The Brexit thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by PDQ Mobile »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, Just read that Minister Gove wants to bring in the requirement for a landing permit obtained before travel in order to arrive on Kent soil?
Sounds ok to me, after all a visa is often required for access to many countries!
Maybe we could also copy the charges to use motorways that many countries employ??
I will confess ignorance as to what the full systems are, do vehicle owners in those countries have to pay the equivalent charge such as the V.E.D. applied here, then pay additional fees to use motorways, then it is certainly fair that we pay when we visit their country. But if it is a pick and mix that brings about inequalities then it should be looked at.
I repeat again I know little on this matter, but why shouldn't folk who wreck he roads pay to maintain them regardless of location!
Truth is I wish we could reverse the reliance on massive road miles employed for movement of goods, landed in lorries at coastal ports then erosive travel the length & breadth of the U.K. to go to other ports to travel to another country with ports! Why not cut out the worn down middle country?
Switzerland has measures in place to limit the use of the country as a rat run, greener than the current model here!
As usual shoot me down, well it is to be hoped that I might learn new stuff. MM

The only EU through traffic of the UK is from and to Ireland. A country of just 5 million people.
It is a only a very small part of our traffic problem overall.
Most of that problem is over-reliance on road for so much of our own imported and essential foodstuffs and other goods.

Switzerland sits slap bang in the middle of the EU. Between the major population, industry and agricultural producers of Germany and N Italy, and more.
There are limited options for crossing the barrier of the Alps.
The Swiss have invested heavily in rail tunnels and other rail infrastructure to partially alleviate this heavy road traffic. The rail system is state owned and quite efficient. Some heavy lorry trailers are put onto the all electric rail system for through transport.
((We in the UK after years of starving our rail freight capacity of money will take many years to catch up))

Additionally all vehicles in Switz pay a set annual fee (vignette) to use the motorway system. But major roads are not tolled.

Switzerland while not a full member of the EU has 40 years of treaties and agreements with Brussels.
40 years!
It is also a member of the Schengen free movement area.
It enjoys a great deal of profitable and beneficial free trade with the EU and vice versa.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

simonineaston wrote: ... what's going to happen...

There'll be some kind of shock transition at the end of the year.

Then a gradual drag on our economy for many years to come.

The government will attempt to exploit this to remove regulation on employment rights, environmental controls and the like, whilst blaming the EU and continuing to rely on xenophobia for their support.

I make no predictions for Northern Ireland or Scottish and Welsh independence, just noting that the potential for radical change is high.

How's that?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

How's that?
Hmmm... a [rude word that rhymes with trite] future, by the sound of it! We're in this dreadful position because of weak regulation in the first place (in the form of dodgy practices pre referendum, thinking Arron Banks and gang, where democratic guidelines / reg.s clearly broken and no redress). UK's going to be a very bad place for a few years / decade. Threats to all sorts of hard-fought for rights and protection. A ghastly future awaits all & sundry, while the lucky very few, with assets enough to employ the very shady tax practices the EU seeks to reform will benefit - Rees-Mogg, Cummings & Hancock, being just three... ordinary people will come off badly, thus potentially polarising the electorate, moving voters away from centrist views to the extremes - where America sneezes, yadda, yadda. Not looking forward to this, at all.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

20200924_122819.jpg

New map of Britain
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:20200924_122819.jpg

New map of Britain

Don't mind separating Kent from the rest of the UK but why inflict it upon France?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I make no predictions for Northern Ireland or Scottish and Welsh independence, just noting that the potential for radical change is high.

I'd bet that independence for Wales (which probably means independence for England) is some way off. But there's a new "roadmap" out today:
http://www.independencecommission.wales

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Jdsk wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:I make no predictions for Northern Ireland or Scottish and Welsh independence, just noting that the potential for radical change is high.

I'd bet that independence for Wales (which probably means independence for England) is some way off. But there's a new "roadmap" out today:

Jonathan

Am I the only person who thinks Wales is a country is like regarding East Anglia is also a country?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Am I the only person who thinks Wales is a country is like regarding East Anglia is also a country?

Well done for demonstrating why independence is increasingly popular for the non-English countries of the uk.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Wales is a unit of measurement.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I'd bet that independence for Wales (which probably means independence for England) is some way off. But there's a new "roadmap" out today:

Jonathan

Well done for demonstrating why independence is increasingly popular for the non-English countries of the uk.

out of curiosity ( and I dont know the answer) what proportion of those in Wales speak Welsh? East Anglia had its own dialects until the Londoners found it a nice place to retire to or commute from and corrupted the place
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
out of curiosity ( and I dont know the answer) what proportion of those in Wales speak Welsh?

www.google.com
Lakelander

Post by Lakelander »

mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:

out of curiosity ( and I dont know the answer) what proportion of those in Wales speak Welsh? East Anglia had its own dialects until the Londoners found it a nice place to retire to or commute from and corrupted the place

28.5% or around 850,000 Welsh speakers in Wales.I don’t really see your comparison with East Anglia though.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lakelander wrote:
mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

28.5% or around 850,000 Welsh speakers in Wales.I don’t really see your comparison with East Anglia though.

[youtube]HuorWS1079Q[/youtube]

will happen to Wales sooner or later
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Is that bloke singing in Welsh?No wonder people in Cardiff and Swansea speak English!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

He voted for Brexit now decided to move to Monaco to avoid paying tax. :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/25/sir-jim-ratcliffe-uks-richest-person-moves-to-tax-free-monaco-brexit-ineos-domicile?

people who do that should have any titles removed, should be conditional in being a tax payer?