One policeman doing his job on London trains

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo

Re: One policeman doing his job on London trains

Post by mumbojumbo »

Are the items 1-5 questions or statements?I refuse to reveal where I worked but dealt with public in transport,and worked at a station,but bot one with cells.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Carlton green wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Plus one. I’ve met all sorts over the years and come to a similar conclusions. My own experience is that the type of behaviour in the video isn’t too untypical of coloured youths, but at the same time there are many people of colour who I’d be very happy to welcome into my home and they are not well served by the actions of other people people of similar ethnicity. Whatever, to my mind the young man being talked to by the Police was both arrogant and deliberately acting stupidly. In my opinion the Police showed excessive patience and should have simply booked him within seconds of the conversation starting - if no good excuse or reason is quickly forthcoming then the culprit should be swiftly dealt with.

I don't think you understand the point I made. The stereotype was a young stupid male. Ethnicity is irrelevant, except in the eyes of some viewers.

I did get your point but made additional ones. When you strip this situation back and take out age, gender and ethnicity we’re left with an individual who was flouting the rules and goading Police Officers. By association his actions discredit other males, other youths and other people of colour.

My point, to be explicit, is that you yourself were calling out colour as a factor - and using the term 'coloured', which has largely been dropped from usage. It's not untypical of youths of that age, period, nor indeed untypical for females of that age. Some people will see, and focus on colour, as you did.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

I note that the terms. ''coloured / black '' are now frowned upon yet the term ''person / woman of colour '' is.........

why ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

May I ask... are you interested in why terms go in and out of favour and the social history of discrimination and the rôle of language?

Or do you want to get to WORDS SHOULD MEAN WHAT THEY SAY without any social context?

Thanks

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:May I ask... are you interested in why terms go in and out of favour and the social history of discrimination and the rôle of language?

Or do you want to get to WORDS SHOULD MEAN WHAT THEY SAY without any social context?

Thanks

Jonathan

IMO "person of colour" and "black" aren't the same thing.
One is an identification the other is a property.

I see loads of "people of colour" who are whiter than half the folk who identify as "Caucasian". If I was describing them to someone I'd say "white", otoh if they're dark skinned I'd say "black" ('ish', obviously there are many ways to get across the 'actual' colour of someone's skin so in practice it would be unlikely to be so "black and white").

Unpopular these days no doubt but "person of colour" tells me nothing other than how they identify themselves.