Where is this photo taken ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo

Re: Where is this photo taken ?

Postby mumbojumbo » 27 Sep 2020, 6:18pm

Its fake -there is a hardstanding for a car but no drive,no tyre marks ,no phone lines etc.What a waste of time!

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 27 Sep 2020, 10:09pm

All yours Tim :roll:

peetee

Postby peetee » 28 Sep 2020, 9:51am

I think it’s hideous. I really can’t stand the ‘mock-vernacular’ look. For example, when faux timbers or stonework are added with perfectly regular line and shape instead of each being unique and following the natural ‘grain’ of the material.
Apart from the fact that it is spoiling a very pleasant view, a building with that sort of complexity of design is going to need a lot of maintenance in a harsh moorland environment so even without the fancy paintwork it isn’t going to fit in with the local architecture, I would guess.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 28 Sep 2020, 10:07am

cyclop wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Tim Holman wrote:Hello, all. It's not a fake photo. This was built in the middle of an empty vista.

the new shot looks fake to me

Why the flippin hell would I post a fake photo!!!! It,s real,Tim Holman knows where it is and you will note I put the word"incongruous" in an earlier post,"incongruous-out of place-shouldn,t be there",thats why I thought anybody who,s been on that road wouldn,t forget it.I,ll letTim Holman tell you where and what the building is.

The picture put up by cyclop is fake the second isn't. Note how the first picture lacks detail such as the glazing bars in the circular window.
Here's a real photo of the place - details here https://www.dogfriendly.co.uk/cottages- ... owes-60346

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 28 Sep 2020, 11:12am

pete75 wrote:
cyclop wrote:
mercalia wrote:
the new shot looks fake to me

Why the flippin hell would I post a fake photo!!!!

The picture put up by cyclop is fake the second isn't. Note how the first picture lacks detail such as the glazing bars in the circular window.
Here's a real photo of the place - details here https://www.dogfriendly.co.uk/cottages- ... owes-60346

What a shame that an innocuous bit of fun has ended up as being an accusation of lying.Would you accuse me of lying if you were standing in front of me?This sort of behaviour is worrying on a forum known,generally,as a place of moderate views and respect.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 28 Sep 2020, 11:14am

cyclop wrote:
pete75 wrote:
cyclop wrote:Why the flippin hell would I post a fake photo!!!!

What a shame that an innocuous bit of fun has ended up as being an accusation of lying.Would you accuse me of lying if you were standing in front of me?This sort of behaviour is worrying on a forum known,generally,as a place of moderate views and respect.

If you claimed that photo was genuine then yes I would. Clearly it isn't when compared to real photographs of the place.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 28 Sep 2020, 11:21am

Please could the posters add the provenance of each of the photos.

Thanks

Jonathan

pete75

Postby pete75 » 28 Sep 2020, 11:25am

Jdsk wrote:Please could the posters add the provenance of each of the photos.

Thanks

Jonathan

I already have - it's from here https://www.dogfriendly.co.uk/cottages- ... owes-60346

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 28 Sep 2020, 11:29am

Thanks

Jonathan

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 28 Sep 2020, 12:36pm

see next post

Last edited by cyclop on 28 Sep 2020, 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 28 Sep 2020, 12:51pm

Jdsk wrote:Please could the posters add the provenance of each of the photos.

Thanks

Jonathan

Certainly,10.30ish,taken with a panasonic lumix dmc-tz6 from the entrance to a farm,N.W. of the actual entrance to the property on the A713 between Carsphain and Dalmellington.Strong sun .The dark round window ,in shadow,shows no glazing bars.I,m clueless why not,something to do with exposure?
I,m surprised at the arrogant pronouncements,"It,s a fake",no doubts,no arguments.If you were photography experts you would temper your thoughts with "it might be" or "under certain conditions",patently obvious you aren,t, so,until the time you do glean some knowledge ,might I suggest you keep shtum and not display your ignorance to all and sundry.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 28 Sep 2020, 1:35pm

Thanks

Jonathan

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 28 Sep 2020, 1:43pm

It's ridiculous to say the picture is false cos one of the ways I confirmed I was looking at the correct place after Googling the picture was the shape and features of the landscape behind --

if you look there's a peculiar looking rectangular bush or set of trees in the distance and it is still there in the photo I posted all be it at a different angle --

There are many other features but I thought that bush and the way the building sits up on an elevated site in a sort of valley makes it unusual but definitely the same place and looks like well known to locals from the amount of guff about it.

The thought did cross my mind that it could be a local spoof like loch ness monster but although it's a monstrosity spoiling the surrounding countryside I think it is real.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 28 Sep 2020, 2:13pm

Cowsham wrote:It's ridiculous to say the picture is false cos one of the ways I confirmed I was looking at the correct place after Googling the picture was the shape and features of the landscape behind --

if you look there's a peculiar looking rectangular bush or set of trees in the distance and it is still there in the photo I posted all be it at a different angle --

There are many other features but I thought that bush and the way the building sits up on an elevated site in a sort of valley makes it unusual but definitely the same place and looks like well known to locals from the amount of guff about it.

The thought did cross my mind that it could be a local spoof like loch ness monster but although it's a monstrosity spoiling the surrounding countryside I think it is real.

Oh no doubt that building is there - the booking website I linked to proves it. It looks odd in the first photo - my thought is something photoshopped up for the planning application to show what it would be like when built.

Tim Holman

Postby Tim Holman » 28 Sep 2020, 2:44pm

Oh, dear what a to do. The property is real enough without everyone getting their knickers twisted. It is near Carsphairn in Dumfries and Galloway and a "Cottage" it clearly is not. I agree...a bit of fun has gone and developed a life of its own.