Fox News UK?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75
Posts: 13186
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby pete75 » 13 Sep 2020, 6:38pm

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
Hmmm a good example of prejudice and elitism.
I suppose by that rationale the large numbers of brighter and better educated EU migrants made the wiser choice to chose Peterborough over Cambridge.


You don't think Cambridge might just have more better educated and intelligent people than Peterborough. Methinks you know nowt about either place.

Yes they did make the wiser choice - easier to shine in comparison with the locals they're competing with in the jobs market.


You don't know what I think about either place because you are not a mind reader, even if you imagine that you are. However you have made your contempt for the good folks of Peterborough plain enough to see, and your patronizing view of EU migrants is equally illuminating.

I know from your comments you know damn all about either place. As for your second sentence you're just wrong.

pete75
Posts: 13186
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby pete75 » 13 Sep 2020, 6:46pm

Ben@Forest wrote:It was commonly (and accurately) reported that university towns more likely voted Remain than towns. Of course however Peterborough has a campus of the Anglia Ruskin University in the city.

People who can move around in jobs (especially abroad) were bound to be more pro-EU and many lecturers or students would have been from Leave voting areas originally. But if you're not likely to or do not wish to move abroad then the benefits of the EU mean less to you. EU immigration may even have affected you adversely.

And the 'less educated' label is something to be wary of. Less educated does not mean people are not bright and clever or innovative in their jobs in a way an academic classicist could never hope to achieve.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewee ... main%3famp


It's tiny - not much over a thousand students. They've plans for a University of Peterborough though whether the country needs any more university places is a moot point.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 13 Sep 2020, 9:25pm

Ben@Forest wrote:It was commonly (and accurately) reported that university towns more likely voted Remain than towns. Of course however Peterborough has a campus of the Anglia Ruskin University in the city.

People who can move around in jobs (especially abroad) were bound to be more pro-EU and many lecturers or students would have been from Leave voting areas originally. But if you're not likely to or do not wish to move abroad then the benefits of the EU mean less to you. EU immigration may even have affected you adversely.

And the 'less educated' label is something to be wary of. Less educated does not mean people are not bright and clever or innovative in their jobs in a way an academic classicist could never hope to achieve.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewee ... main%3famp

The debate about immigration was and remains flawed. And one sided.

The UK Govt had and has powers to limit immigration. We were not Schengen members.
But successive Home Secretaries did nothing, mostly because it benefitted the growth based home economy with cheap wages etc.

Still some of those immigrants will leave now.
And the meat on the plate will still have to be slaughtered and butchered and the Brussels Sprouts picked in a biting East wind by someone I guess.
And I suspect UK born labour may want more money to tempt them into such hard and unpleasant work, so expect some hefty inflation as a follow on.
Pounds right down again too 'cos of the breaking of International Law row, so that's inflationary too.
If you haven't noticed it you don't live in the UK!

The benefits membership extended to all of us. One did not need to travel for work or play to enjoy them.
Although their were significant plusses there for travellers for sure. Reciprocal E111 healthcare to name but one. (before you ask I have never needed it, except for a sting in the eye once whilst cycling and I was glad of a doctor to see it.)

But as is so often the case, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
And no-one ever claimed it was perfect.

Still you got your "parcel of rogues" and liars and I expect you're happy about that?
For any means now justifies the cause?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4932
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Sep 2020, 9:34pm

Interesting to note that the trade deal with Japan celebrated last week imposes much stricter terms re state aid than that required by the EU.

https://amp.ft.com/content/edb7d155-56b ... ssion=true
John

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 13 Sep 2020, 9:43pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
You don't think Cambridge might just have more better educated and intelligent people than Peterborough. Methinks you know nowt about either place.

Yes they did make the wiser choice - easier to shine in comparison with the locals they're competing with in the jobs market.


You don't know what I think about either place because you are not a mind reader, even if you imagine that you are. However you have made your contempt for the good folks of Peterborough plain enough to see, and your patronizing view of EU migrants is equally illuminating.

I know from your comments you know damn all about either place. As for your second sentence you're just wrong.


Can you provide proof where I state that I claim to be an informed authority on the IQ and the intelligence of the residents of Cambridge and Peterborough as you claim to be?

You stated that Peterborough would Somehow have enhanced IQ and intelligence on account of its influx of EU migrants. Would the same magical thinking not apply to Cambridge also?

Perhaps you should try a little less elitist stereotyping.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2453
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby Ben@Forest » 13 Sep 2020, 10:06pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:Still you got your "parcel of rogues" and liars and I expect you're happy about that?
For any means now justifies the cause?


Once, just once, argue in an objective fashion. I will snip your posts until you do.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 14 Sep 2020, 7:54am

Ben@Forest wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Still you got your "parcel of rogues" and liars and I expect you're happy about that?
For any means now justifies the cause?


Once, just once, argue in an objective fashion. I will snip your posts until you do.


You snipped them anyway!!
And the all the objective bit out this time.

And anyway my little jibe is quite objective IMV.

So I ask again.
Are you happy about the UK breaking its recently signed agreements?

Surely the basis of this sort of negotiation is some trust?
Objective?

Ps. I see that that unpleasant Codpiece, big mouthpiece, and Brexit supporter Geoffrey Cox (ex Attorney General) will vote against the new legislation. Wow!

pete75
Posts: 13186
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby pete75 » 14 Sep 2020, 9:34am

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
You don't know what I think about either place because you are not a mind reader, even if you imagine that you are. However you have made your contempt for the good folks of Peterborough plain enough to see, and your patronizing view of EU migrants is equally illuminating.

I know from your comments you know damn all about either place. As for your second sentence you're just wrong.


Can you provide proof where I state that I claim to be an informed authority on the IQ and the intelligence of the residents of Cambridge and Peterborough as you claim to be?

You stated that Peterborough would Somehow have enhanced IQ and intelligence on account of its influx of EU migrants. Would the same magical thinking not apply to Cambridge also?

Perhaps you should try a little less elitist stereotyping.


I am talking about two places I know well. You seem to be claiming I'm wrong. To do that implies you think you have knowledge of the cities. Internally circulating local authority stats on educational levels etc of EU migrant moving to Peterborough show them to have higher average levels of attainment than the local population. I'm talking about facts not stereotypes.
Elitist appears to have overtaken snowflake as the most popular jibe used by those of a right wing populist persuasion. Strangely they don't seem to realise their heroes , Johnson, Cummings, Farage, Trump, Raab etc all have very elitist and privileged backgrounds.

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 14 Sep 2020, 12:58pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:I know from your comments you know damn all about either place. As for your second sentence you're just wrong.


Can you provide proof where I state that I claim to be an informed authority on the IQ and the intelligence of the residents of Cambridge and Peterborough as you claim to be?

You stated that Peterborough would Somehow have enhanced IQ and intelligence on account of its influx of EU migrants. Would the same magical thinking not apply to Cambridge also?

Perhaps you should try a little less elitist stereotyping.


I am talking about two places I know well. You seem to be claiming I'm wrong. To do that implies you think you have knowledge of the cities. Internally circulating local authority stats on educational levels etc of EU migrant moving to Peterborough show them to have higher average levels of attainment than the local population. I'm talking about facts not stereotypes.
Elitist appears to have overtaken snowflake as the most popular jibe used by those of a right wing populist persuasion. Strangely they don't seem to realise their heroes , Johnson, Cummings, Farage, Trump, Raab etc all have very elitist and privileged backgrounds.


Someone who continues to view facts and statistics as one and the same is doomed to be eternally misinformed. Did the Brexit vote not teach you that?

My point is that the comparison of privileged Cambridge with deprived Peterborough regarding voting choices, is that despite the canyon between wealth, education and job status, each democratic vote is counted as of equal merit.
An X in a voting booth is one of the few actions of equality where the less fortunate have the opportunity to express themselves on a level playing field, and should not be mocked for doing so.

pete75
Posts: 13186
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby pete75 » 15 Sep 2020, 11:48am

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
Can you provide proof where I state that I claim to be an informed authority on the IQ and the intelligence of the residents of Cambridge and Peterborough as you claim to be?

You stated that Peterborough would Somehow have enhanced IQ and intelligence on account of its influx of EU migrants. Would the same magical thinking not apply to Cambridge also?

Perhaps you should try a little less elitist stereotyping.


I am talking about two places I know well. You seem to be claiming I'm wrong. To do that implies you think you have knowledge of the cities. Internally circulating local authority stats on educational levels etc of EU migrant moving to Peterborough show them to have higher average levels of attainment than the local population. I'm talking about facts not stereotypes.
Elitist appears to have overtaken snowflake as the most popular jibe used by those of a right wing populist persuasion. Strangely they don't seem to realise their heroes , Johnson, Cummings, Farage, Trump, Raab etc all have very elitist and privileged backgrounds.


Someone who continues to view facts and statistics as one and the same is doomed to be eternally misinformed. Did the Brexit vote not teach you that?

My point is that the comparison of privileged Cambridge with deprived Peterborough regarding voting choices, is that despite the canyon between wealth, education and job status, each democratic vote is counted as of equal merit.
An X in a voting booth is one of the few actions of equality where the less fortunate have the opportunity to express themselves on a level playing field, and should not be mocked for doing so.


There's a great deal of difference between opinion polls used in elections and statistics gathered and analysed by professional statisticians. A great deal of decision making is based on them including road safety. I take it then if statistics showed 15 cyclists had been killed or seriously injured on a particular stretch of road in the last three years and the local authority was using this fact as a reason to but in place a barrier separated cycleway you'd say they were wrong as the stats prove nothing?

Your second point does reinforce the fact that the less well educated tended to support Brexit. Shame they're likely to be the ones who suffer most from it's economic consequences.

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 15 Sep 2020, 5:19pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I am talking about two places I know well. You seem to be claiming I'm wrong. To do that implies you think you have knowledge of the cities. Internally circulating local authority stats on educational levels etc of EU migrant moving to Peterborough show them to have higher average levels of attainment than the local population. I'm talking about facts not stereotypes.
Elitist appears to have overtaken snowflake as the most popular jibe used by those of a right wing populist persuasion. Strangely they don't seem to realise their heroes , Johnson, Cummings, Farage, Trump, Raab etc all have very elitist and privileged backgrounds.


Someone who continues to view facts and statistics as one and the same is doomed to be eternally misinformed. Did the Brexit vote not teach you that?

My point is that the comparison of privileged Cambridge with deprived Peterborough regarding voting choices, is that despite the canyon between wealth, education and job status, each democratic vote is counted as of equal merit.
An X in a voting booth is one of the few actions of equality where the less fortunate have the opportunity to express themselves on a level playing field, and should not be mocked for doing so.


There's a great deal of difference between opinion polls used in elections and statistics gathered and analysed by professional statisticians. A great deal of decision making is based on them including road safety. I take it then if statistics showed 15 cyclists had been killed or seriously injured on a particular stretch of road in the last three years and the local authority was using this fact as a reason to but in place a barrier separated cycleway you'd say they were wrong as the stats prove nothing?

Your second point does reinforce the fact that the less well educated tended to support Brexit. Shame they're likely to be the ones who suffer most from it's economic consequences.


Your first point is a poor analogy.

Your second point is an example of the attitude combined with the false sense of superiority that led to illiberal and undemocratic ideologies being defeated by Brexit and at the last General election.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 15 Sep 2020, 7:31pm

^^
Your second point not as you suggest but is an example of liberal and tolerant ideologies being defeated by elite vested interests and powerful influence of their media.
And by Russian interference.
They prefer poisoning the opposition to liberal ideals.

Seen or heard of good 'ol Farage lately?
Ask him, if you can find him, because he knows.
He knows how to cheat expenses too but he got caught at that. :shock:

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 16 Sep 2020, 6:49pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
Your second point not as you suggest but is an example of liberal and tolerant ideologies being defeated by elite vested interests and powerful influence of their media.
And by Russian interference.
They prefer poisoning the opposition to liberal ideals.

Seen or heard of good 'ol Farage lately?
Ask him, if you can find him, because he knows.
He knows how to cheat expenses too but he got caught at that. :shock:


:lol: Don't forget to include Lord Voldemort and the wicked forces of Mordor

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 16 Sep 2020, 7:20pm

windmiller wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
Your second point not as you suggest but is an example of liberal and tolerant ideologies being defeated by elite vested interests and powerful influence of their media.
And by Russian interference.
They prefer poisoning the opposition to liberal ideals.

Seen or heard of good 'ol Farage lately?
Ask him, if you can find him, because he knows.
He knows how to cheat expenses too but he got caught at that. :shock:


:lol: Don't forget to include Lord Voldemort and the wicked forces of Mordor

No just amoral hypocrite, anti liberal, and greedy avaristic tax avoider Rees Mogg for starters.
Gun runner and crook Liam Fox for seconds.

There's loads of unsavoury characters associted with wanting to leave the scutiny of the EU.
It is after all more 'Green' leaning, socially inclined and tries to do something about tax avoidence by the likes of above.
And Putin had his own geopolitical reasons for wishing to see the block weakened.
Supporter of the liberal cause that he is.

windmiller
Posts: 619
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Fox News UK?

Postby windmiller » 16 Sep 2020, 10:59pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
windmiller wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
Your second point not as you suggest but is an example of liberal and tolerant ideologies being defeated by elite vested interests and powerful influence of their media.
And by Russian interference.
They prefer poisoning the opposition to liberal ideals.

Seen or heard of good 'ol Farage lately?
Ask him, if you can find him, because he knows.
He knows how to cheat expenses too but he got caught at that. :shock:


:lol: Don't forget to include Lord Voldemort and the wicked forces of Mordor

No just amoral hypocrite, anti liberal, and greedy avaristic tax avoider Rees Mogg for starters.
Gun runner and crook Liam Fox for seconds.

There's loads of unsavoury characters associted with wanting to leave the scutiny of the EU.
It is after all more 'Green' leaning, socially inclined and tries to do something about tax avoidence by the likes of above.
And Putin had his own geopolitical reasons for wishing to see the block weakened.
Supporter of the liberal cause that he is.


There is nothing liberal about a divided undemocratic rigid trading Super State like the EU.

Surprised you have omitted the likes of Pablo Escobar, Lavrentiy Beria, Grigori Rasputin, Judas Iscariot or even Terry Thomas.
I'm sure from beyond the grave they are secretly working to undermine your utopian beloved EU.