Would you report your neighbours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Navara

Re: Would you report your neighbours?

Post by Navara »

mumbojumbo wrote:
IMO anyone who "shops" neighbours for having family round under these stupid C-19 "rules" deserves any repercussions that follow.These people should not have anonymity.I have no time for people like that.
If its a party/BBQ etc with 20/30/40 people then have a quiet word...or a beer and a burger...but phoning the Police doesn't sit right with me and would take us down a very dangerous path.

If my neighbours were interrupted during a party etc,in the scenario described,a quiet word would not work.The numbers you refer to is way more than agreed limit,and if they needed such frivolity they should drive to a remote place and isolate themselves.As for repurcussions are you expectin g some sort of baseball bat assault.My neighbours would be too wary to threaten such action.

Agreed limit?
Agreed by who?This is a limit imposed on us.
I did not mention "baseball bat assault".You did.Repercussions come in many forms.Choose your preference.
As mentioned above if you are prepared to stoop to snitching on your neighbours for trivial things then you should at least do it openly and not be cowardly about it.If that person then see's fit to knock on your door and give you a slap for being a grass then you should have no complaints!
Every street/avenue will have that one busybody/curtain twitcher who feels the need to report anyone not deemed to be doing what they think is right.We have a couple.Most others just ignore them.That's another preference/repercussion.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Just as there will be at least one curtain twitcher/grass there will probably be the same number of people with no concept of risk, which when added to the inevitable person who doesn't give a toot about anyone but themselves we have a recipe for a continuing health problem!
They probably also enjoy listening to the output of both that Gallagher muppet & Van the Man? MM
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some years ago, my late sister-in-law lived in Doncaster. She was single and a professional woman who kept herself to herself. Once, she was disturbed late at night by the glass in her front door being broken. The following morning, we had a call from her friends - one a probation officer - saying she was distraught and they didn't know what to do. My wife was obviously worried about her sister so off we went. It turned out that somebody had pushed a badly-written note through one of the neighbour's letterboxes complaining about the filth dropped by his mutt and he had jumped to a conclusion about its author.

I went round to see him and in the cold light of day, probably with a hangover, he cringed behind his wife. Incidentally, I wasn't in any way threatening, just finding what name should go on the bill for the repair.

A lot of big talkers are all mouth.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Agreed limit?
I did not mention "baseball bat assault".You did.Repercussions come in many forms.Choose your preference.
As mentioned above if you are prepared to stoop to snitching on your neighbours for trivial things then you should at least do it openly and not be cowardly about it.If that person then see's fit to knock on your door and give you a slap for being a grass then you should have no complaints!
Every street/avenue will have that one busybody/curtain twitcher who feels the need to report anyone not deemed to be doing what they think is right.We have a couple.Most others just ignore them.That's another preference/repercussion.

Surely by your definition any decision taken is imposed.The term "snitching" is employed by petty criminals and bullies to intimidate those liable to disclose their anti-social conduct.Similarly the "giving a slap" expression is used by minor thugs,again to un settle people.It is pathetic and shows a lack of respect,and often is unmatched by any action-as penned by Dashiel Hammett

"the cheaper the crook,the gaudier the patter"
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mumbojumbo wrote:"the cheaper the crook,the gaudier the patter"

Apt quotation.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

All law is imposed. That is the nature of law. We cannot, unless we are HMG, sit down, discuss, agree and then do something else. If we don't like laws we can lobby, protest, get elected or vote for those who will do what we would like. Mostly we won't succeed because that is democracy. It is going out of fashion.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

thirdcrank wrote: It turned out that somebody had pushed a badly-written note through one of the neighbour's letterboxes complaining about the filth dropped by his mutt and he had jumped to a conclusion about its author.

A note left on a parked car by person unknown is what upset our neighbours. The woman next door would attempt to antagonise me at any opportunity - invariably when her husband wasn’t home. Our other neighbour, oblivious to our conflict described her as like a dog with a bone, which suggested she had some history of antisocial behaviour.
I suffered the noise of her banging the cylinder of a concrete mixer with a spade whenever I tried to talk with friends in the garden, foul smelling water being poured under the dividing fence, her photographing me and acquaintances from her upstairs window. Worst of all was her calmly swinging a moving hedge trimmer within 18” of my face whilst cutting the top off our boundary hedge. It was this early incident that made me decide that she was disturbed and I should do nothing to antagonise or provoke her. I never did but, as already described, she had found herself a new ‘hobby’.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Peetee, Sorry that you met such an odious person! Glad it ended for you.
But that must have been before social media became the weapon of choice? These days she would have weaponized everything against you, even accused you of hoarding toilet rolls & bread flour? Hogging all the sanitizing gel, naffling up the last of the PPE???
Humour is often missing from their lives?
Now who can I grass up? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
Navara

Post by Navara »

mumbojumbo wrote:
Agreed limit?

Surely by your definition any decision taken is imposed.The term "snitching" is employed by petty criminals and bullies to intimidate those liable to disclose their anti-social conduct.Similarly the "giving a slap" expression is used by minor thugs,again to un settle people.It is pathetic and shows a lack of respect,and often is unmatched by any action-as penned by Dashiel Hammett
"the cheaper the crook,the gaudier the patter"

I find your post a bit condescending and to be frank holier than thou.
I was told/taught not to snitch/grass from a very early age.Non of my family were bullies or petty criminals but you've obviously already made your mind up based on assumption.It was something you just don't do.Simple as that."Giving a slap" is also a term widely used for many situations but again you've made your mind up by assumption :roll: If I did something wrong,or "naughty" and a neighbour "gave me a slap" or "a crack around the head" I would not dare tell my dad or I'd get another for "snitching".The same would apply if I "got the stick or slipper" from a teacher at school.
I'm in my 50s now and can probably count the times where violence was the only answer on one hand.It happens.It doesn't make me a thug,bully or petty criminal.It makes me Human.
We obviously come from completely different backgrounds and from what I'm reading I'm glad we do.

I cannot comment on Dashiel Hammett as I have no idea who it is.I presume it's an Author but can't be bothered to Google it as quoting things like that to make a point merely proves the point underlined above.

Having said that though I'll quote Mr B.Dylan..The times they are a changin'....and not for the better.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Navara wrote:I'm in my 50s now and can probably count the times where violence was the only answer on one hand.

Last time I recall having to resort to violence was when I was 11 or 12!

Navara wrote: We obviously come from very different backgrounds and from what I'm reading I'm glad we do.

I had a pretty sh!t upbringing but am very glad you have been able to divert my path down a very different route.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Violence is never the answer
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Violence is never the answer

Agreed.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

[quoteI cannot comment on Dashiel Hammett as I have no idea who it is.I presume it's an Author but can't be bothered to Google it as quoting things like that to make a point merely proves the point underlined above.

Having said that though I'll quote Mr B.Dylan..The times they are a changin'....and not for the better.

][/quote]

"Someone's got it in for me!"
"Somthing'shappening but you dont know what it is,do you,Mrs Jones?" sain the Joker to the thief.
"There must some way out of this place" exclaimed Mrs Jones
"I did nt mean to ignore you,but I should have brought you up not to snitch!*

Dialogue adopted from Robert Zimmerman,Minneapolis.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Violence is never the answer

An old quote:
XML (obscure computer thing, does t really matter) is like violence. If it doesn’t solve your problem then you’re not using enough of it.

It was meant as both a comment on how rapidly violence escalates, and a criticism of those who tried to use XML *everywhere*, even where it was clearly not appropriate.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Absolutely. Abide by the rules, or take the consequences. The rules are there for everyone’s benefit, if someone wishes to chance their arm, they should be prepared to take the consequences.