Daily Fail attacks cycling not idiot car parking!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Daily Fail attacks cycling not idiot car parking!!!

Post by Tangled Metal »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8713579/amp/Fury-FIRE-ENGINE-gets-stuck-new-cycle-lane-Covid-friendly-traffic-measures.html

If the car hadn't been stupidly parked there there would be no issue. Anyone care to put that view across on their comments? :lol:

Seriously attack the thing that's wrong not make up an issue with cycling. Anyone think a car that parks so as to block the road should just be barged out of the way by the fire engine?
peetee

Re: Daily Fail attacks cycling not idiot car parking!!!

Post by peetee »

It looks more like the fire engine has not, or could not swung wide enough to clear the planter and is passing skew through the gap. The white car is not illegally parked, it’s well within the marked bay. Furthermore, motor traffic must be able to approach from the other end of the road for the vehicle restriction sign to be in place. If the fire engine driver did not approach from that end, why not? I’d guess that as it wasn’t an emergency call (person was locked out of their home!) they decided it wasn’t worth repositioning the appliance and left it there. If there is a story here at all I would say it should centre around the ‘shocking, potentially life-threatening lack of coordination between councils and emergency services staff (many of whom are cyclists 8) ) over road layout changes.‘
Last edited by peetee on 10 Sep 2020, 3:27pm, edited 6 times in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I saw this and thought exactly the same thing, why have an issue with the cycle lane, it couldn't get past because someone had parked badly.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, From the poor photo in the web story it is hard to tell whether or not the car was legally parked?
Previous poster has stated that it was within the parking box? But even that may not tell the full story, as I know o parking boxes create by councils which break the law by being less than 10 yards from a junction?
In the 1950's my pop got knocked up by a policeman at 3 am for doing so? We lived in a cul de sac!
Had it been a Green Goddess or a Commer 555 fire engine it would have got through with ease, but these days even such appliances suffer from obesity :lol: :lol: :lol: . MM
RickH

Post by RickH »

It seems the car was parked legally & properly in a parking space.

The fire engine wasn't stuck, the gap was just a bit tight.

The fire service approve of the low traffic scheme.

And the planter was moved slightly the next day to make things a bit easier if/when a fire engine needs to get through again.

But why let the facts get in the way of a story!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

RickH wrote:But why let the facts get in the way of a story!
Quite! :roll:
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Altogether now...

[youtube]5eBT6OSr1TI[/youtube]

Jonathan
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The emergency was a resident locked out of their home which is mentioned in the essay but much further down under the click bait headlines.