Flu 'jab'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Flu 'jab'

Post by simonineaston »

So, it was like this: 10:15 Saturday, tiny 'scratch', no symptoms 'till mid-afternoon, when left arm began to feel slightly stiff. By evening, my left arm was aching a lot, but only when I moved it. By Sunday morning, ache nearly all gone. No other symptoms. Am now looking forward to a flu-free winter...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
millimole

Re: Flu 'jab'

Post by millimole »

I had mine on Wednesday morning - first time.

Injection very high up almost into my shoulder joint, which hurt like stink - but I'm a brave little soldier and didn't flinch.
On Thursday & Friday I had 'flu like' symptoms - aching joints and muscles plus being very fatigued. I took paracetamol which helped a bit, but on Friday evening I decided on my normal 'cold cure' and had an extremely hot bath. Saturday morning I felt as right as rain, but four hours at the allotment, I must admit, left me completely whacked!

Yes, I'll have the vaccination again next year, because a couple of days of inconvenience is far better than a life threatening illness.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Had it once 28 years ago -- took a bad flu haven't had it or flu since. I seldom take colds either but I think I'll take the flu jab this year cos I've been told you can take flu and have covid19 on top of that cos it's not a flu it's a cold type virus.
I am here. Where are you?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

It's a bit early in the season for it: the antibodies it engenders could well have died away by March, but the flu will still be with us. In France we're still waiting for our freebie coupon.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been having a flu jab every year for the last fifteen years and during that time I've had neither noticeable side effects nor flu. I had my most recent last Saturday and all OK so far.

Previously, I've had occasional bouts of flu-like symptoms which really knocked me out. In the Summer of 1982 on holiday at New Galloway I had a bout which lasted most of a fortnight in a bad way. I've no hesitation in going for flu jabs.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As above: even if you haven't taken up the offer before please consider it this year.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
simonineaston wrote:So, it was like this: 10:15 Saturday, tiny 'scratch', no symptoms 'till mid-afternoon, when left arm began to feel slightly stiff. By evening, my left arm was aching a lot, but only when I moved it. By Sunday morning, ache nearly all gone. No other symptoms. Am now looking forward to a flu-free winter...

That's very usual for me too.
Only once has it affected me for about three weeks, I was only about 90 to 95% on performance.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:As above: even if you haven't taken up the offer before please consider it this year.

Jonathan

Don't know whether to or not. Have never actually had flu but assume it's not too bad as people off work with it seem to be back in a couple of days or so.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:As above: even if you haven't taken up the offer before please consider it this year.

Don't know whether to or not. Have never actually had flu but assume it's not too bad as people off work with it seem to be back in a couple of days or so.

It's mild for some, it's serious for some, it's fatal for some. And "flu" is commonly used for upper respiratory tract infections that aren't caused by the influenza virus...

Jonathan

PS: The number whom it does kill is currently being used in attempts to show the insignificance of COVID-19!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Touch of Flu :mrgreen:

My GP said if you have flu and there is a fifty pound note in your garden you won't cant get out of bed!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

never actually had flu
It's so hard to tell! The little blighters come & go, leaving most of us with only 'symptoms' to use to guess wot we might have had. Back over Christmas 2009 I got a dose of what all involved decided was H1N1 aka Swine Flu, which I didn't enjoy, at all. Diagnosis was verbal, by phone - my GP not wanting to come too near. Treatment limited to rest & paracetamol. As to whether it really was an influenza, who knows?!
It is estimated that in the 2009 flu pandemic 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million to 1.4 billion people, contracted the illness—more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. Actual fatalities ranged between 12,000 and 18,000. However, in a 2012 study, the CDC estimated more than 284,000 possible fatalities worldwide, with range from 150,000 to 575,000. In August 2010, the World Health Organization declared the swine flu pandemic officially over.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The good news is that if you follow the mask/social-distancing rules for Covid-19 your chances of catching flu are seriously diminished. Get vaccinated on top of that and the epidemic should be nipped in the bud.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote:The good news is that if you follow the mask/social-distancing rules for Covid-19 your chances of catching flu are seriously diminished. Get vaccinated on top of that and the epidemic should be nipped in the bud.

Good point.

And see what's happened in the Southern Hemisphere where they've just had their winter flu season.

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have colds and I go to bed for a few days ( dont need much excuse for that :lol: ) but as for flu only once a summer time long ago it was August Bank Holiday and I was in bed for 2+ weeks while people were out in the sun and heat having fun :evil:

I havent bothered with the flu jab I suspect it would give me the flu from what people above are saying. I keep my self to my self any way during winter time.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote:

Jonathan

My wife once had it and she never got out of bed for 4 days, really knocked her for six. I don't think I have ever had the flu, haven't had a cold since fukashima - haven't had a puncture this year either....

with all the social distancing at the moment nobody should be getting the flu or a cold this year. May be they should have £100 FPN for any one getting a cold as its proof they are not following the rules.