Shexit and Goodbye Scotland

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Shexit and Goodbye Scotland

Postby mercalia » 11 Sep 2020, 2:25pm

I dont know if you remember at the the time of the Scotish ref the Shetland Isles didnt want to go along with Sturgeon and the SNP and wanted to remain part of the UK

Well its now raising its head again

Now it's SHEXIT! The Shetland Islands ( may) vote to pursue independence from Scotland - so can Nicola Sturgeon turn them down without torpedoing her own bid for referendum?

Council members argued decision-making had become increasingly centralised
They said public funding for the islands had been cut under SNP Government
Voted in favour of exploring options of 'financial and political self-determination'

sounds familiar. It seems they want to become a crown dependency like Jersey etc. Why is this important? They have most of Scotlands oil in their back yard, which Scotland would lose and thus Sturgeons calculations for Independance become junk. All rather funny really, The Shetland Isles save the Union?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8720651/Shetland-Islands-councillors-overwhelmingly-vote-probe-independence-Scotland.html

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Shexit and Goodbye Scotland

Postby Mick F » 11 Sep 2020, 2:57pm

I've discussed the Shetland Isles on here before.
When we lived in Scotland in the 70's, they had a referendum for independence and many Shetlanders refused to vote because they didn't consider themselves Scottish.

Seems like this issue hasn't died.

Good.

BTW, can't see the link because I refuse to disable my adblocker.
Mick F. Cornwall

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 11 Sep 2020, 3:02pm

Yet another DailyFail link. What’s wrong with you people :lol:
I won’t click on it but let’s just remember.
Oil that thing the yoons tell us is running on vapour.
Shetland isles who I imagine see themselves more Norse than a Londoner.
Shetland Isles who voted 56.5 % to remain in EU
Assumption that Scotland has no natural resources other than oil.

Surely it’s more of a glimmer of hope for yoons and a bargaining chip for the Shetlands.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 11 Sep 2020, 3:24pm

Paulatic wrote:Shetland Isles who voted 56.5 % to remain in EU

Thanks, that saved me looking it up.

Jonathan

PS: Sturgeon wasn't leader of the SNP at the time of the independence referendum.

Syd

Postby Syd » 11 Sep 2020, 3:50pm

Jdsk wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Shetland Isles who voted 56.5 % to remain in EU

Thanks, that saved me looking it up.

Jonathan

PS: Sturgeon wasn't leader of the SNP at the time of the independence referendum.

Scotland as a whole voted 62% to remain in the Brexit vote.

What does that say about Shetland?

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 11 Sep 2020, 4:42pm

mercalia wrote:I. Why is this important? They have most of Scotlands oil in their back yard, which Scotland would lose and thus Sturgeons calculations for Independance become junk. All rather funny really, The Shetland Isles save the Union?

Scotland would fare well enough without Shetland's geographic share of oil reserves.
Oil revenues amount to about 2% of Scotland's total revenue, and Shetland's share of this 2% might be around 70%.

Shetland does feel like a different country in many ways when you visit it.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Sep 2020, 5:08pm

rualexander wrote:
mercalia wrote:I. Why is this important? They have most of Scotlands oil in their back yard, which Scotland would lose and thus Sturgeons calculations for Independance become junk. All rather funny really, The Shetland Isles save the Union?

Scotland would fare well enough without Shetland's geographic share of oil reserves.
Oil revenues amount to about 2% of Scotland's total revenue, and Shetland's share of this 2% might be around 70%.

in 2018 the economy of scotland was about £150b and oil was about £20b

https://www.gov.scot/news/oil-and-gas-production-statistics-2017-18/

so more than 1%. I read that re the whole of the UK it is about 2%

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 12 Sep 2020, 10:46am

mercalia wrote:in 2018 the economy of scotland was about £150b and oil was about £20b

That £20bn is sales revenue, the government's tax revenue on that is much lower.

2018 figures are total public sector revenue £59.6bn, oil revenue £1.3bn, so about 2%.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... on-1426597

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 12 Sep 2020, 1:30pm

thanks for the clarification. DO you know what proportion of its income is derived from contributions from the broader UK?

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 12 Sep 2020, 2:23pm

rualexander wrote:

That's a lot of revenue for Shetland then.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 12 Sep 2020, 2:26pm

mercalia wrote:
rualexander wrote:

in 2018 the economy of scotland was about £150b and oil was about £20b

That's still a lot of revenue for Shetland.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 13 Sep 2020, 8:54pm

In a side note what is the significance of a higher proportion of Scottish economy than the proportion of Scottish revenue? AFAIK that's effectively saying that the oil industry is paying Scottish state a lower rate of tax revenues than other sectors. 13% of economy but only 2% of state tax revenues!! Something doesn't sound right there.

On another matter, if Scotland does vote to leave the Union but Shetlands vote to stay in the Union does sturgeon have any moral position to stop a referendum in Shetland about them leaving Scotland? Afterall sturgeon is using a similar argument about the Brexit vote to argue Scotland should get a leave referendum on the Union.

It's all political shanigans assuming to get more control for the Shetlanders. Afterall like Scots aren't like English, Shetlanders aren't like Scottish. Or so I've heard. All look human enough to me to be considered the same.