Would you report your neighbours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Would you report your neighbours?

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:
Syd wrote:I am not disputing them wanting to pull out.

A government spokesperson said: “The UK is committed to the European convention on human rights... "
13 September 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/sep/13/uk-government-plans-to-remove-key-human-rights-protections

Jonathan

Such people have been known to lie.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I assume that the human right they don't like is this one

The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:I assume that the human right they don't like is this one

The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State

I thought the Tories claim to be pro family, though Johnson himself doesn't seem to think much to family commitment.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps some see a difference between the responsibilities of the family as a way of shrinking the welfare state and the right to family life which has been an obstacle to deportations and the like.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps some see a difference between the responsibilities of the family as a way of shrinking the welfare state and the right to family life which has been an obstacle to deportations and the like.

Oh yeah . I was forgetting nothing must stand in the way of getting rid of immigrants.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

First Brexit and now C19. The government has scared people with C19 so much so that friends in the UK talk about nothing else.
Leaving the EU with no deal may have always been the aim but with talk of nothing but how dangerous the virus is any challenge to no deal is hardly heard amidst talk of local restrictions, testing, which social group is breaking the latest rule.

I'm not sure if the government is being fiendishly cunning or hugely incompetent.☹️.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The communist countries had honorary monitors who dealt with people who put the washing out on Sundays, or who smoked on their balconies, parked their cycles in wrong places, parked their cars nose in, &c, etc

This is a gross exaggeration,but they were employed to oversee dissident behaviour such as accumulating assets,profiteering and listening to anything by Cliff Richard,after he left the Shadows.You can appreciate they had a valuable role.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

IMO anyone who "shops" neighbours for having family round under these stupid C-19 "rules" deserves any repercussions that follow.These people should not have anonymity.I have no time for people like that.
If its a party/BBQ etc with 20/30/40 people then have a quiet word...or a beer and a burger...but phoning the Police doesn't sit right with me and would take us down a very dangerous path.

If my neighbours were interrupted during a party etc,in the scenario described,a quiet word would not work.The numbers you refer to is way more than agreed limit,and if they needed such frivolity they should drive to a remote place and isolate themselves.As for repurcussions are you expectin g some sort of baseball bat assault.My neighbours would be too wary to threaten such action.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pebble wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:What next? Report people with the wrong religion? Wrong politics?

which religions and politics do you consider are wrong ?

Not me. But should the government dislike politics other that theirs.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Syd wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Syd wrote:Time to dig out your tinfoil hat methinks.

Tell that to the the Telegraph then https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ghts-laws/ and the Independant https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 33013.html and almost every other newspaper. It's well documented Johnson wants to pull out of it - and please don't claim it's "fake news".

I am not disputing them wanting to pull out.

I don’t know there reasons but it’s not to make being Roman Catholic, agnostic, or a Lib Dem supporter illegal and suggested in the OP.

I never suggested that at all. But we do have a hard right government with fascist tendencies. First they came for the XR/BLM....
John
Syd

Post by Syd »

Oldjohnw wrote:What next? Report people with the wrong religion? Wrong politics?

I don’t know there reasons but it’s not to make being Roman Catholic, agnostic, or a Lib Dem supporter illegal and suggested in the OP.

Oldjohnw wrote:I never suggested that at all. But we do have a hard right government with fascist tendencies. First they came for the XR/BLM....

Well you did leave if very open.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

These are the things that can happen. It has happened elsewhere in Europe on my lifetime. And in Northern Ireland.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Syd wrote:I don’t know there reasons but it’s not to make being Roman Catholic, agnostic, or a Lib Dem supporter illegal and suggested in the OP.

So you don't know - there is nothing in there that specifies a maximum standard, so the only reason to opt out is to reduce basic human rights.

This lot are power grabbing ${expletive}s who shouldn't be anywhere near the halls of government.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Syd

Post by Syd »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Syd wrote:I don’t know there reasons but it’s not to make being Roman Catholic, agnostic, or a Lib Dem supporter illegal and suggested in the OP.

So you don't know - there is nothing in there that specifies a maximum standard, so the only reason to opt out is to reduce basic human rights.

This lot are power grabbing ${expletive}s who shouldn't be anywhere near the halls of government.

That’s a given. The unknown is where that will take place.
irc

Post by irc »

pete75 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I assume that the human right they don't like is this one

I thought the Tories claim to be pro family, though Johnson himself doesn't seem to think much to family commitment.

Boris must be pro family. He has had several!