Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:Every one of you that clapped for the NHS ... did you clap for the men and women working in ALDI ? ...

No you didn't

Spot on! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Syd wrote:Glad to hear it.

Been hearing horror stories from others. Worst example was someone, in a public facing role, who phoned his boss to say he has Covid symptoms and was isolating. He was told to get the F into work or he was sacked.

To be honest we've been doing shielding / social distancing at our company for years, well over 10 years ...

If you've got a cold or flu ....
Don't Come To Work !!

You'll get your full pay just don't give it to the rest of us ....... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

landsurfer wrote:Every one of you that clapped for the NHS ... did you clap for the men and women working in ALDI ? ...

No you didn't ...

I did.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Syd wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Syd wrote:There are a great deal more essential workers in the UK that the ‘obvious’ and I for one was embarrassed that the NHS were singled out in the way they were on Thursday evenings.

I hope you’re employer is complying with their obligations to keep you and your colleagues safe.

They've done a great job Syd .... not a single case within the business or out of it for any member of staff or their immediate families.
Simple stuff, individual vehicles for the team of fitters, single hotel rooms instead of sharing, an open plan office that allows separation but still allows fun and giggles in the workplace. And no one furloughed ....

Glad to hear it.

Been hearing horror stories from others. Worst example was someone, in a public facing role, who phoned his boss to say he has Covid symptoms and was isolating. He was told to get the F into work or he was sacked.

Time he worked to someone else. When I had symptoms I told work immediately and was told not to come into work until I had a negative test result which thankfully I got. I'm always amazed at the difference in how employees are treated from one workplace to another.
I am here. Where are you?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Unfortunately, in my work place, as in many others, conditions are pretty cramped and because we do "essential" work we have been at work throughout the crisis, unable to socially distance in any meaningful way. There has been no alternative really. We just have to risk it because people need us to continue what we do. Some of my colleagues are near retirement age and not all of them are well at the best of times. But they continue to work. Okay, masks are worn but that has limited protective value. It is simply not true that all essential jobs can be made safe through protective measures. Some are, and will remain, risky.

And unlike Landsurfer I have experienced gratitude from many members of the public. People do appreciate the risk we take to provide a service. But I am just glad I'm not one of the poor sods whose financial security has gone. I actually feel lucky.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Are you saying you work out there's 64,000 Covid deaths in UK?

Sounds about right.

And how do you know?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Question regarding the law.

Where can I see the letter of the law regarding the six people rule.

I don't mean an interpretation or a commentary on it or examples of it, but the Letter of the Law, written in Real Legal Language.
It's the law, so it must be laid down somewhere.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Sounds about right.

And how do you know?

Despite the fact the quote has been misattributed...

Yes - because the number of deaths we would expect, based on the previous 5 years data, is about 65k lower than the number of deaths we did record.

That’s what excess deaths means - this particular strain of COVID is undoubtedly the cause where proximate or otherwise.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Question regarding the law.

Where can I see the letter of the law regarding the six people rule.

I don't mean an interpretation or a commentary on it or examples of it, but the Letter of the Law, written in Real Legal Language.
It's the law, so it must be laid down somewhere.

Found it.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/684
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's the set from 3 July.

You need those from 14 September:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (England) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2020
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/986/made

Jonathan

PS: Hale and Brady on why it would be better if these went through Parliament:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/20/parliament-surrendered-role-over-covid-emergency-laws-says-lady-hale
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Next question.

If a group of six meet another group of six, how far apart must the two groups be apart?

(note I didn't use the word "should")
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just pass by, like ships in the night (pre radar and abundant electrical lighting on board ;p)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Despite the fact the quote has been misattributed...

Yes - because the number of deaths we would expect, based on the previous 5 years data, is about 65k lower than the number of deaths we did record.

Interesting.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:If a group of six meet another group of six, how far apart must the two groups be apart?

In *England? TTBOMK any separation distance is only guidance, not law. I think that this is true in the areas with additional local restrictions, but I'm not sure.

Jonathan

* Including the Scilly Isles.