Buried with a bicycle.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Buried with a bicycle.

Post by Mick F »

:D
Of course!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F

Did your father have some sort of life insurance or dis the local authority pay - public health funeral - ?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Audax67 wrote:I'll be going up the chimney, but just for devilment I'd like my collection of punctured tubes waiting for patches to go with me.

:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Mick F

Did your father have some sort of life insurance or dis the local authority pay - public health funeral - ?
Ironic really, but he was an insurance agent. :lol:

No, he didn't have life insurance. "Cobbler's Children" and all that. :wink:

He went down with dementia slowly over the years and eventually went into a home. They took his OAP and that was all they could have. He died the day after his 70th birthday having withered away for months. Died 20th April 1990 and was cremated and his casket is with our mum's in the graveyard at Charnock Richard church where he'd been the church organist for many many years. In his younger days, he was an accomplished pianist and organist.

The state paid for the funeral and cremation. Only one small service and that was at the crematorium. Me and my sister paid for the headstone.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My experience of advising people over this is not recent, but depending on which way you look at it, it's quite rare for local authorities to pay, although that varies locally. Austerity has probably tightened the purse strings even more.

... There were 3,784 public health funerals in the UK in the financial year covering 2015-2016, up 12% since 2011. The cost to the local councils involved was £4 million.

https://beyond.life/help-centre/funeral ... in-the-uk/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Someone's got to pay though.
You can't just bill the next of kin unless they volunteer.

Can't remember specifically, but we must have paid for the casket and name-plate. Certainly paid for the flowers.
No cars, other than the hearse taking Dad's coffin to the crematorium, but that happened without us being in attendance no doubt organised by the home. When we all arrived at the crem, the coffin was already inside.

Any road up, I don't want anyone to pay for a funeral for me. I came into this world free of charge, and I'm going out free of charge too.
If anyone wants to spend money, that's their decision, but if they want my advice, pay nowt!
Go and get drunk instead.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The surest way to bump up the price is to make complicated wishes like being buried with a bike: a combined coffin+bike box or the like would be hard to source, hard to get into a hearse and a so-and-so to bury.
    PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Leaving aside the issue of the state (or taxpayer) paying, a thought occurred to me.
    One has a nice bit of land or woodland. So a plot shouldn't be a problem.
    How about the frame as a "headstone, cos it seems a shame to bury it,
    with a few choice words in the triangle.

If I might make so bold.

"Hereunder lies old Mick,
    A good old salty stick.
    We couldn't find his Chopper
    But he really wasn't bothered."
    bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Mick F wrote:
    thirdcrank wrote:Mick F

Ironic really, but he was an insurance agent. :lol:

No, he didn't have life insurance. "Cobbler's Children" and all that. :wink:

He went down with dementia slowly over the years and eventually went into a home. They took his OAP and that was all they could have. He died the day after his 70th birthday having withered away for months. Died 20th April 1990 and was cremated and his casket is with our mum's in the graveyard at Charnock Richard church where he'd been the church organist for many many years. In his younger days, he was an accomplished pianist and organist.

The state paid for the funeral and cremation. Only one small service and that was at the crematorium. Me and my sister paid for the headstone.

You must have had a very generous local authority if they paid for a cremation and interment of the ashes. The duty on the authority is to bury or cremate, one or the other.
    A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
    Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Leaving aside the issue of the state (or taxpayer) paying, a thought occurred to me.
    One has a nice bit of land or woodland. So a plot shouldn't be a problem.
    How about the frame as a "headstone, cos it seems a shame to bury it,
    with a few choice words in the triangle.

If I might make so bold.

"Hereunder lies old Mick,
    A good old salty stick.
    We couldn't find his Chopper
    But he really wasn't bothered."

Verse 2
    " Here under lies old Mick,
    Could pedal at a fair old lick,
    He had to you see
    To get back for his tea
    Cos he'd been curtin a fancy chick.
    I am here. Where are you?
    Mick F
    Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bogmyrtle wrote:You must have had a very generous local authority if they paid for a cremation and interment of the ashes.

They paid for the transport of the body and the cremation.
    We paid for the casket (if I remember correctly) but paid nothing for the internment.
    Maybe the church paid it as he was a long-standing organist and choir master there.

Dad was in a home in Llay just north of Wrexham and died there.
    Sister and husband lived in Wrexham, and we we were living - and still do - in Cornwall.
    Funeral was locally up there, and his casket was taken to Lancs by sister and husband some time later. Weeks?
    We drove Up North for the internment.

All this was in spring 1990.
    I have diaries going back that far, so if I have a mind to it, I can find out the timescale and when and where perhaps.
    Back in those days, my diaries were very much work (RN) orientated as I was very involved with work, so domestic stuff might not be recorded ............ hence being vague about details.

I went to the funeral in uniform with medals I do remember that.
    Mick F. Cornwall
    rjb

Post by rjb »

We could always balance you coffin on Mercian as we pushed it Brentor. :roll:
    viewtopic.php?t=135861&start=480. :lol:
    At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
    Mick F
    Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well- remembered! :D
    Not been up to the church for quite some years, but cycle past it quite often either from the Lydford end or from the Tavistock end.

Have a photo somewhere of our two Border Collies Sally and Megan, tied up outside whilst we were in there with Daughter1 doing a project on St Micheal's for her GCEs. She's 45 years old now! :D
    Mick F. Cornwall
    PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Well- remembered! :D
    Not been up to the church for quite some years, but cycle past it quite often either from the Lydford end or from the Tavistock end.

Have a photo somewhere of our two Border Collies Sally and Megan, tied up outside whilst we were in there with Daughter1 doing a project on St Micheal's for her GCEs. She's 45 years old now! :D

I offer this to make ammends for the above!

"Here lies good 'ol PDQ
    Got himself in quite a stew.
    Someone popped one though his spoke.
    And from the crash he never woke
    So sit awhile and have a brew."
    Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote:
    Navara wrote:Not heard of it but I would imagine if you're willing to pay for a coffin large enough then I couldn't see why not!?

A bicycle with a stiff frame, obviously.

I don't think that this received the approbation that it deserved.

Jonathan