How well do you know the road?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: How well do you know the road?

Post by Jdsk »

offroader wrote:Plus I don't understand the Dutch reach fascination. In my car it leaves me looking predominantly straight out of the side window at cyclists who will be gone by the time the door opens. Rear vision is 90% obscured by B and C pillars

The Dutch reach is a whole series of moves, not a single view.

Recently discussed here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139662&hilit=dutch+reach&start=60#p1514872

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I only scored six because I misunderstood one of the questions that something easy to do as like already been suggested the diagrams aren't always exactly very clear.
It's pretty obvious that we don't agree with in general two the options.
As per usual clear as mud probably dreamed up by someone sitting at the desk in some office or a job given to a minion.
on a very wide road unlikely to be in the middle are you, on a singletrack lane yes almost certainly in the middle, but always take the corners Hugging left side, it's become very obvious to me that many cyclists today also drive cars, judging by the amount of cyclists coming round blind corners on the wrong side.
Riding too far from the kerb means one thing, Very likely that some drivers will make an attempt to overtake on the inside !
If you consider how bad drivers are today and their lack of understanding in common sense safety for all, then it's unlikely any real changes will have any effect in our lifetime.
I might stop but I would never wave pedestrian across the road.
If you stop nowadays on the road the first thing the car behind will automatically overtake you that's how it works doesn't it.
so stop after not before, or maybe better still if you Someone needs to get across and is making a mess of it then block them into the kerb And get out of the car.
So many things to drive a bus through isn't there.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I only scored six because I misunderstood one of the questions that something easy to do as like already been suggested the diagrams aren't always exactly very clear.
It's pretty obvious that we don't agree with in general two the options.
As per usual clear as mud probably dreamed up by someone sitting at the desk in some office or a job given to a minion.
on a very wide road unlikely to be in the middle are you, on a singletrack lane yes almost certainly in the middle, but always take the corners Hugging left side, it's become very obvious to me that many cyclists today also drive cars, judging by the amount of cyclists coming round blind corners on the wrong side.
Riding too far from the kerb means one thing, Very likely that some drivers will make an attempt to overtake on the inside !
If you consider how bad drivers are today and their lack of understanding in common sense safety for all, then it's unlikely any real changes will have any effect in our lifetime.
I might stop but I would never wave pedestrian across the road.
If you stop nowadays on the road the first thing the car behind will automatically overtake you that's how it works doesn't it.
so stop after not before, or maybe better still if you Someone needs to get across and is making a mess of it then block them into the kerb And get out of the car.
So many things to drive a bus through isn't there.

thats the one that got me. peds should find the nearest crossing or wait until the road is clear :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:thats the one that got me. peds should find the nearest crossing or wait until the road is clear :roll:

Technically, walkers have priority over all else except wild animals, don't they? They've just been bullied off the roads by growling threats of death from motorists.

I don't think it's good to call walkers "peds".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.