Flu 'jab'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk
Posts: 4035
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby Jdsk » 27 Sep 2020, 2:51pm

mercalia wrote:I havent bothered with the flu jab I suspect it would give me the flu from what people above are saying.

That's probably a bad bet.

Jonathan

thirdcrank
Posts: 30145
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Sep 2020, 4:07pm

I'm a bit surprised that the admittedly small sample on here contains so many non-takers. I have (socially-distanced) contact with quite a lot of people of my generation and though I'm often out-of-step on things like Brexit, all seem to be committed to flu jabs. In a normal year when anti-covid measures have not been in force at the health centre, I see many familiar faces there around the same time as me.

I know that some injections have been the subject of adverse publicity: does this apply to the flu jab?

Jdsk
Posts: 4035
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby Jdsk » 27 Sep 2020, 4:11pm

thirdcrank wrote:I know that some injections have been the subject of adverse publicity: does this apply to the flu jab?

There have been some rather startling opinion polls on vaccinations in the UK recently, and I suspect that it might.

As above: I'm not sure that the threshold for vaccination against seasonal flu has previously been correctly set. This year is different.

Jonathan

pete75
Posts: 13442
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby pete75 » 27 Sep 2020, 4:31pm

Jdsk wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I know that some injections have been the subject of adverse publicity: does this apply to the flu jab?

There have been some rather startling opinion polls on vaccinations in the UK recently, and I suspect that it might.

As above: I'm not sure that the threshold for vaccination against seasonal flu has previously been correctly set. This year is different.

Jonathan

Vaccinations I know I've had are diphtheria, polio, TB and smallpox. I think all kids get those along with MMR these days.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3824
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby simonineaston » 27 Sep 2020, 4:36pm

with all the social distancing at the moment nobody should be getting the flu or a cold this year
I agree - it has been in the back of my mind to wonder whether, under the current arrangements, a massive & expensive push to put out a 'flu vaccine is the one thing that doesn't need to happen. In some ways, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I took the view that if it was free and at very low risk to me, I might as well take up the offer. And if they were truly going to follow The Science, they could have said, "Cyclists need not apply, as you're all so bloomin' fit..."!
byyeee,
SiE

Phileas
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 6:12pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby Phileas » 27 Sep 2020, 4:39pm

pete75 wrote:Vaccinations I know I've had are diphtheria, polio, TB and smallpox. I think all kids get those along with MMR these days.

Well, perhaps not all apparently...

pete75
Posts: 13442
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby pete75 » 27 Sep 2020, 4:50pm

simonineaston wrote:
with all the social distancing at the moment nobody should be getting the flu or a cold this year
I agree - it has been in the back of my mind to wonder whether, under the current arrangements, a massive & expensive push to put out a 'flu vaccine is the one thing that doesn't need to happen. In some ways, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I took the view that if it was free and at very low risk to me, I might as well take up the offer. And if they were truly going to follow The Science, they could have said, "Cyclists need not apply, as you're all so bloomin' fit..."!

Fitness grants no immunity from the effects of bacteria or virus and it can make some diseases worse.

Phileas
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 6:12pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby Phileas » 27 Sep 2020, 5:42pm

Although I think there may be evidence that staying fit delays the age related decline in the body’s immune system.

peetee
Posts: 2623
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby peetee » 27 Sep 2020, 6:44pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Touch of Flu :mrgreen:

My GP said if you have flu and there is a fifty pound note in your garden you won't cant get out of bed!


I know what he means. I had it in once and will never refer to a bad cold as ‘flu’ ever again. I was in bed for a week, slept most of the time, barely ate and ached from top to toe.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

mercalia
Posts: 14493
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby mercalia » 27 Sep 2020, 6:48pm

peetee wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Touch of Flu :mrgreen:

My GP said if you have flu and there is a fifty pound note in your garden you won't cant get out of bed!


I know what he means. I had it in once and will never refer to a bad cold as ‘flu’ ever again. I was in bed for a week, slept most of the time, barely ate and ached from top to toe.


I have never had anything like that

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5485
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby cycleruk » 27 Sep 2020, 7:49pm

Had the Flu jab yesterday and no sign of any reaction - yet. :roll: :)
My wife had hers during the week and has a bruise and sore arm.

Wen I wer a lad at junior school, (1956-ish) there was an outbreak of flu. Out of the 400 or so people in the school, Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 12358
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 27 Sep 2020, 8:24pm

Hi,
cycleruk wrote:Had the Flu jab yesterday and no sign of any reaction - yet. :roll: :)
My wife had hers during the week and has a bruise and sore arm.

Wen I wer a lad at junior school, (1956-ish) there was an outbreak of flu. Out of the 400 or so people in the school, Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.

We had a Peter Sidebottom in my year! 70's.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

peetee
Posts: 2623
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby peetee » 27 Sep 2020, 8:26pm

cycleruk wrote:Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.


Perhaps it’s genetic. Do you have a strangely angled posterior too? 8)
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

mercalia
Posts: 14493
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby mercalia » 27 Sep 2020, 8:27pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
cycleruk wrote:Had the Flu jab yesterday and no sign of any reaction - yet. :roll: :)
My wife had hers during the week and has a bruise and sore arm.

Wen I wer a lad at junior school, (1956-ish) there was an outbreak of flu. Out of the 400 or so people in the school, Peter Sidebottom and me were the only two people who didn't contract it.

We had a Peter Sidebottom in my year! 70's.


Our Biology Teacher was a Mr B-a-s-t-a-r-d. I had a school friend who later became a doctor whose surname was Coffin. There was a girl whose surname was Greengrass

Cowsham
Posts: 822
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Flu 'jab'

Postby Cowsham » 27 Sep 2020, 9:00pm

My wife went to school in England and had a teacher called Miss Pratt from Pratt's Bottom. Some very silly names of people in England.