Dogs: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love dogs?

Yes
47%
No
27%
Prefer cats
17%
Love all animals
7%
NIMBY
3%
Not sure yet
No votes

Total votes: 30

Cyril Haearn

Dogs: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Today 10.X is World Dog Day!
(And Mental Health Day)

Why do you love (or dislove) dogs?

Dogs or cats, which are more useful?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 3 May 2021, 1:41pm, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Re: Dogs: Why? Why not?

Post by pwa »

I was having a car serviced a few days ago and the garage owner, who I have known for decades, was telling me about the torrid time he has had over the past year with his wife being very ill. As he spoke his dog, a very quiet and calm little fellow, climbed onto his lap and looked up at him. And the garage owner told me that if it hadn't been for the companionship of his dog he didn't know how he would have got over the last few months. Being with the dog on walks had given him breaks from his concerns, allowing him to focus on the dog's simple enjoyment of swims in the river. For many people dogs are a great help with mental health.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

just wonderful to be around, they are so positive, enthusiastic, happy and full of life - some of it just rubs off. It's difficult not to join in and smile when in the company of a daft mutt.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I like trained dogs.

I do not like the dogs that bark and howl for hours on end, even with owner present and the "little fluffys" that can do no wrong when they are snapping at my ankles. I have a photograph of me sitting in a doorway with an arm around a Rottweiler, very well trained, whereas some friends and I would vacate the house when the parents had visitors with downright evil Border Collies.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Though I quote myself from another thread it seems relevant to add this here:

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert
10.X is world mental health day
It is also world dog day :wink:

“I should get around to reading through this thread. As we go about our daily lives the importance of good physical and good mental health really isn’t that understood ...

Sadly my own Dog died a year ago. I can only say that if he was typical of Dogs then they are the best medicine ever; they’re certainly not without costs and inconveniences but I don’t for one moment have regrets about having had a Dog. When the current C19 difficulties have been resolved I’ll be considering whether to and then possibility how to welcome another Dog into my life.

If you are minded to have one then Dogs are a long term commitment (circa fifteen years of responsibility); only get one if you can properly care for it and properly provide for it.”

pwa wrote:I was having a car serviced a few days ago and the garage owner, who I have known for decades, was telling me about the torrid time he has had over the past year with his wife being very ill. As he spoke his dog, a very quiet and calm little fellow, climbed onto his lap and looked up at him. And the garage owner told me that if it hadn't been for the companionship of his dog he didn't know how he would have got over the last few months. Being with the dog on walks had given him breaks from his concerns, allowing him to focus on the dog's simple enjoyment of swims in the river. For many people dogs are a great help with mental health.

Whilst out I happened upon a Terrier who had strayed from his home and onto a road. He was picked up to have his name tag read with a view to returning him home. Perhaps I’m unusual but all I can say is that in those moments of holding the dog and seeing him safely on his way home he briefly brought me a ton of joy. A Dog isn’t for everyone and every dog is slightly different, but I can relate to how the garage owner felt.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I suppose spending time with an elephant or a giraffe could prove therapeutic,and promote good health,but nwould yoiu want one curled up at yiour feet while watching TV? I would find the acts of breaking wind and licking genitals quite unappealling.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mumbojumbo wrote:I suppose spending time with an elephant or a giraffe could prove therapeutic,and promote good health,but nwould yoiu want one curled up at yiour feet while watching TV? I would find the acts of breaking wind and licking genitals quite unappealling.

There is a theory that humans and domesticated dogs have evolved together, their relationship becoming hard wired into them. There is no other creature that I know of that embeds itself into a human family like a dog can.

Elephants and giraffes would play havoc with the carpets too.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

We have eschewed carpets in favour of treated boards-more hygenic and virtually free,so both animals could be permitted given a quick mop round after they leave for the park.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's almost impossible not to like dogs, with their endless enthusiasm and energy, as well as behaviour we simple-minded humans construe as affection * - what I do not like is humans who abuse & mistreat dogs. This includes humans who pay for 'pedigree' dogs, that have been deliberately bred into shapes & forms which result in stess or discomfort to the animal concerned. Simple vanity, on the part of the humans, which I despise.
Dog trainers will tell you that there is no such thing as an uncontrollably aggressive dog - such animals are simply reacting to being mistreated by us...
* We remove them from their natural pack - of course they're going to respond positively to us - we're the only 'pack' left to them...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Many purchasers of pedigrees may be unaware of the circumstances you describe,and cannot be held culpable.I wonder whether your allegations are based on primary evidence or simply learnt from conversation.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Worse are those who pay extortionate amounts for mongrels aka “designer breeds”
Cockapoo,Labradoodle’insert-daft-cross-breed-name-here”.
£2500 for a Cockerpoo....they’re having a laugh!

Dogs are mans best friend.I can’t imagine not having a dog.It makes a family complete.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

So you would not approve of my plan to buy a Chihuahansen which is a melange of Mexican and Danish heritage,as a companion for my mother?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Why are these people "worse"? There's much to be said for mongrels, even fashionable ones.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mumbojumbo wrote:We have eschewed carpets in favour of treated boards-more hygenic and virtually free,so both animals could be permitted given a quick mop round after they leave for the park.

Obviously you would need a big shovel and a high ceiling, but otherwise I see no issues with keeping a giraffe or an elephant in the house. The neighbours might kick up a fuss if you live in a flat.....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is nothing to beat a Welsh Collie
Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies