The Brexit thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Some are foolish enough to still maintain their view. That is idiot, ignoring the evidence all around as it unfolds daily.

Surveys show most still retain their original view.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 10.06.16.png

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/0i1hc1w10r/YG%20Trackers%20-%20EU%20Tracker%20Questions_W.pdf

Jonathan

PS: If you click the image it becomes easier to read.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Surveys show most still retain their original view.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 10.06.16.png
https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/0i1hc1w10r/YG%20Trackers%20-%20EU%20Tracker%20Questions_W.pdf

That doesn't appear to be a survey based on original view - i.e. nearly 13 million people didn't vote.

That's not to say people can't have a position now, but it doesn't reflect Leave voters changing their mind to Remain; it reflects people who didn't have an opinion, or were too uninterested or lazy to vote, having an opinion when directly asked. And they weren't interested enough to haul themselves to the polling stations last December.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I thought that it was an interesting summary of current opinion. What happened in 2016 is now matter of history.

We should be putting rather more effort into working out together what our country needs in the future. Starting with trade agreements.

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:We should be putting rather more effort into working out together what our country needs in the future. Starting with trade agreements.

Jonathan

I think we'll get a trade agreement, it just won't be a very good trade agreement.

The only thing this government have shown any aptitude for is shifting public money into private hands for no gain.
I suspect brexit will be more of the same.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:The only thing this government have shown any aptitude for is shifting public money into private hands for no gain.
I suspect brexit will be more of the same.

How to support the Good Law Project:
https://goodlawproject.org/membership/

Jonathan
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Whether you think Brexit is good or bad, I imagine we would speak with one voice if asked whether the nation is well prepared for next year...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't know a series that asks that, but here's one that's related:

WhatUKThinks_Poll_9469_20201016-2.jpeg

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/h ... y%2Bbadly#

And in addition to popular opinion sector after sector has described its own lack of preparedness. Of course one Minister has already blamed the wealth creators themselves for that and I'm expecting much more of the same.

Jonathan
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:Another £76+m on ferries for medicines. Why are they doing something which they know is so bad?

Apparently Brexit has cost more in a couple of years than the entire 40+ years of membership.

We're now seeing that the whole Sovereignty thing and taking back control was a complete myth. Johnson and his political mates just sell out to business mates and legislation is dictated by the US.

It is worse in some sectors.

Radiopharmaceuticals are used in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers.

Because they have short shelf lives and decay as well, the expected road transport delays have made air transport the viable option.

Of course with lead shielding and protection, these items are heavy and hence expensive. So there is a surcharge, and also changes to shipping.

We managed last year by changing appointments systems and matching capacity to availability.

However today we found out that Grant Shapps has apparently admitted that no-one has negotiated the air access to Europe, so at the moment there will be NO FLIGHTS to carry these products, threatening cancer diagnosis and treatments yet again
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:It's a funny thing but our government wants brexit at any cost. No economic hardship or jobs lost too great. But saving lives in a pandemic? Oh we must weigh up all the costs.

There is a common ground.... in both cases, the question is "How much can I and my acolytes and supporters pocket from this?"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:And in addition to popular opinion sector after sector has described its own lack of preparedness. Of course one Minister has already blamed the wealth creators themselves for that and I'm expecting much more of the same.

Today's letter from a large number of trade associations and professional bodies, in full:
https://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/articles/covid-hit-businesses-call-for-pragmatic-approach-to-secure-historic-uk-eu-agreement-cbi-trade-associations/

“Now is the time for historic political leadership. With compromise and tenacity, a deal can be done. Businesses call on leaders on both sides to find a route through.

“The clarity that comes with an ambitious deal will have an instant impact on firms’ efforts to prepare. It will help investment by removing the threat of tariffs and quotas. And it will catalyse confidence through enhanced customs cooperation while making a precious data agreement possible, vital for services industries which make up 80% of the UK economy. 

“Businesses are doing what they can to prepare for Brexit. But firms face a hat-trick of unprecedented challenges: rebuilding from the first wave of COVID-19, dealing with the second and uncertainty over the UK’s trading relationship with the EU.

“That’s why more than three quarters of UK firms say they need a deal, quickly.

“With each day that passes, business resilience is chipped away. A swift deal is the single most effective way to support recovery in communities across Europe.

“After four years of debate, there must be a resolution. 2021 can then be a year to rebuild, rather than regret.”

Experts, huh!

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

THIS caller is what sensible people are up against:- https://youtu.be/H8Bw1_yUphY
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:THIS caller is what sensible people are up against:- https://youtu.be/H8Bw1_yUphY

It could pass a script for the two Ronnie's.
Hilarious if it wasn't so awful.
After all this time the public are still believing the lies from this corrupt government. What will it take?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Some details ( and opinion ) of the latest deal the EU is offering apart from what we have been told and why it may not be good at all
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-boris-should-reject-this-brexit-deal?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CampaignMonitor_Editorial&utm_campaign=LNCH%20%2020201020%20%20Charles%20Stanley%20%20SM+CID_fb9bc0e156f4dfcbd2a7811991ada0f7

That I found interesting was the final comments about the need to unpick the withdrawal agreement.
Last edited by mercalia on 20 Oct 2020, 4:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's a paywalled article. Please could you tell us what it says?

Thanks

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote:That's a paywalled article. Please could you tell us what it says?

You must read the Spectator too much. I've just read it as one of two free articles as a guest...