Flu 'jab'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Flu 'jab'

Post by simonineaston »

I'm a bit surprised that the admittedly small sample on here contains so many non-takers.
Since I've taken a more active interest in the notion of populations, the dissemination of scientific ideas, their effect on government policies and their acceptance, I've found it all a bit depressing... it all boils down (I think) to humans' difficulties with understanding & assessing risk.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm sure that you've already found Spiegelhalter, but have you found his recommended books on risk by other people?
https://fivebooks.com/best-books/david-spiegelhalter-on-statistics-and-risk/

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:As above: even if you haven't taken up the offer before please consider it this year.

Jonathan

Don't know whether to or not. Have never actually had flu but assume it's not too bad as people off work with it seem to be back in a couple of days or so.

No that’s a cold. Flu lays you out properly.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Excellent link, Jonathan - that's me kept quiet for the next few days... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:As above: even if you haven't taken up the offer before please consider it this year.

Jonathan

Don't know whether to or not. Have never actually had flu but assume it's not too bad as people off work with it seem to be back in a couple of days or so.

No that’s a cold. Flu lays you out properly.

I definitely haven't had it then.
My great uncle Ernest died of it. Survived three years in the trenches, came home, caught the Spanish flu and it killed him. Apparently a high mortality rate among returning soldiers because they tended to be pretty fit and, somehow, that made the effects of the disease worse.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Post hard exercise your immune system is Deficient.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm not an expert on this, but it might be worth reading:
"Debunking the Myth of Exercise-Induced Immune Suppression: Redefining the Impact of Exercise on Immunological Health Across the Lifespan"
Front. Immunol., 16 April 2018 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.00648

Jonathan
paddler

Post by paddler »

A friend of mine was telling me that whilst he was hiking The Appalachian Trail he met two American doctors. They told him that he would be so fit when he finished that he would be very unlikely to get even a cold for at least six months after finishing.

And he didn't.

However, when I did it four years later I got one within a couple of months, so it doesn't necessarily follow.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

paddler wrote:A friend of mine was telling me that whilst he was hiking The Appalachian Trail he met two American doctors. They told him that he would be so fit when he finished that he would be very unlikely to get even a cold for at least six months after finishing.

And he didn't.

However, when I did it four years later I got one within a couple of months, so it doesn't necessarily follow.

Dave

ah but you didnt get the advice from a doctor - placebo effect right to the subconscious
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Being so fit you never get a cold.
That is bunkum of course :)
I hardly ever get a cold its got nothing to do with being fit at all.
I simply don't come into contact with many people at all and I certainly don't touch things that other people have touched and then eat.
If you wanna stop getting colds don't touch things that other people have touched before you eat anything.
So the last thing you do before you eat is wash your hands.
A kettle handle is a brilliant place to transfer those nasties.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
paddler

Post by paddler »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Being so fit you never get a cold.
That is bunkum of course :)
I hardly ever get a cold its got nothing to do with being fit at all.
I simply don't come into contact with many people at all and I certainly don't touch things that other people have touched and then eat.
If you wanna stop getting colds don't touch things that other people have touched before you eat anything.
So the last thing you do before you eat is wash your hands.
A kettle handle is a brilliant place to transfer those nasties.

When we got married we could never understand why my sister in law and her family always had colds. Then we had kids, they mixed with other kids and bang, we knew!

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you want to start freaking out and see the real truth behind covid-19 watch Utopia ( 2020) from Amazon

[youtube]IastSMSmWgw[/youtube]

This is a sanitised version of the UK original but still not bad
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Are you saying the the real truth is that the virus that causes COVID-19 was made by scientists?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My mum & dad passed on a fatal condition to me... it's genetic. I'm told I'm not going to survive - be the first person ever, if I do, apparently. Not that I want to to live for ever, mind!
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's been a flurry of media reports suggesting that there's a shortage of flu jabs at the mo. I thought I'd read somewhere that this year there would be two different versions of the jab, one targetted at olies and another at younger vulnerable groups.