CTC group rides

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dee Jay
Posts: 375
Joined: 7 Jun 2008, 8:07pm

Postby Dee Jay » 24 Jun 2008, 9:00am

The group I cycle with is not an CTC group.

It is a 'junior' club, so by definition is going to be about being aware of what those around you are doing. I have found that cycling in a group to be a very positive - even life-affirming - experience. (I was quite taken aback by this the first time, and joked about it "like being on the Tour de Devon!)

While I can understand the pleasures of the solitary ride, I would never have the self-discipline to do 13 miles (my personal max, so far) on my own.

A long-time cyclist friend - who has never cycled in a group, but is forced to listen to me waxing evangelical about its delights - told me about a recent piece of research. The way I understand the conclusion is as follows: if you cycle in a group your perception of the ride is one of less mileage and fewer, less steep hills. I certainly know that having others around me encourage to stay on longer, before succumbing to turning a ride into a walk!

And folks who really don't like this sort of thing should probably look away now: there is a lot of crossover between our cycling club and our singing workshop, so passersby are sometimes treated to an impromtu rehearsal of anything from 'Pie Jesu' to 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' to 'I like to be in America'!

I should also add that Stuart, our inspirational leader, always gives the rides cryptic names which might reference some natural/social/local history. We then stop at the relevant spot and uncover the mystery of the name, usually learning something new.

All this .... and we're encouraging the next generation of cyclists!

Can you tell I love it?? Can you?
Dee

patmac
Posts: 140
Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 11:48pm
Location: Surrey

Postby patmac » 24 Jun 2008, 7:54pm

Nigtani wrote:Surely one of the great pleasures of riding a bike is to do the opposite and actually get away from other people. :-)[/i]


This sounds more like me. I've often thought that more than two people gathered together is a crowd, and when man meets man/woman inevitably there will be a row. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old git!

patmac
Posts: 140
Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 11:48pm
Location: Surrey

Postby patmac » 24 Jun 2008, 8:05pm

Dee Jay wrote:The group I cycle with is not an CTC group.

It is a 'junior' club, so by definition is going to be about being aware of what those around you are doing. I have found that cycling in a group to be a very positive - even life-affirming - experience. (I was quite taken aback by this the first time, and joked about it "like being on the Tour de Devon!)

While I can understand the pleasures of the solitary ride, I would never have the self-discipline to do 13 miles (my personal max, so far) on my own.

A long-time cyclist friend - who has never cycled in a group, but is forced to listen to me waxing evangelical about its delights - told me about a recent piece of research. The way I understand the conclusion is as follows: if you cycle in a group your perception of the ride is one of less mileage and fewer, less steep hills. I certainly know that having others around me encourage to stay on longer, before succumbing to turning a ride into a walk!

And folks who really don't like this sort of thing should probably look away now: there is a lot of crossover between our cycling club and our singing workshop, so passersby are sometimes treated to an impromtu rehearsal of anything from 'Pie Jesu' to 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' to 'I like to be in America'!

I should also add that Stuart, our inspirational leader, always gives the rides cryptic names which might reference some natural/social/local history. We then stop at the relevant spot and uncover the mystery of the name, usually learning something new.

All this .... and we're encouraging the next generation of cyclists!

Can you tell I love it?? Can you?


AH, now, you see, this isn't me at all! Community singing while on the bike? Cryptic names for the rides? You'll be telling me next that all your bikes have personal names, like Wendy and Cynthia, Bob and Bill. I feel quite nauseous at the the very thought!

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14113
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Postby gaz » 24 Jun 2008, 8:23pm

patmac wrote:This sounds more like me. I've often thought that more than two people gathered together is a crowd, and when man meets man/woman inevitably there will be a row.


No, it's quite a widely accepted philosophy, perhaps you were just born under a wandering star? :lol:

Don't worry too much your local group probably has room for another grumpy old git, give them a go - there's nothing to lose.
Missing, presumed fed.

Dee Jay
Posts: 375
Joined: 7 Jun 2008, 8:07pm

Postby Dee Jay » 24 Jun 2008, 10:07pm

patmac wrote: AH, now, you see, this isn't me at all! Community singing while on the bike? Cryptic names for the rides? You'll be telling me next that all your bikes have personal names, like Wendy and Cynthia, Bob and Bill. I feel quite nauseous at the the very thought!


I must admit I don't feel so well myself at the thought of bikes with names - althought I'd be very surprised to discover that it was unheard of!

I think the point I was trying to make - as others have done on this thread - that group rides can be very different.

The 'grown up' groups are ... just that. Our junior club has to appeal to children - our youngest rider - on the back of his mum or dad's bike, is not quite four. Children also love to sing, and they are are the ones who start and sometimes the adults who are accompanying the ride can't help joining in. Cheerfulness can be very contagious.

And the cryptic names to the rides: well, that's a bit of incentive, in case the children need it. It is usually a route to a good way to learn something in a very interesting and informal way, while socialising and getting free exercise in the fresh air. (Which their parents feel is preferable to them sitting in front of the telly/'puter/wii/whatever all day.)

As you say, this is not for you, but don't let that stop you trying: you will surely find a group which suits you.

Or maybe not.
Dee

patmac
Posts: 140
Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 11:48pm
Location: Surrey

Postby patmac » 25 Jun 2008, 5:16pm

Perhaps there are groups out there entirely composed of grumpy old men!
Think of it, twenty grumpy old gits riding through the country on yesterday's bikes, complaining about the state of the nation! Sheer heaven, I'll be there this weekend-not!

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14113
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Postby gaz » 25 Jun 2008, 8:53pm

patmac wrote:Perhaps there are groups out there entirely composed of grumpy old men!


Negative thinking again.

Remember your mantra.
Missing, presumed fed.

Dee Jay
Posts: 375
Joined: 7 Jun 2008, 8:07pm

Postby Dee Jay » 26 Jun 2008, 10:47am

In the next village there is a group of much older people. (Not sure about the grumpiness quotient, though!) I believe that most of them are in their nineties ..... and there are maybe about 5 of them? They seem to go out at least one morning week. I see them meeting in the village square and think: how fantastic .. I want to be like that when I am in my nineties!

A few suggestions, Patmac:

I got into cycling through my singing group. (I know, I know: you don't like singing! There's a principle involved here!) We had just moved into the village and I was looking for a choir/voice workshop. After two rehearsals our Cycle Club leader asked if my children had bikes. And the rest, as they say, is history.

And to demonstrate that this principle works in other situations: we nagged my mother-in-law for 4 years to join a walking group. She finally tried to join - at 84 - she was told the cut-off point was 80! Reluctantly - she's the type who says that she doesn't 'do meetings' - she joined a tapestry club instead, and got invited to joined an informal, weekly walk! Result!

A good way to get the group you want is to set one up! Through the Junior Club a number of women joined us on the '5 Miles to Fabulous' and after our 'Ride to Budleigh Salterton' this weekend, we plan to do a semi-regular adult/ladies ride.

Go on, Patmac! Just do it! :D
Dee