Breaking International Law

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Breaking International Law

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Remind me, which constituency elected Lord Frost.

What! You mean he’s an unelected bureaucrat? I thought we’d dumped them.

Nicola Sturgeon has the unelected Peter Murrell.

Is Murrell a public representative or servant or officer? Or only a party official?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote:

Nicola Sturgeon has the unelected Peter Murrell. Ditching him might cause a few ructions in the Sturgeon household... :wink:

Murrell is the CEO of the party. Quite different. He is not part of the legislature.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 4 Mar 2021, 9:39am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:

I'm in favour of Ministers not being MPs. That would open up the talent pool, help us develop some genuine accountability to Parliament, and reduce the conflict of interests around career prospects and the payroll vote.

But only with that added accountability: without that this sort of appointment is even worse than usual.

Jonathan

But today we have publicly appointed officials running supposedly arms length bodies who also take the party whip in the Upper House. The Executive should not be part of the legislature.

I have no real problem with a small number of ministers being in the HoL where there is some scrutiny. But i was being a little sarcastic since Frost negotiated the deal whereby the UK left a so-called unelected bureaucracy.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

I'm in favour of Ministers not being MPs. That would open up the talent pool, help us develop some genuine accountability to Parliament, and reduce the conflict of interests around career prospects and the payroll vote.

But only with that added accountability: without that this sort of appointment is even worse than usual.

But today we have publicly appointed officials running supposedly arms length bodies who also take the party whip in the Upper House. The Executive should not be part of the legislature.

Not sure about that "But"... aren't we agreeing?

: - )

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Butts often get in the way!
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The European Parliament declined on Thursday to set a date for its vote on the EU-UK trade deal in protest at what the European Union sees as Britain’s unilateral changes to Northern Irish Brexit arrangements."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-vote-idUSKBN2AW1NV

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Mar 2021, 8:54am And the Loyalist Communities Council joins in:
"Loyalist paramilitary organisations have told British prime minister Boris Johnson they are withdrawing support for Northern Ireland’s historic peace agreement."
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4500982
Jonathan Powell on what's happening and how to avoid it getting worse:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... grave-risk

It's utterly depressing. The children and many of the young people now rioting weren't born when the GFA was signed.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Truly sad. Their parents would grow up under conflict. These children have had their entire life in a time of peace.

Some politicians on both sides of the Irish Sea carry huge responsibility for what they have done to a community.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Mar 2021, 10:21pm
Jdsk wrote:"Following the UK government's statement today, Vice-President Šefčovič has expressed the EU's strong concerns over the UK's unilateral action, as this amounts to a violation of the relevant substantive provisions of the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland and the good faith obligation under the Withdrawal Agreement. This is the second time that the UK government is set to breach international law."
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... NT_21_1018

and the UK's response, includes:
"Lord Frost explained that the measures announced today, following official-level notification to the Commission earlier this week, were temporary technical steps, which largely continued measures already in place, to provide more time for businesses such as supermarkets and parcel operators to adapt to and implement the new requirements in the Protocol."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lord ... march-2021
After UK/Westminster behaviour over the last few years would you agree/sign a treaty with the UK? The Westminster incumbents don't seem to understand that an agreement does not mean you just unilaterally do what you want whenever you want (and you can bet they'd be up in arms in no time at-all were e.g. the EU to do the equivalent).
"Can we have another month before replying?"
https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/041 ... 02-brexit/

Jonathan
philg

Post by philg »

The UK and Ireland should broker a bilateral deal to replace the controversial Northern Ireland Protocol, a former senior Irish diplomat has claimed, as he accused Dublin of being too close to the EU.

Ray Bassett, who previously served as Ireland's ambassador to Canada, Jamaica and the Bahamas said he believed the new post-Brexit trading arrangements were fuelling “such a disillusionment” among unionists and should be overhauled.

Mr Bassett, who also served as joint secretary to the British-Irish intergovernmental conference, told The Telegraph's Planet Normal podcast, which you can listen to using the audio player above, that the implementation of the protocol had been "very heavy handed" and appeared to have "destroyed" good will in Northern Ireland.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

philg wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 9:44am
The UK and Ireland should broker a bilateral deal to replace the controversial Northern Ireland Protocol, a former senior Irish diplomat has claimed, as he accused Dublin of being too close to the EU.

Ray Bassett, who previously served as Ireland's ambassador to Canada, Jamaica and the Bahamas said he believed the new post-Brexit trading arrangements were fuelling “such a disillusionment” among unionists and should be overhauled.

Mr Bassett, who also served as joint secretary to the British-Irish intergovernmental conference, told The Telegraph's Planet Normal podcast, which you can listen to using the audio player above, that the implementation of the protocol had been "very heavy handed" and appeared to have "destroyed" good will in Northern Ireland.
Good analysis from Ray Bassett.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And the gunboats are on their way:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ity-supply

Jonathan