Hull cycle ways not being used!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Hull cycle ways not being used!

Postby Tangled Metal » 14 Sep 2020, 10:18am

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/cyclists-not-using-cycle-lanes-4511439.amp

Anyone know if there's a good reason for not using these green cycle lanes? Anyone from up that way? I suspect they're cyclist bashing again but don't know for sure.

drossall

Re: Hull cycle ways not being used!

Postby drossall » 14 Sep 2020, 6:22pm

Cyclists are just people who are on bikes at the current moment. Most of them walk and drive as well. It's unlikely that they behave differently then.

Build a motorway that starts and stops in weird places that aren't where people are, or where people want to go, and they won't use it. Build one that's less convenient than the nearby A road, and they won't use it either. Or a motorway that's blocked randomly, or feels more dangerous, or dumps motorists in dangerous places that they can't easily get out of, or ...

It's hard to tell from those photos but, if you assume that cyclists are rational people making rational route choices, in the same way as they do when they are using other transport modes, you'll find the reason. If you make the inexplicable assumption that cyclists will magically appear and ride on any cycle route, however incomplete, dangerous, or irrelevant to typical journeys, you won't.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 14 Sep 2020, 9:04pm

I guess I'm asking if anyone actually goes that way and know whether the planners are rational for putting them there or not. Either cyclisti are rational in avoiding them for a valid reason and the planners weren't rational in locating them there. Or the cyclists are being unrational in not using suitably designed infrastructure.

I don't think it's so simple as saying cyclists are rational so they're right in avoiding them. It's a COVID cycle route as in a route put in because of increased cycle traffic through that way AFAIK. Whilst cycling infrastructure is often rubbish round here COVID cycling infrastructure is basically where cyclists ride. Not great but stupid thin cones the outside of reddish-pink road painted cycle lanes to emphasise it's a cycle lane. There's planters closing off a road leading to it as well. Not checked that out as my cycle route isn't near it but car drive route is.

I'd be interested to hear from any Hull based forum members who might be able to shed more light on this story and it's often ignored COVID cycling provisions.

mjr

Postby mjr » 14 Sep 2020, 9:44pm

Tangled Metal wrote:https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/cyclists-not-using-cycle-lanes-4511439.amp

Anyone know if there's a good reason for not using these green cycle lanes? Anyone from up that way? I suspect they're cyclist bashing again but don't know for sure.

Not been there in years but the cycle lanes in the newspaper videos look like an unfinished building site and most of those in the sleb's videos appear to be riding contraflow, presumably doing pavement riding to avoid two right turns across that dual carriageway. It's not legal but isn't it obvious why they do it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.