Surnames

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Surnames

Post by Mick F »

Generally, when people marry, the wife takes the surname of the husband.
Children take the same surname too.
Been like that for hundreds of years and wives loose their names.
If the roles were reversed, and the husband took the wife's surname, the same thing would happen.

Is there a non-gender solution to this?
Are surnames pointless?
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Re: Surnames

Post by Tangled Metal »

Double barrelled names. Not just for toffs you know! :D

Of course the kids get the double barrelled names, adults keep their own. Then at school they often get their surnames shortened to the initials of their double barrelled names.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are many other naming systems around the world.

Couples should be free to use whichever they want.

Our children have both of our family names, and can choose themselves what they want to be called.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:Double barrelled names. Not just for toffs you know! :D
Yes, true, but what happens a generation later?
Quadruple-barrelled names?

Then what?
Octuple?
Mick F. Cornwall
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote:
Yes, true, but what happens a generation later?
Quadruple-barrelled names?

Then what?
Octuple?

I think that's more or less the Spanish system.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The second family name typically only lasts for one generation. Historically the maternal was much more likely to be dropped.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I enjoy the Icelandic system which produced a president called Vigdis Finnbogadottir, in contrast to all those Nordic -sons.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, the Icelandic system is particularly interesting. Other forms of words have to be found for "going to visit the Sales", and telephone directories (remember them?) are tricky.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So what's double octuple?
.............. or even double double octuple?
You can't just double-barrell surnames endlessly. There has to be a convention perhaps?

Trouble is, it's sexist which is a bit non-pc these days.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:You can't just double-barrell surnames endlessly. There has to be a convention perhaps?

Jdsk wrote:The second (Spanish) family name typically only lasts for one generation. Historically the maternal was much more likely to be dropped.

Jonathan

PS: Of course there isn't a single uniform system within Spain, let alone all countries which were once ruled by Spain.
Last edited by Jdsk on 29 Aug 2020, 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote:Yes, the Icelandic system is particularly interesting. Other forms of words have to be found for "going to visit the Sales", and telephone directories (remember them?) are tricky.

Jonathan

When dealing with the VAT man I was asked my name, in addition to the name of my business.
"Michael Sales"
"No, your name."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote:When dealing with the VAT man I was asked my name, in addition to the name of my business.
"Michael Sales"
"No, your name."

: - )

See also the Indian family name "Engineer".

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Of course the kids get the double barrelled names, adults keep their own. Then at school they often get their surnames shortened to the initials of their double barrelled names.

If there are two kids the suffixes 'major' and 'minor' are added
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I once heard of a triple barrelled surname. A double barreled married a single surname and produced a triple barrelled child? I think parents would drop a few names if things started getting a bit too long.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:Generally, when people marry, the wife takes the surname of the husband.
Children take the same surname too.
Been like that for hundreds of years and wives loose their names.
If the roles were reversed, and the husband took the wife's surname, the same thing would happen.

Is there a non-gender solution to this?
Are surnames pointless?

First of all, it doesn't go that way everywhere. In Italy, for example, the woman keeps her surname. Children generally get their father's surname, but not always. In Spain, girls generally take their mother's names, and boys, their fathers. Some of the gentry, when they marry, take the name associated with the highest status.

Historically, families with wealth enough to bother about such things would sometimes negotiate a 'named' child to inherit a particular estate or something.

I didn't take my husband's name when we married. And we followed the Spanish custom. Mini V has my surname and Litttlest has Mr. V's.

In France, people cannot any name other than what is on their birth certificate for any legal purposes. Though couples often use the same suname for social purposes. In Greece, it is illegal for women to change their name after/because of marriage.

I know a couple who, when they got married, put all of their grandparents & great-grandparents surnames in a hat & drew one at random, then both changed their names.

I don't think surnnames are pointless, but it probably isn't important that they are family names.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom