Vinyl -> digital

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Vinyl -> digital

Postby mercalia » 8 Sep 2020, 11:38am

al_yrpal wrote:As the Dad of a musician, modern musicians love vinyls. When new albums are released there will be a vinyl with nice artwork and sleeve notes. A few thousand of them and a few hundred signed copies. Sales of vinyls alongside tees and memorabilia at gigs and festivals. Fans love and treasure them, love the sound of them and extra income in these days of rip off Spotify, Apple and Amazon free streaming, the only other income source being appearances.
Apart from that many of us love the warm sound of vinyl.
If you merely use Spotify etc to enjoy music from artists you really love be ashamed. Remember the less popular ones are powerless and exploited and particularly struggling at the moment

Al

well you have a poor record player/cartridge/phonostage. I have a few copies of recordings on both LP and cd and they both sound the same ( classical ) which is how it should be. I think I read some where sometimes pop music is mastered differently for LP and cd

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Sep 2020, 2:33pm

mercalia wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:As the Dad of a musician, modern musicians love vinyls. When new albums are released there will be a vinyl with nice artwork and sleeve notes. A few thousand of them and a few hundred signed copies. Sales of vinyls alongside tees and memorabilia at gigs and festivals. Fans love and treasure them, love the sound of them and extra income in these days of rip off Spotify, Apple and Amazon free streaming, the only other income source being appearances.
If you merely use Spotify etc to enjoy music from artists you really love be ashamed. Remember the less popular ones are powerless and exploited and particularly struggling at the moment

Al

well you have a poor record player/cartridge/phonostage. I have a few copies of recordings on both LP and cd and they both sound the same ( classical ) which is how it should be. I think I read some where sometimes pop music is mastered differently for LP and cd

Well, its a Thorens deck from the 80s, through a Denon AVR X2400 amp new enough to sport HEOS, out through Denon DM601s, and I am quite happy with that. You are not one of those very boring Hi Fi snobs are you? :lol: Or possibly you need your ears syringed?

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 8 Sep 2020, 2:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Sep 2020, 2:38pm

I have been to a couple of my daughters smaller gigs in Briztle. One on the Thekla, a very cool (but earsplitting) venue and then at the Fleece in the last few years.
As for Damon, my daughters band supported Blur on a US tour back in the 90s.
We all have something in common no matter how far we might appear to differ. Personally I cannot stand folk who cant tolerate others point of views, religions or activities. I am a very tolerant person. Vive la difference!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Sep 2020, 4:03pm

al_yrpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Al

Well, its a Thorens deck from the 80s, through a Denon AVR X2400 amp new enough to sport HEOS, out through Denon DM601s, and I am quite happy with that. You are not one of those very boring Hi Fi snobs are you? :lol: Or possibly you need your ears syringed?

Al

:lol: :lol: just saying the so called warmth of vinyl is a falsehood. its what ever bits you are playing them on that accounts for the so called warmth and is not whats on the LP.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Sep 2020, 4:09pm

al_yrpal wrote:One on the Thekla, a very cool (but earsplitting) venue
There's a great vid. of the Thekla story on YT here, Al - it's amazing it ever got going! From a very vague dream, to a Brizl institution!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Sep 2020, 4:23pm

mercalia wrote:
:lol: :lol: just saying the so called warmth of vinyl is a falsehood. its what ever bits you are playing them on that accounts for the so called warmth and is not whats on the LP.

As I mentioned I am a very tolerant person. I can play CD, a stream of the same piece and a vinyl simultaneously through the same amp and switch instantly between them. The mp3 stream is thin, the CD is fuller but cold and the vinyl is warm. You obviously cant do that on your Dansette. I know you wont be told but there, I said it anyway... :lol: :lol:

Al

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Sep 2020, 4:29pm

Guys, peeeer-leeeese don't ruin this thread by regurgitating that old, dull, worn and ultimately pointless digital-versus-analogue chestnut again. It's been done to death ad infinitum - there really isn't anything new to add to it...
ttfn, Simon in Easton

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Sep 2020, 4:33pm

simonineaston wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:One on the Thekla, a very cool (but earsplitting) venue
There's a great vid. of the Thekla story on YT here, Al - it's amazing it ever got going! From a very vague dream, to a Brizl institution!

Crikey! Quite a story, Thekla's been going a long time. It was just an empty hull space packed with about 400 folks when my daughter played there in her earsplitting supergroup. I didnt realise it had been used for all those other activities. I installed myself in the sound guy's booth to avoid the crush.

Sorry to have a different POV but there its is... All recording media, studios and venues distort sounds IME, the O2 is utter crap. Nothing wrong with appeciating the sound of a vinyl :D

Al

Si

Postby Si » 8 Sep 2020, 5:00pm

Well, I've nothing against vinyl apart from I can't play it in the car, which is really the only time I get to listen to my music on a regular basis, and I don't have room in the house to set up my record player, amp, speakers, etc, and having to get up and change the record so often is a pain, etc etc

I will try fiddling with audacity as instructed.

Then it's moving onto doing cassette tapes. Strangely enough someone told me they were coming back in. Why? Only reason you had them was so you could put your tape recorder next to the TV and record TotPs every Thursday. And so that you could play them in the car.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Sep 2020, 5:13pm

mini disc next?

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Sep 2020, 5:14pm

they were coming back in. Why?
Lord alone knows... every dog has its day - but twice??
ttfn, Simon in Easton

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Sep 2020, 5:23pm

Had an 8 track in my Triumph Stag. Went with the vee 8 !

Al

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Sep 2020, 5:29pm

mercalia wrote:mini disc next?

Minidisc was, and is, brilliant - a much under-appreciated technology.

The compression wasn't perfect, but having compact, swappable media which was inherently protected from the dirt and scratches that kill ads (eventually)....

Cassettes are ~5-6 bits deep (since tape hiss is mathematically identical to gaussian dither), up to 9 at the very best for professionally mastered tapes.

Vinyl probably gets to about 12 bits deep.

The "warmth" of vinyl is partly acoustic distortion (albeit pleasing distortion) and partly psychosomatic.

I *do* get the attraction of physical media (particularly in the associated additional product), but they genuinely don't have an acoustic advantage over a bitstream, even a relatively small bitstream.

Si - post a small clip of the recording, we may be able to identify common sources of noise from that. (I would have said that I will, but since losing my hearing I'm not going to stake my ears on it).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 8 Sep 2020, 7:35pm

simonineaston wrote:Guys, peeeer-leeeese don't ruin this thread by regurgitating that old, dull, worn and ultimately pointless digital-versus-analogue chestnut again. It's been done to death ad infinitum - there really isn't anything new to add to it...

Yes, lets move on. Now film photography or digital?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Sep 2020, 9:13pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:mini disc next?

Minidisc was, and is, brilliant - a much under-appreciated technology.

The compression wasn't perfect, but having compact, swappable media which was inherently protected from the dirt and scratches that kill ads (eventually)....

Cassettes are ~5-6 bits deep (since tape hiss is mathematically identical to gaussian dither), up to 9 at the very best for professionally mastered tapes.

Vinyl probably gets to about 12 bits deep.

The "warmth" of vinyl is partly acoustic distortion (albeit pleasing distortion) and partly psychosomatic.

I *do* get the attraction of physical media (particularly in the associated additional product), but they genuinely don't have an acoustic advantage over a bitstream, even a relatively small bitstream.

Si - post a small clip of the recording, we may be able to identify common sources of noise from that. (I would have said that I will, but since losing my hearing I'm not going to stake my ears on it).

well my hifi system is a counterexample to that idea since on identical recordings on cd and LP they sound the same - the so called warmth isnt inevitable, some people must be deliberatley or just by bad luck choosing gear that distorts whats on the LP