Ghost fishing threads.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Ghost fishing threads.

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Sep 2020, 9:45am

My own feeling is that thread resurrection for its own sake is a lot bigger irritation than wind-up one-time posters.

There are various genuine reasons to restart an old thread such as an update on whether solutions offered have worked, somebody needing advice on a variation of something previously discussed or a problem rearing its ugly head again. In those cases, it's often better than starting a new thread ignoring all the previous stuff.

Resurrection for its own sake comes across to me as trolling under the guise of feigned innocence.

I don't know how others react but if a first-time poster has a complicated story involving a crash or similar, my instinct is to hold off until they engage with other members. The obvious risk is that that sort of caution may deny them prompt advice if others feel the same way.

Lakelander

Postby Lakelander » 5 Sep 2020, 10:15am

Maybe the one-posters forget to check back as the “your post will go public once checked by a moderator” may go undetected by them?
How many posts does it take before this stops?
This will be post no.19 for me and I still have to wait for moderator approval.Sometimes I get a notification to confirm it’s approved,sometimes I don’t!
It’s quite annoying!

DevonDamo

Postby DevonDamo » 5 Sep 2020, 1:07pm

Lakelander wrote:Maybe the one-posters forget to check back as the “your post will go public once checked by a moderator” may go undetected by them?
This will be post no.19 for me and I still have to wait for moderator approval.Sometimes I get a notification to confirm it’s approved,sometimes I don’t!
It’s quite annoying!

That's a good point and i hadn't realised the forum had this restriction. Does it apply to any post you make or only new threads you're trying to start?

Lakelander

Postby Lakelander » 5 Sep 2020, 8:31pm

DevonDamo wrote:
Lakelander wrote:Maybe the one-posters forget to check back as the “your post will go public once checked by a moderator” may go undetected by them?
It’s quite annoying!

That's a good point and i hadn't realised the forum had this restriction. Does it apply to any post you make or only new threads you're trying to start?

Any post!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Sep 2020, 8:43pm

It’s quite annoying!
New posters once approved, get an email to say so.

If you have any issues, contact the moderators. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

Lakelander

Postby Lakelander » 5 Sep 2020, 9:02pm

Mick F wrote:
It’s quite annoying!
New posters once approved, get an email to say so.

If you have any issues, contact the moderators. :wink:

No issues as such.Just curious how many posts it takes before I no longer need moderator approval for every post!
*edit*
Question answered!