How wide is a bike?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

For the purpose of educating Motorists (and Cyclists), How wide is a bicycle

1. 0.5 m
24%
2. 1.0 m
38%
3. 1.5 m
7%
4. 2.0 m
4%
5. 2.5 m
2%
6. 3.0 m
18%
7. 3.5 m
7%

Total votes: 45

freeflow

How wide is a bike?

Post by freeflow »

For a bit of educational fun. This poll has been prompted by a couple of discussions on this forum and watching some cycling crusader videos. You can choose two options to indicate a range. The poll will run for 14 days. Have fun
freeflow

Re: How wide is a bike?

Post by freeflow »

My vote, as the poll originator, would be 2.5 to 3m depending on whether or not the bike is passing parked cars.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think I’m missing something here :D
Is that really the question you’re asking? Mine are upto 700 mm
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

you might have to use your imagination a little. But yes, its a serious question.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, I say 1 metre, the width of my elbows when riding!
But if the question becomes "How Wide is a Cycle?", then the answer can be much wider. Check out the width of a "Hen and Chickens" machine :lol: MM
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

My widest tricycle is 750mm. My widest bicycle is 480mm, being the width of my saddlebag. The current trend in MTB handlebars is 800mm. I suppose the nearest in the voting options is 1 metre.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My bent trike will only just fit through a 800 mm gap.
So it's about the same with as a bike.
But I do tend to take up more room on the road because I like to keep my left hand front wheel on the same line that a bikes wheels would take.
The means that my right hand front wheel is definitely further out than the ends of any bikes handlebar.

Luck ........... D:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Five or six feet does it for me.

Metric?
Brexit! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

freeflow wrote:My vote, as the poll originator, would be 2.5 to 3m depending on whether or not the bike is passing parked cars.

The question was "how wide is a bike?" not "how wide is a van or lorry?" and the width of a bike doesn't change when it passes a parked car. I really don't understand your answer.
Richard M
Cardiff
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Is the question “how wide is a bike” or “how wide should a bike be persieved to be”?
I think the OP has a point to make which will become apparent when the poll ends?
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

FerociousDog wrote:Is the question “how wide is a bike” or “how wide should a bike be persieved to be”?
I think the OP has a point to make which will become apparent when the poll ends?

Or even "how much space should a motor vehicle leave when passing a bike?"
Richard M
Cardiff
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

richardfm wrote:
FerociousDog wrote:Is the question “how wide is a bike” or “how wide should a bike be persieved to be”?

Or even "how much space should a motor vehicle leave when passing a bike?"

Are you safe if the traffic is giving you around 3 feet clearance but you're only inches from the curb ??
I think "What minimum empty envelope width do you need to feel safe when cycling" is a better question.
I like to be able to stretch both arms out sideways without the risk of losing a fingertip on anything.
So around 5'8"/1.75 m or just over twice the width of my trike is around my minimum envelope.

Luck ............ :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

As a direct answer to the question, my bikes are no more than 0.5m wide. If I put full panniers on I expect they go a bit over that, but not much. MTB bars (which I don't like) go wider, but still less than 1m. So 1m just about covers bike width.

If I saw a 3.5m wide bike I would take a photo.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all, Why the "Narrow Minded Minded" Bike word? All statutes regarding rod provision & safety state "Cycles", so widen to question and he outlook!
No one asks how wide a car is, because they vary so much, so it is with cycles. To put it clearly "Cycling is a Broad Church". MM
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It depends on the time of day, the state of the ground, the prevailing wind, the available light and the individual driver - and more, I expect! If the relevant driver is in a foul mood, loaded with drugs and bordline psychotic, I'll take all the width you've got thanks...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)