Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Post by thirdcrank »

I speak as a rule follower. Before anybody starts planning for Crimbo, the current rules take some following. AIUI, today, as a resident of Leeds, the max-6 thing doesn't start till tomorrow. This afternoon, we are going out for a birthday celebration, just over the border into Bradford. (In spite of rumours to the contrary, no visa required.) The venue is in BD4 where residents have been subject to extra rules for a while, although our destination is in a small village, quite different from most of BD4. The max-6 is understandably being applied there, even though it seems to be based on place of residence, rather than actual location. I may have got this wrong and I'm always pleased to be put right, but if I am wrong, there will be plenty of others confused apart from me.

Point of information: annual eyesight check-up not due till early November.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Other opinions are available ..

BOB120920.jpg
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

landsurfer wrote:And when Boris tells you to sacrifice your first born child to save us from C-19, after all thats what the science says, you sheeple will do it ..... No doubt your signing up as Covid Marshalls as i type ....
The same "science" can be interpreted quite differently and essentially says "this is not unusual and we should continue as normal". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvFhIF ... vorCummins Even though I tend to agree with that I will still broadly follow government instructions. Anybody remember the pandemic of 1968? Nothing to remember for most of us because life continued with no shutdowns or school closures etc.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The death rate from the Hong Kong flu was lower than for other 20th-century pandemics. The disease was allowed to spread through the population without restrictions on economic activity until a vaccine became available four months after it had started.
The H3N2 virus returned during the following 1969/70 flu season, which resulted in a second, deadlier wave of deaths in Europe, Japan, and Australia.

So we learn the lesson and don't want a worse second wave... I'm not quite sure why you think this is a good example...

We've already had the lower end of that pandemic's estimated entire death toll with confirmed deaths, and most of the world AFAIK isn't truly at second wave yet.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:I speak as a rule follower. Before anybody starts planning for Crimbo, the current rules take some following. AIUI, today, as a resident of Leeds, the max-6 thing doesn't start till tomorrow. This afternoon, we are going out for a birthday celebration, just over the border into Bradford. (In spite of rumours to the contrary, no visa required.) The venue is in BD4 where residents have been subject to extra rules for a while, although our destination is in a small village, quite different from most of BD4. The max-6 is understandably being applied there, even though it seems to be based on place of residence, rather than actual location. I may have got this wrong and I'm always pleased to be put right, but if I am wrong, there will be plenty of others confused apart from me.

Point of information: annual eyesight check-up not due till early November.

Eh? Am I reading that correctly - there are rumours of a visa needed to enter Bradford?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Put yourself it the village of Eyam back in the days of the plague? Just try and envisage the outcome if everyone chose to say stuff you when asked to try and avoid perpetuating the existence of the threat to our very existence?
We'e not being asked to cut ourselves off into certain death, just to participate in a collective action to eradicate this virus. Cut out th self, self, self attitude! Otherwise some families will find themselves taking delivery of a less than welcome kind of Christmas Box! Let's put a lid on the virus instead of the coffin. MM

The death rate from C19 is 3.5%. If everyone in the UK caught it about 2 million would die. These would mostly be elderly people and/or those suffering chronic illnesses costing a lot to treat. I could imagine someone like Dominic Cummings thinking it would be beneficial to the nation by solving the pension shortfall, long term elderly care problem, NHS funding crisis, hospital bed shortage etc etc. What Cummings thinks today Johnson thinks tomorrow.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I'm thinking it could be tho best xmas ever with no family friends or neighbours to visit or entertain - just me and the wife.

+ lots of miles on the bike and lots of beer in front of the fire. I'm looking forward to it already :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Lessee... Mary, Joseph, Baby, Caspar, Melchior, Balthazar. That's it, ox & ass have to get out.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Audax67 wrote:Lessee... Mary, Joseph, Baby, Caspar, Melchior, Balthazar. That's it, ox & ass have to get out.

David, Julie .. Connor, Molly, Ella, Riley ...... we'll have to shoot Digby .... (Westie) ...

But seriously .... that means none of the children's mums can visit on Christmas day .... :(
Be more Mike.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Doesn't bother me for the last three Christmases I have spent it by myself
Syd

Post by Syd »

landsurfer wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Lessee... Mary, Joseph, Baby, Caspar, Melchior, Balthazar. That's it, ox & ass have to get out.

David, Julie .. Connor, Molly, Ella, Riley ...... we'll have to shoot Digby .... (Westie) ...

But seriously .... that means none of the children's mums can visit on Christmas day .... :(

Aww diddums.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

It's my Grandfathers birthday 2 weeks before Christmas and the big family party planned has been shelved now. He was born in 1920.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

How old will he be>
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[quote="Syd"
Aww diddums.[/quote]

You don't quite get it Syd, do you, ... it has no impact on David and Julie, we're the carers .... it's the children that get harmed yet again ................

Lets just keep on hurting children .... that about it ?
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

landsurfer wrote:[quote="Syd"
Aww diddums.

You don't quite get it Syd, do you, ... it has no impact on David and Julie, we're the carers .... it's the children that get harmed yet again ................

Lets just keep on hurting children .... that about it ?[/quote]

It’ll harm them a lot less than various deaths in the family would - so yes. Keep “harming” the kids by restricting visits.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.