Vinyl -> digital

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Vinyl -> digital

Postby Cowsham » 13 Sep 2020, 7:27pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Really? TRS or XLR?
That's certainly not common... What do you use to unbalance them before your amplifier?

You don't have to have an xlr connection to have a balanced output -- by it's very nature a stylus has a balanced output mine has phono out but the grounds are not connected with themselves or the ground of the machine. Then brought to the amp via shielded twisted pair per side. The -"unbalancing " as you put it is done in the pre amp. This helps eliminate crosstalk and interference signals as they hit the matching tx in the pre amp.

I'd suggest that's a relatively rare setup, I've never seen any setup use twisted pair for their RCA - RCA phono connections.
I'm also far more used to fully screened and balanced audio (i.e. the professional end of balanced audio - most turntables and amp inputs I've seen/used have been grounded at at least one end...

The turntable is grounded but the signals leaving it aren't . Only the braid is grounded to the turntable and pre amp.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 14 Sep 2020, 8:42am

I thought you only had a twisted pair there?

Now it’s a shielded twisted pair... what are all the connections?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 14 Sep 2020, 9:23pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:I thought you only had a twisted pair there?

Now it’s a shielded twisted pair... what are all the connections?

At which point did you think that?