation that the BBC bias is caused

If they print anything not rabidly pro-Brexit, anti-immigrant and in support of Boris, they are unretrievably left-wing and biased.

If they print anything that is seen as supporting Brexit, Boris or the Government they are biassed to the right

francovendee
Posts: 1532
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby francovendee » 30 Aug 2020, 9:08am

Cunobelin
Indeed, even within one household the BBC is viewed as being biased. My wife thinks it's a right wing one and I think the opposite. :lol: :lol:
I think generally the BBC tries not to take sides but doesn't hesitate to make a criticism of any of the Parties,

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2453
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby Ben@Forest » 30 Aug 2020, 9:09am

Cunobelin wrote:Ironically it is due to polarisation that the BBC bias is caused

If they print anything not rabidly pro-Brexit, anti-immigrant and in support of Boris, they are unretrievably left-wing and biased.

If they print anything that is seen as supporting Brexit, Boris or the Government they are biassed to the right


The BBC have had two of their own reports which have identified they have/had a more liberal and pro EU bias.

It's not a surprise when BBC staff and spend is disproportionately in London. London was the only English region to vote Remain, has a high foreign-born population and the BBC likely has a high foreign born workforce (only natural if you're a global news provider and are trying to provide programmes which are diverse). But that workforce, that content and the political outlook that comes with it does not reflect England in the round. (I'm ignoring Scotland and Wales because they have their own BBC divisions - they probably have their own issues.)

I think enough BBC employees have made this point. John Humphrys' comments on retirement were particularly trenchant, but he's far from the only originally regional journalist to have identified this.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3434
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby simonineaston » 30 Aug 2020, 10:18am

I dont think the BBC really has a left wing agenda
Folks who look into this issue, with a view to staying calm & neutral, will find that the BBC has critics from right across the political agenda. The whole point of its funding model is that it enables the BBC to stay as far as possible, independant from government and ownership. Privately owned news corporations will always reflect the political bias of their owner. The BBC is, at the moment, the closest we have got to an independant press.
Setting aside folks tendacy to find fault, not unreasonably, with the current funding model, we would do well to look carefully at the people who head up commercial news corporations, for the whole point of owning one, as far as they are concerned, is to get the rest of us to fit into their world-view. Looking at Fox as an example, alarm bells should be ringing in the minds of decent, liberal, fair-minded folks. On the plus side, big daddy is nearly 90 and if his Texan ex-model wife doesn't do for him, old age soon surely will... on the minus side, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. These are the people who thought it was OK to hack Milly Dowler's phone.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 30 Aug 2020, 11:48am

simonineaston wrote:
I dont think the BBC really has a left wing agenda
Folks who look into this issue, with a view to staying calm & neutral, will find that the BBC has critics from right across the political agenda. The whole point of its funding model is that it enables the BBC to stay as far as possible, independant from government and ownership. Privately owned news corporations will always reflect the political bias of their owner. The BBC is, at the moment, the closest we have got to an independant press.
Setting aside folks tendacy to find fault, not unreasonably, with the current funding model, we would do well to look carefully at the people who head up commercial news corporations, for the whole point of owning one, as far as they are concerned, is to get the rest of us to fit into their world-view. Looking at Fox as an example, alarm bells should be ringing in the minds of decent, liberal, fair-minded folks..


:lol:


pete75
Posts: 13186
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby pete75 » 1 Sep 2020, 10:56am

windmiller wrote:
simonineaston wrote:
I dont think the BBC really has a left wing agenda
Folks who look into this issue, with a view to staying calm & neutral, will find that the BBC has critics from right across the political agenda. The whole point of its funding model is that it enables the BBC to stay as far as possible, independant from government and ownership. Privately owned news corporations will always reflect the political bias of their owner. The BBC is, at the moment, the closest we have got to an independant press.
Setting aside folks tendacy to find fault, not unreasonably, with the current funding model, we would do well to look carefully at the people who head up commercial news corporations, for the whole point of owning one, as far as they are concerned, is to get the rest of us to fit into their world-view. Looking at Fox as an example, alarm bells should be ringing in the minds of decent, liberal, fair-minded folks..


:lol:


Windy, why did you cut the reference to your heroes being 'the people who thought it was OK to hack Milly Dowler's phone.' when you quoted Simon?

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3434
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby simonineaston » 1 Sep 2020, 1:22pm

What those fair-minded, free-thinking folks referred to earlier, want from a quality news provider can be summed up in few words: objectivity, currency, accuracy and decency.
Or to put it another way, so long as their journalists are up-to-date with their stories, and get the facts right, use decent enough ways to collect them and are up front about their editorial slant, most literate readers will happily consume news from a variety of sources - I certainly do. I’m as happy reading an article from the Daily Telegraph, The Economist, The Financial Times, or The Guardian & the local BBC news - or indeed, the paper I part-fund, Bristol Cable. They find and publish news, each from a range of view-points.
What I don’t want is to be taken for a fool and accept news from an organisation who spins it round and round, at the same time as putting it out as The Facts - and I especially don’t want news from any organisation with a track history of behaving without a detectable moral compass. The worst journalists behave with no scruples and no shame. Some frightful individuals have barely escaped a criminal record.
There is, and always has been, a tension between the two poles. Folks may remember the 2 news voices of the old Soviet union - Pravda and Tass, respectively translated (roughly) as The Truth and The News. The joke amongst journos of the time was that there was no truth in The News and no news in The Truth…
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 1 Sep 2020, 5:03pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
simonineaston wrote:Folks who look into this issue, with a view to staying calm & neutral, will find that the BBC has critics from right across the political agenda. The whole point of its funding model is that it enables the BBC to stay as far as possible, independant from government and ownership. Privately owned news corporations will always reflect the political bias of their owner. The BBC is, at the moment, the closest we have got to an independant press.
Setting aside folks tendacy to find fault, not unreasonably, with the current funding model, we would do well to look carefully at the people who head up commercial news corporations, for the whole point of owning one, as far as they are concerned, is to get the rest of us to fit into their world-view. Looking at Fox as an example, alarm bells should be ringing in the minds of decent, liberal, fair-minded folks..


:lol:


Windy, why did you cut the reference to your heroes being 'the people who thought it was OK to hack Milly Dowler's phone.' when you quoted Simon?


Well Pete75, because that part of the post was not amusing.
The only hero I have is my dearly departed dad.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 1 Sep 2020, 8:20pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Ironically it is due to polarisation that the BBC bias is caused

If they print anything not rabidly pro-Brexit, anti-immigrant and in support of Boris, they are unretrievably left-wing and biased.

If they print anything that is seen as supporting Brexit, Boris or the Government they are biassed to the right


The BBC have had two of their own reports which have identified they have/had a more liberal and pro EU bias.

It's not a surprise when BBC staff and spend is disproportionately in London. London was the only English region to vote Remain, has a high foreign-born population and the BBC likely has a high foreign born workforce (only natural if you're a global news provider and are trying to provide programmes which are diverse). But that workforce, that content and the political outlook that comes with it does not reflect England in the round. (I'm ignoring Scotland and Wales because they have their own BBC divisions - they probably have their own issues.)

I think enough BBC employees have made this point. John Humphrys' comments on retirement were particularly trenchant, but he's far from the only originally regional journalist to have identified this.

I, unsurpisingly do not share this analysis.
What little I saw or heard always seemed rather pro leave.
The last word nearly always given to the leave spokesman.
The last word is very important as it is the one that stays more in the mind.
Simple way to influence.
And Farage (where is he now? In Trumpland no doubt) was given a huge platform.
He stated Merkel was "finished". Ha.

Oxford (is in England?) voted Remain. So at least one more.
Brighton maybe?

And Vladivostok voted leave.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 1 Sep 2020, 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 1 Sep 2020, 8:21pm

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
:lol:


Windy, why did you cut the reference to your heroes being 'the people who thought it was OK to hack Milly Dowler's phone.' when you quoted Simon?


Well Pete75, because that part of the post was not amusing.
The only hero I have is my dearly departed dad.

I thought Farage was your hero. He has certainly departed.
You must be quite young.

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 1 Sep 2020, 8:52pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Windy, why did you cut the reference to your heroes being 'the people who thought it was OK to hack Milly Dowler's phone.' when you quoted Simon?


Well Pete75, because that part of the post was not amusing.
The only hero I have is my dearly departed dad.

I thought Farage was your hero. He has certainly departed.
You must be quite young.


Fascinating, you must be one of those decent fair minded liberal folks.