CTC group rides

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
patmac

CTC group rides

Postby patmac » 20 Jun 2008, 8:20pm

I've been thinking recently about possibly going on one of these group rides in my local area. Could I keep up, can I eat that much cake and drink that much tea, would I have to talk about hand knitted jumpers and sandles? Most of all, do I look weird enough to appear in the photos?

Peter Rowell

Re: CTC group rides

Postby Peter Rowell » 20 Jun 2008, 8:49pm

I don't know about Surrey, but doesn't apply to Cambs. I will answer your questions below.

patmac wrote:I've been thinking recently about possibly going on one of these group rides in my local area. Could I keep up,(yes, we do not leave anyone behind)
can I eat that much cake and drink that much tea,(our club teas are not excessive but adequate)
would I have to talk about hand knitted jumpers and sandles? (I haven't seen anyone in hand knitted jumpers or sandals for years, but we don't all wear Lycra either)
Most of all, do I look weird enough to appear in the photos? (having not seen your photo, that's for you to decide)
Leader - Tuesday Senior Cyclists' Group, Cambridge Cyclists' Touring Club
Organiser - Mid Anglia Computer Users.

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 21 Jun 2008, 10:03am

Go on Patmac, you know you want to!

It's not just tea and cakes, beer at the pub stops too.

And what's wrong with weird?

It would be a great pity if we all looked the same!

Simon L6

Postby Simon L6 » 21 Jun 2008, 4:39pm

I can't see what you've got to lose by trying....

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 21 Jun 2008, 5:36pm

Go on Patmac you might have a great time!

At least you have the choice to cycle with a group. Im billy no mates where I live.

I would love to ride out with others. I have made some contact with a CTC group in Cumbria, but its a mighty expensive way to cycle with like minded folk for me.

Mary

patmac

Postby patmac » 21 Jun 2008, 11:13pm

Peter Rowell wrote:I don't know about Surrey, but doesn't apply to Cambs. I will answer your questions below.

patmac wrote:I've been thinking recently about possibly going on one of these group rides in my local area. Could I keep up,(yes, we do not leave anyone behind)
can I eat that much cake and drink that much tea,(our club teas are not excessive but adequate)
would I have to talk about hand knitted jumpers and sandles? (I haven't seen anyone in hand knitted jumpers or sandals for years, but we don't all wear Lycra either)
Most of all, do I look weird enough to appear in the photos? (having not seen your photo, that's for you to decide)

Thanks for that, Peter. As for weird.. Well, think of the character 'Alfred E Newman' who used to appear on the cover of the old Mad Magazine paperback books wearing an inane grin over the catch phrase ' What, me, worry?' and that's me!
Mind, there is a nice group on the new issue of CTC magazine this moth. Despite being CTC staff they actually look quite sane!

gaz

Postby gaz » 22 Jun 2008, 8:22pm

patmac wrote:I've been thinking recently about possibly going on one of these group rides in my local area.

I recommend the power of positive thinking to motivate you. Keep repeating this mantra "If I go, I'll meet a Kate Humble look-a-like."

Once your thinking positively that you will meet one nothing will stop you going. I cannot, however, promise that you will meet one when you do.
Missing, presumed fed.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 22 Jun 2008, 8:26pm

You could go as a gaz lookalike. :wink:

So let's hear it: 'Exfoliate..Exfol......' :wink:

gaz

Postby gaz » 22 Jun 2008, 8:57pm

thirdcrank wrote:You could go as a gaz lookalike. :wink:
:lol:

Not me, I only do the helmet. :wink:

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 22 Jun 2008, 9:22pm

I know it's not you. That's why I said 'lookalike'

(PS. I found that looking for that pic in your link of a dalek helmet which appeared to come, like this one, from the Argos catalogue. Sad.)

patmac

Postby patmac » 22 Jun 2008, 11:52pm

gaz wrote:
patmac wrote:I've been thinking recently about possibly going on one of these group rides in my local area.

I recommend the power of positive thinking to motivate you. Keep repeating this mantra "If I go, I'll meet a Kate Humble look-a-like."

Once your thinking positively that you will meet one nothing will stop you going. I cannot, however, promise that you will meet one when you do.

If the local group can guarantee a Kate Humble lookalike on one of their rides I'll go. This is the sort of encouragement CTC should be encouraged to provide! If Kate can't make it, Natasha Kaplinski ( or lookalike ) will do.
I need SOME motivation! : :P

However, I have been reading other posts on this site which provide rather a different outlook on CTC rides. I refer to 'New Groups' in the CTC Member Groups thread. The picture painted there is one not of the happy group ride but rather of dissention and disagreement. Senior lady members berating a new member for not having splash guards on their mudguards, new members being left in the middle of nowhere while the more experienced push on, cliques and cabals, the 'in crowd' and the 'outsider', not having/wearing the right gear etc etc. I've come across this sort of thing in model clubs and sports clubs ( in my sporty days, now long gone ) and it's not nice. As a solo rider I had a wonderful ride this afternoon, going where I pleased, when I pleased, and not a cross word or disapproving glance from anyone-absolutely perfect.

workhard

Postby workhard » 23 Jun 2008, 9:13am

patmac wrote:However, I have been reading other posts on this site which provide rather a different outlook on CTC rides. I refer to 'New Groups' in the CTC Member Groups thread. The picture painted there is one not of the happy group ride but rather of dissention and disagreement. Senior lady members berating a new member for not having splash guards on their mudguards, new members being left in the middle of nowhere while the more experienced push on, cliques and cabals, the 'in crowd' and the 'outsider', not having/wearing the right gear etc etc. I've come across this sort of thing in model clubs and sports clubs ( in my sporty days, now long gone ) and it's not nice. As a solo rider I had a wonderful ride this afternoon, going where I pleased, when I pleased, and not a cross word or disapproving glance from anyone-absolutely perfect.

I have only riden rarely with my local group, as normally I'm otherwise engaged on Sunday mornings, but the above has not been my experience. Advice, albeit unasked, for was offered about my gear, the mick was taken, in a friendly way, about my being on an MTB, questions were asked about my fitness, and points were made about group riding etiquette, etc.. but I've gone back a few times since and am made to feel welcome.

The core of the group remind me of many other bunches of "old school subject nutters" I've come across be it real ale, folk music, steam train enthusiasts, etc., in that they expect everyone else to be as into it as they are.... and they expect you to pay your dues before being welcomed into the inner circle. But there is nothing that unusual about that IME.

If you seek offence you'll find offence everywhere.

Simon L6

Postby Simon L6 » 23 Jun 2008, 7:52pm

Patmac - I lead a CTC ride through Surrey which has cyclists of all descriptions and some that defy description. Our Beginners group (which has riders who are very far from beginners, but just like it there) gives a first rate welcome to all and sundry.

I think you've just got to give it a go. Nobody's going to get upset if you do it once and decide it's not for you.

Nigtani

Postby Nigtani » 24 Jun 2008, 7:19am

Surely one of the great pleasures of riding a bike is to do the opposite and actually get away from other people. :-)[/i]

mhara

Postby mhara » 24 Jun 2008, 7:49am

workhard wrote:
patmac wrote:..... The picture painted there is one not of the happy group ride but rather of dissention and disagreement....

.... and points were made about group riding etiquette, etc..

That's exactly why I've never been tempted to dip my toe-clip into the water and give CTC rides a go. The distance and speed I can probably manage and I'm fairly gregarious, but what about CTC group ride etiquette? It's those unspoken 'rules' that I might transgress.

Also, on congested paths/bits of road it's the nearby cyclist who doesn't signal their intention of changing their speed, or stopping suddenly :o , or their 'position' on the path/road, or their direction.

My perception of a group ride is that you have to pay constant attention to what those around you are likely to do. No fun at all.