How wide is a bike?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

For the purpose of educating Motorists (and Cyclists), How wide is a bicycle

1. 0.5 m
26%
2. 1.0 m
37%
3. 1.5 m
7%
4. 2.0 m
5%
5. 2.5 m
2%
6. 3.0 m
16%
7. 3.5 m
7%

Total votes: 43

Oldjohnw

Re: How wide is a bike?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Oct 2020, 7:24am

I must say my bike isn't 3m long let alone wide.

The actual question and what it is trying to get at are different things, it seems. Not a helpful approach to this more literal person but each to their own.
John

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Oct 2020, 8:58am

Ellieb wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Ellieb wrote:I take it that those who answered 3.0m and above dutifully stop their bikes and wait when faced by a 2.5m gap in traffic such as one on the inside of a car waiting to turn right? Thought not.
There is all the difference in the world between a cyclist negotiating a narrow gap and a motorist passing a moving cyclist with enough energy to kill the cyclist several times over.

Anyone equating the two is an idiot

Sadly I wasn't equating the two. I was pointing out that if you genuinely think a bike is 3 metres wide you are going to end up in some funny situations on the road because it seems this isn't a question about how much room to give a cyclist. Clearly it is about how wide a bike is.... apparently

Not sadly at all. I’m glad to hear it.

A bike might be “440mm wide”, but no one sane would cycle through a gap that small, traditionally a bike has been considered to be between 3 and 4 feet wide due to the dynamic width required to keep the black bits pointing down - combined of course with the width of the riders (a quick and dirty measurement of my shoulders puts this rider over 50cm wide, making the bike widths quoted above a bit pointless).
At lower speeds that dynamic width increases (unless you are Danny Macaskill).

However the true width of a bike as perceived by anyone less vulnerable than the rider should be the traffic lane occupied - with exceptions to that (very wide lanes) being pretty rare.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 13 Oct 2020, 1:15pm

I can’t help thinking that wording of the original post is somehow wrong. I’ve voted for 1.0 metre as that’s enough of a gap for me and my bike to get through and the next lower value (0.5 metres) is almost certainly not. However I recon a motorist should aim to allow more than that width, aiming to leave a metre or more between cyclist and vehicle seems a reasonable start point to me - give me 2.0 metres out from the kerb please.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 13 Oct 2020, 1:32pm

Brings to mind the story I read in one of the Guy Martin books. He was practicing for a mountain bike race and decided he'd use the lorry inspection pit to practice jumps so he set up a ramp to get some air before landing inside the pit.

His words were " he thought to himself, while laying at the bottom of the pit with a broken thumb and dislocated rotator cuff, -- at no time during the setting up of the ramp or even flying though the air did I wonder if the handle bars were wider than the pit !!! "
Last edited by Cowsham on 13 Oct 2020, 2:10pm, edited 2 times in total.

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 13 Oct 2020, 1:37pm

Carlton green wrote:I can’t help thinking that wording of the original post is somehow wrong. I’ve voted for 1.0 metre as that’s enough of a gap for me and my bike to get through and the next lower value (0.5 metres) is almost certainly not. However I recon a motorist should aim to allow more than that width, aiming to leave a metre or more between cyclist and vehicle seems a reasonable start point to me - give me 2.0 metres out from the kerb please.

You're not the only one.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 13 Oct 2020, 2:11pm

richardfm wrote:
Carlton green wrote:I can’t help thinking that wording of the original post is somehow wrong. I’ve voted for 1.0 metre as that’s enough of a gap for me and my bike to get through and the next lower value (0.5 metres) is almost certainly not. However I recon a motorist should aim to allow more than that width, aiming to leave a metre or more between cyclist and vehicle seems a reasonable start point to me - give me 2.0 metres out from the kerb please.

You're not the only one.

+ 1 hence the Guy Martin story.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 22 Oct 2020, 2:58pm

I reckon that’s 14 days and all will be revealed :D
I’m sure that’s what @ freeflow promised but I can no longer find that OP post has it been deleted or was I dreaming?
Whatever I’m still eagerly awaiting the explanation :wink:

Edit: found it!
by freeflow » 8 Oct 2020, 2:50pm

For a bit of educational fun. This poll has been prompted by a couple of discussions on this forum and watching some cycling crusader videos. You can choose two options to indicate a range. The poll will run for 14 days. Have fun
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 22 Oct 2020, 3:11pm

Gosh, that went quick. I'd assumed I'd get a notification as to when the poll closed. As I'm just off on a 90 km ride I'm afraid you'll have to wait until tomorrow.