Three new food stores, why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Two new food stores, why?

Postby Tangled Metal » 16 Sep 2020, 1:28pm

Why? To annoy tbe better off, middle aged/ elderly better off so they go back to their real shopping home, waitrose, and leave the cheaper shops to those who have no choice but to use them. Honestly it's hard enough to make ends meet when toy get to the cheap shop to find something sold out to all three cheap rich buggers who really only came in because they read that cheap shop were selling really rather good cycling lights at a cheap price that are a clone of expensive Moon brand lights.

Afterall, it's usually only the older, middle class crowd that really moans about having to learn where everything is again after change. They don't like change. Very conservative I reckon!!! :lol:

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 16 Sep 2020, 10:47pm

Sainsburys put in planning application to relocate from Braintree town centre to a disused industrial estate on the edge of town, the council refused on the grounds that they didn't want any more retail migrating from the town centre.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

RickH

Postby RickH » 17 Sep 2020, 1:09pm

pwa wrote:I think we all get a bit tired of stores altering their layouts. My nearest Tesco seems to like relocating the red lentils every so often.

I used to shop regularly at our local Tesco. I disliked the place but only carried on as I could do the family shop there easily because I knew where things were.

Then they rearranged the store and I never went back! We did a big weekly family food shop there but I can't have been in the premise more than a couple of times in probably 15 years or more. And that will have been just because I was looking for a single specific (but almost certainly inexpensive) item that I hadn't found elsewhere.

We mostly use Aldi, the Co-Op & local small shops. We just make occasional forays to the big Asda & Sainsburys when we can't find something locally.

Cyril Haearn

Re: Three new food stores, why?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 17 Sep 2020, 1:22pm

The food stores think they can do better by rearranging, they do not care about our mental health
We have to eat anyway
Suppliers bribe the retailers with cash, to get better positions for their products

Upgraded the thread title, another store wants to upgrade (there are four different ones near me) :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 17 Sep 2020, 1:22pm

the council refused on the grounds that they didn't want any more retail migrating from the town centre.
These super-large organisations have the resources to chip away at councils and will simply re-submit the application, with changes made that are acceptable to themselves, until the council finally gives in.
Recent example of local Lidl where permission had been denied repeatedly (for I know not what reasons...) which finally went ahead after they agreed to put a car charger in one corner of the car park.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

mumbojumbo

Re: Three new food stores, why?

Postby mumbojumbo » 17 Sep 2020, 2:45pm

Many supermarket chains atually challenge applications by rivals-rather sickening and a form of restrictive practice which blunts competition.Most shoppers,being antipathetic to excercise and carrying bags support the new shops,especially if there is parking.